Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone experienced humming coming from the front end? We're talking loud. Louder than my engine at cruising speed (and that's saying something)

It gets louder with speed (not engine revs) and does not seem like a wheel bearing (turning does not change the sound as far as I can tell)

It sounds like a loud tire noise. That being said, I just rotated my tires to see if the noise would follow the tires (it didn't) and one of the tires was worn pretty unevenly (front right). Could the noise and tire wear be a symptom of something else?

I am usually extremely good at pinpointing exactly where a sound is coming from on my car, but this low drum of a noise is VERY hard to pinpoint, other than 'front end'

Unfortunately I don't have space in the shop to tear it apart any time soon, the wife's car entire front end is torn apart in my spare space to replace struts and stab bar. So any ideas are gonna have to wait to get tested for about 2 weeks :(

Any help would be awesome!

EDIT: I have a bwoody rear trans mount. Maybe it's just become worn out and causing excess noise? I'm gonna swap it for the stocker tonight

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
it's most likely a wheel bearing. i just did one in a friend's cobalt that didn't change with load and didn't have any noticable play. it was really crunchy feeling when i took it off the car and spun it by hand.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
That sounds like my wheel bearing when it went. It was "louder" at 45ish. Louder range got wider as it got worse.

Try spinning the hub without the tire on. I saw mine after it was off and it moved like it had a detente built in, not smooth and even.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
well...in my opinion, it's not really that hard to take the hub off. remove the wheel, axle nut, caliper, and hub bolts and pop it off and see if it feels smooth or not. if not, well then you're already halfway done replacing it.

orrrr...put the front up on jackstands and put it in gear and let it run while you carefully listen to each side with a screwdriver as a stethoscope. i am not responsible if you get yourself run over.

·
Boost get some.
3,261 Posts
Our car is making the same noise also guess wheel bearing check time.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Is the timken bearing any good? I am very familiar with them in an industrial sense, but not automotive
I've never heard anything bad about them, and am running them in the rear on my car. The rear hubs looking higher quality than the factory ones from the outside, but of course I didn't take it apart to check anything...

·
Registered
94 Posts
laser_racer,

Are you going to be checking the wheel bearings yourself or will you be taking this in to the dealership? Just curious. My name is Michelle. I am assisting Laura while she is out of the office at this time.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

·
Boost get some.
3,261 Posts
O no lol. I had enough bad experience with chevy dealers so I started building my own motors and doing repairs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Laser_racer,

Thank you for the additional information. I completely understand your point of view with poor customer service.

I look forward to reading the updates as to what you find when you dig into the vehicle further. I love working on vehicles, but there just never seems to be enough time in a day.

I hope that you have a great weekend.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, at around 70mph, it was a little easier to diagnose. Noise got louder in left turns, and quieter in right, but only at high speed. Bearing is torn out and a new one is getting delivered today (timken)

Also, replacing the SMM with the stocker aloud me to hear it much better.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I was astounded how much quieter my car was after the bad bearing was replaced. It creeps up slowly on you getting louder slowly over a long time.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
rockauto.com has really good deals on wheel bearings for us

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the same type noise. I replaced my Wheel Bearings last summer.. I still hear it.

I am replacing the tires soon. I just ordered a new set of 4. So maybe its the tires.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, at around 70mph, it was a little easier to diagnose. Noise got louder in left turns, and quieter in right, but only at high speed.

How many miles are on your car? im replacing my bearings this weekend becuase of the same noise. i only have 62000 km on my car (32k-ish miles) seems like bearings should last a little longer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My car just started making this noise on the right front, but its only in 2nd and 3rd at about 4500-5500 rpms.. any ideas? I'm not sure if this helps either but when I go up my driveway I hear like a small clunk.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
need a video. probably two separate noises. lots of stuff going on on that side of the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts