Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have theirs replaced? I mentioned it to the service tech today when I dropped off the car and he said he has never heard of the problem. I told him that mine had groves in them at 300 miles and my cousin Barry in Fl told me that a lot of Red Lines had this problem. He seemed not to impressed or concerned. He did comment on the extended crank time he experienced and I told him about the power surge at 4500 in 2nd and cold weather hard starting. He said that they would reflash the ECU and do the cam sensor seal recall. I go to pick up the car tomorrow at 5:30. He did say that he wanted a report back on the extended cranking time after the reflash, just so it wasn't related to other issues.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
if they cant be resurfaced to spec they will replace

·
Registered
754 Posts
I dont think it is worth the bother to resurface them.I am going to opt for new ones myself just not the ones saturn puts on.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I was told this is normal wear and not to be concerned. At least it is in the system and I have documentation if anything ever happens.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
one of my reasons for doing what i am. my car has under 1000 miles on it and my front rotors look likt they have been through 50K or so. they have fairly large gouging already on them!! i just cant believe that these stock ones are as bad as they are. ill have mine soon early next week get all you guys straightend out!!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Big Kit Please

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zfactor said:
one of my reasons for doing what i am. my car has under 1000 miles on it and my front rotors look likt they have been through 50K or so. they have fairly large gouging already on them!! i just cant believe that these stock ones are as bad as they are. ill have mine soon early next week get all you guys straightend out!!
This is what I told the service guy. He said that it must be normal. I told him to listen, I have an '02 Sunfire GT with the 2.2L ECOtec and it is about the same size and weight as the RL and it has ABS also and at 40,000+ miles the rotors look 5 times as good as the ones on the RL at 8200 miles. He also tried to tell me that the extended crank & hard starting are traits of modern fuel injected engines. WOAH there Bubba, I tell him. The same Sunfire has an ECOtec fuel injected engine in it and our 2.0L SOHC engine in the '00 Neon is a modern fuel injected engine and neither one exhibits the starting characteristics that the LSJ in the Red Line does. His story then goes to it's a Saturn problem that they have been battling since 1992. ... I just hope that these guys don't make my car run worse than when I dropped it off. So far I have not had one issue with this car that has prevented me from driving it or coming back home from a drive.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
The tech at my dealer admits the car has too many problems. Mine threw 7 codes yesterday. Dont care what they are but it goes in next week for some sensors. Anyways he hates the hesitation the car has no matter what you do to it the constant issues they have as well. Dont matter I have 92000 miles not to worry about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
This is what I told the service guy. He said that it must be normal. I told him to listen, I have an '02 Sunfire GT with the 2.2L ECOtec and it is about the same size and weight as the RL and it has ABS also and at 40,000+ miles the rotors look 5 times as good as the ones on the RL at 8200 miles. He also tried to tell me that the extended crank & hard starting are traits of modern fuel injected engines. WOAH there Bubba, I tell him. The same Sunfire has an ECOtec fuel injected engine in it and our 2.0L SOHC engine in the '00 Neon is a modern fuel injected engine and neither one exhibits the starting characteristics that the LSJ in the Red Line does. His story then goes to it's a Saturn problem that they have been battling since 1992. ... I just hope that these guys don't make my car run worse than when I dropped it off. So far I have not had one issue with this car that has prevented me from driving it or coming back home from a drive.
I just had my ECM reprogramed and cam position sensor recall done a few weeks ago and it makes a huge difference (for the better). Not a single instance of extended cranking since then. The car starts almost instantly every time! Not to mention that it runs a helluva lot smoother, too.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Signals said:
I just had my ECM reprogramed and cam position sensor recall done a few weeks ago and it makes a huge difference (for the better). Not a single instance of extended cranking since then. The car starts almost instantly every time! Not to mention that it runs a helluva lot smoother, too.
My update has been done for about 2 months and it will occasionally still take an extra second or two to crank over but nothing I cant live with.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Relating to brakes, I spoke at length with the brake technical team leader at my school (UTI), a former GM brake system engineer and technical instructor with 28 years in the field, and who just left the field last year to teach at our school.

I had my car in the shop doing PM with my class, and removed the brake rotors and showed him the scoring that seemed abnormal to me. He explained that the grooving and wear were perfecty normal for rotors used with ceramic pads. I had his class machine the rotors, even though I had no warpage, and the scoring is already back after 200 miles.

Normal. I'm convinced.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I also had gouging in my front rotors (these topics just seem to recycle over and over). Saturn told me it was normal.

Now, about 10,000 miles later, the front rotors are as smooth as the back rotors.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went to pick up the RL & it's not ready :>(

Went to the dealership and the service rep apologized for not getting to me before I left home. It seems the technician just handed him my paperwork and said he needed until tomorrow afternoon to finish up, it seems the software download (ECU reflash) was the unfinished issue. The cynical side of me wonders if they broke something doing the camshaft sensor recall and need until tomorrow to get some parts ordered in. With all of the horror stories that you hear, ya always wonder....

A side note, I mentioned to him the info that Jim Lewis posted about our brakes being ceramic and the rotor wear was a result of that fact. He stated that the tech and he were just discussing that about a half hour earlier and that's exactly what the technician said about the brake pads. He said that they were about the best brakes you could have on any car and a little rotor wear was well worth the price to get that kind of stopping power.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had my brakes resurfaced around 9000 miles or so because the steering wheel would vibrate while braking (covered under warranty at Saturn of Hurst). Having the rotors resurfaced did the trick. I am now roughly at 20,000 miles and the steering seems to be doing the same thing. I think this time I'm going to a brake shop and having them put some aftermarket performance pads/rotors perhaps. As far as the ECU reflash, I would ask to see your car because from what I understand that is only a 45 minute job. It does seem like something is wrong. They should've atleast given you the car back and asked you to bring it in some other day, unless as you state they did break something. I've had my Red Line for over a year now and I think I've been battling the ECU problem for quite some time. Hopefully one day they'll get it fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts