Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the different options to achieve some negative camber in the front and rear. I know eibach makes camber bolts to adjust the fronts up to 1.75 but what other options are their for the front and rear. (new to this) working with a buddy who is used to his s2k trying to achieve a more flush/ stanced out look.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
You can't really do anything to the rear. Except for looks, you wouldn't want to anyway because it hurts handling.

Fronts you can do camber bolts or slot the strut tower, but unless you're cranking every turn, you're going to wear the inside edges of your tires much faster.

probably your simplest solution is to use good 5mm spacers.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I just ordered some camber alignment bolts to achieve -1.75 and ordered shims for the rear not sure how much it will change it though does anybody know?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
you mean camber shims? don't use them. you will bind up the brakes.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm assuming he means these.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
You can't really do anything to the rear. Except for looks, you wouldn't want to anyway because it hurts handling.
You're just not going to get much support in pursuing hellaflush negative camber here. Not good for the car either in handling or reliability and I don't think anyone here is looking to make their car worse on purpose.

It's your friends car, he can do what he wants but if you want hellaflush, mexiflush or toiletflush you're going to have to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're just not going to get much support in pursuing hellaflush negative camber here. Not good for the car either in handling or reliability and I don't think anyone here is looking to make their car worse on purpose.

It's your friends car, he can do what he wants but if you want hellaflush, mexiflush or toiletflush you're going to have to look elsewhere.
interesting considering the older threads posted here have guys racing with -2 and -3 in the rear but apparently it serves no function.....?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
interesting considering the older threads posted here have guys racing with -2 and -3 in the rear but apparently it serves no function.....?
only person I know of that ran negative camber in the rear was ScottHerbert and he had -1.5 by using shims, not -2 or -3.

quotes from the shortbus...

Adding to my earlier, if any of you have an 07 or earlier (I had an 06 Redline) and you look closely at the rear axle, you'll see that the hub bolts through a steel plate and the caliper bolts to that steel plate - and the plate is separate from the axle. It's easy to shim the entire plate out to 1.5 degrees of negative -- I did it and autocrossed that way for some time (BTW, the shims are nylon and steel and I found no significant wear after more than 25,000 miles of use).
He was also on Hoosier A6's for racing.

Warren Wang, who is another respected delta racer said he wanted less traction in the rear

Let us know if you manage to make this work. I'd be more interested in it for the toe adjustment than camber. I'm happy with how my tires perform in back. I need LESS traction in back, not more :p
I just googled "rear negative camber ion redline"

Your choice again but not something I would pursue given the heavy understeer tendencies of the platform. Apologies as I misunderstood the hellaflush reference was to your friend.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not something I would pursue given the heavy understeer tendencies of the platform.
This....I want our trailing arm to get the hell around in the corner, not keep me in it.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
you DO NOT want more negative rear camber.

it will make the car understeer more.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
older threads also have people running 2.5" pulleys and boost bypass mod and all kinds of other weird things we consider "no-nos" today.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for my rant. I do appreciate the help since I am not familiar with this sort of idea. Just seems like overtime someone tries something different some people on here seem to bash it before it even starts. I want a pretty aggressive stanched look. My car is not a daily driven car. it actually doesn't get to see the road as often as it should. It basically goes from my garage to a show or meet and then back. which hopefully will be changing this summer but either way I am looking to get a little camber so I can tuck some rather wide rims in both the front and rear. Dom from here started working on this a while back and stopped updating so im starting from scratch. He seemed to have more problems in the front then in the rear so its possible the rear will need no camber. which would be good considering your above statements. thanks for the help. and any pictures would help. looking to pick up adapters this week just trying to play around with the numbers so i order the right set.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sorry for my rant. I do appreciate the help since I am not familiar with this sort of idea. Just seems like overtime someone tries something different some people on here seem to bash it before it even starts. I want a pretty aggressive stanched look. My car is not a daily driven car. it actually doesn't get to see the road as often as it should. It basically goes from my garage to a show or meet and then back. which hopefully will be changing this summer but either way I am looking to get a little camber so I can tuck some rather wide rims in both the front and rear. Dom from here started working on this a while back and stopped updating so im starting from scratch. He seemed to have more problems in the front then in the rear so its possible the rear will need no camber. which would be good considering your above statements. thanks for the help. and any pictures would help. looking to pick up adapters this week just trying to play around with the numbers so i order the right set.
I was too lazy to read indepth about your whole situation but if you're trying to do stance for the S2k then send [email protected] a message on the forum.. hes a buddy of mine and has a slammed s2k.. he has some knowledge on the subject and knows ppl with A LOT of knowledge on stance in general.. easiest way to find him is to search my thread haters gonna hate and go to the last few pages and he should have some responses there.. i'll let him know you need some help

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks for the advice but i think you misread it or i cant type. his s2k is doing pretty well im looking to do a mildly stanced car that is still functional for what i use it for. shows
I was too lazy to read indepth about your whole situation but if you're trying to do stance for the S2k then send [email protected] a message on the forum.. hes a buddy of mine and has a slammed s2k.. he has some knowledge on the subject and knows ppl with A LOT of knowledge on stance in general.. easiest way to find him is to search my thread haters gonna hate and go to the last few pages and he should have some responses there.. i'll let him know you need some help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just from working with Author, I do know that, if you're going to use an adapter, make it as thin as you can. Even the stock redline wheels don't offer a ton of room for lower offset wheels. Are you going to be doing any work to the fenders? Does your friend with the S2K have any stock AP2 rear wheels? If he does, try test fitting those when you find some adapters. They're 17x8.5 +65 if I remember correctly. I know that is not as wide as you would like, but it might give you a better idea of how much offset you will need in whatever wheels you pick out. You also said something about running stretched tires. Any thoughts on about what sizes you would be using? Sorry to answer aquestion that wasn't directed at me in the first place with a ton more questions but you may be able to get away with less camber than you think if you take the right steps.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
currently I am lowered 1.75" all around so im most likely going to be forced to pick up coilovers. any and all advice would be appreciated. I am not familiar with this sort of thing. I do body work and systems on the side not this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Props to your friend for running those wheel sizes on the S2000 too. I want to go with some wider wheels but my low budget for parts and the fact that I REALLY don't want to have to pull my fenders is keeping me from it. Any clue what kind of offsets he's running?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those wheels of his friend's would probably not do a whole lot for you. When I was looking at adapters for redlines with Author, some of the smallest that we found were 20mm. That would mean that those wheels will effectively be 9.5 with an offset of -5. The Battles you were talking about would be 9.5 +3. Any clue what the sizes are on your current wheels? I can crunch some numbers right quick to at least give you an idea of the difference. I would say that you will probably want to hunt for lower offsets if possible. Battles are sick wheels though, seen a few nice looking cars with them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts