Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be an old subject, but im still trying to figure out why the f**k there is a safety code that cuts the fuel completely off at 6000rpms in first gear every f**king time . not only is it an embarasment at the track(tottaly killing your launch) im also wondering about detonation. does any body know how to make this pointless code go away. my best time at the track is a 14.6 and i know for a fact taking 1st all the way to 6550 without a cut off at 6000 (and after gOOfyguys torque brace installed) i can break a 14 with ease. please feed back if any body has any info, thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are you sure it's cutting off at 6000 or is it cutting off when the tach says 6K? If I remember correctly, the tach is around 500 RPM behind the motor under hard accel. If you're going by the tach, I'd say you're at the redline. A few members have said that a shift light makes a world of difference. I actually shift by ear now, planning on picking up the ladder tach by Saturn later. I've nipped the limiter in 1st a few times...yeah it is embarassing.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrome said:
Are you sure it's cutting off at 6000 or is it cutting off when the tach says 6K? If I remember correctly, the tach is around 500 RPM behind the motor under hard accel. If you're going by the tach, I'd say you're at the redline. A few members have said that a shift light makes a world of difference. I actually shift by ear now, planning on picking up the ladder tach by Saturn later. I've nipped the limiter in 1st a few times...yeah it is embarassing.

Later,
Chrome...
that makes total sense, 1st raps out too fast to control sometimes, feathering the gas is what ive been doing to avoid that, untill i put the brace on(and yes it works) tires are a smokin thanks chrome

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
That and to put light on the cutoff point best I can tell the tach is about 1/5th seconds behind not an actull RPM alotment. You go thorugh 1st in roughly 1.5 secs full sweep. That in mind I would actually best calculate that the tach is 300+/- behind at WOT in first gear. And less than 100 in second.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I know the tach feels slow in 1st but I've never once hit the limiter in 2nd, at least not when I was paying attention.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
goofyguy said:
That and to put light on the cutoff point best I can tell the tach is about 1/5th seconds behind not an actull RPM alotment. You go thorugh 1st in roughly 1.5 secs full sweep. That in mind I would actually best calculate that the tach is 300+/- behind at WOT in first gear. And less than 100 in second.
^ - Bingo

That's what it is, the tach isn't slow realtive to the RPMs, it's slow moving. The faster you're going through the gear, the farther off it is. In 3rd gear, I can go about a needle width before the limiter. Yet, in first gear it's almost 500 rpms behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts