Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first ride in an SRT 4 last night. My friend just picked up a red one. He is keeping it under 4k rpms until its broken in so he didn't let loose at all. Nice car overall but didn't feel like it handled quite as well as my RL. That exhaust sounds awesome. I'm sure at some point over the summer we will have to trade cars for the day. I'd like to get a chance to take it for a ride. Ever since I got my RL, he has told me just about everyday how much he loves my car.

I was amazed at how cheap he got his insurance for the SRT 4. He went with progressive and his insurance is something like $800 for the whole year. And I thought I thought I was doing well with $105/month.

·
Registered
943 Posts
There are still some insurance companies that don't know cars such as the Redline and SRT$ exist, but they are getting few and far between. But those companies in the dark just list it as a Ion Quad Coupe or as in the case of the SRTY, a four door compact. State farm did charge extra for being a redline, but just went up $40 a year due to "Claim Experience" So whoever with state farm wrecked their Redline, thanks...

As for the SRT, they are fun to drive, but no, the handling is not as good as the RedLine. In real twisty roads, the RedLine shines. The only on eI have driven was highly modded and was a handful to drive at speed. He was making just short of 300 hp. It was very peaky with the turbo, so to get the most out of it, I had to keep it at higher RPM. A stock car seems like it would be a bit more pleasant.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it for a ride tonight. Handles decent, but its no redline. The transmission and clutch feel a lot smoother than the redline, though. I was still keeping it under 4000 rpm's but still had some fun with it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
How could you not just smash it and see what it really had? Was he a little 'nervous' with you driving?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer told him to keep it under 4000 rpms until he gets 500 miles so he is doing that for now. Its hard to do. I didnt wanna drive it to hard since its not mine. Ill be sure to get in the driver's seat again next week once he hits the 500 mark. then we'll see what its got.

·
Registered
411 Posts
brk_05 said:
The dealer told him to keep it under 4000 rpms until he gets 500 miles so he is doing that for now. Its hard to do. I didnt wanna drive it to hard since its not mine. Ill be sure to get in the driver's seat again next week once he hits the 500 mark. then we'll see what its got.

I would do whatever the manual says. Unless the dealer is quoting the manual.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Damn! $800 for the whole year???????? Maybe I need to go back to Progressive. I'm payin more than that every 6 months and I've no accidents in the last 8 years and only 1 ticket (seatbelt) in the last 7 years. Looks like I'll be making a phone call soon. And yeah about the 4k till 500 thing. Everyone I know that's bought one has been told to do the same. Supposedly it's much more healthy for the turbo. I'm still waitin to see another RL around me. So far only a blue one and he doesn't seem like the performance enthusiast or racing type. Pretty car though. I mist admit at first I wasn't sure about them looks wise. But the more I've gotten to see of one up close = sexiness. Happy boosting fellas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts