Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Been awhile since I've posted something. Every problem I had I find the answer on here, So thanks for the help in the past.

The problems I'm having is, When driving going over small bumps I hear and rattling sound (not popping), Sometimes it keeps doing it for a few seconds after a bump. I've been looking all over the net and heard a few different thing's it could be. Control arm, Ball joints CV joints, Does anyone know what this could be? And has fix it? Is there a Step by Step walkthrough on this?

Another issue I'm having is, When breaking my steering wheel is shaking. I have brand new tires on it. I've read it could be a rotors?

Any INFO on this would be great! Thank you....

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
you gotta get under the car and shake stuff to find suspension rattles. likely culprits include: sway bar links, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, blown struts and sometimes strut mounts.

if your steering wheel jiggles when you brake, it's likely warped front rotors.

if you get one ...like... thunk when you brake, or if you get the car kind of wandering left and right under hard braking, i'd suspect control arm bushings.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My dads Titan shakes when stopping and it has warped rotors so the shaking is most likely warped rotors. Idk about the rest though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
control arm bushings.
Would control arm bushings cause my steering wheel to shake?
Rotor, Might be the problem but I have aftermarket drilled & slotted rotors on there, Can I turn them?

Would the Sway pin bushing cause the steering wheel to shake also?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
sorry. i went back and edited my post. i thought your two problems were related.

most places won't cut drilled or slotted rotors.

sway bar links and bushings have nothing to do with steering.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry. i went back and edited my post. i thought your two problems were related.

most places won't cut drilled or slotted rotors.

sway bar links and bushings have nothing to do with steering.
Ok thank you, Is there's a How-To that you might know of on any of the front end work?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
pick up a haynes or chilton's manual.

or, if you find a specific part loose, then i can help you out. most of it is self-explanatory, though. not gonna write R&R procedures out for every single suspension component.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you havent figured your problem out yet, dont worry, i know the answer. I work at a gm dealership, and these cars need intermediate steering shafts over and over again, because of this GM made them cheap, they are like 86 bucks on the nose, not installed. it is absolutely for sure without question the answer to your problem.

·
Registered
980 Posts
you gotta get under the car and shake stuff to find suspension rattles. likely culprits include: sway bar links, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, blown struts and sometimes strut mounts.

if your steering wheel jiggles when you brake, it's likely warped front rotors.

if you get one ...like... thunk when you brake, or if you get the car kind of wandering left and right under hard braking, i'd suspect control arm bushings.
this covers everything I could think of.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you havent figured your problem out yet, dont worry, i know the answer. I work at a gm dealership, and these cars need intermediate steering shafts over and over again, because of this GM made them cheap, they are like 86 bucks on the nose, not installed. it is absolutely for sure without question the answer to your problem.
How much installed?

My car has hella rattles on the freeway above 59mph coming from under the dash/ steering column area. It goes away if I give it a little steer to the right or left; enough to put tension on the wheel and slightly turn the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts