Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been beaten to death, also that sports cars obviously use MORE gas than a normal car but I've never had a car THIS far off the "EPA ratings" for fuel economy.

For light city, moderate highway driving - ~20mpg
For heavy highway driving - ~25mpg.

Holy bejeebus batman!
I'll be addressing this with the service manager on the next service but dayum. That's just killing me; she puts more in gas in her vehicle than I do in mine, and I beat the snot out of my spec V while she treats her redline like a queen!

·
Registered
168 Posts
i just hit 500 miles in my redline and in mixed driving city and highway i'm getting about 19mpg. I've been told that after its broken in i should get around 24mpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've gotten as little as 16mpg or less for a whole tank. I'm jealous of you.

When I don't beat it, driving 46 miles roundtrip to work everday (highway) I see about 22-23. If I throttle it much and do passing cut that to 20-21.

I run Sunoco Super 94 Octane. I have no idea if it even gives me more power, but I know it gives me worse MPG

·
Registered
767 Posts
I am getting about 20 right now, and I am very about that. My 98 Jeep Cherokee got about 12 when I had it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been getting 23 to 24 in town and very little hwy.I haven't took mine on a long trip yet.It seems like it would get 26 to 28 to me on just hwy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I only have 1000 miles on my RL, but I get i've gotten as much as 26-27 with heavy highway driving keeping my rpm at or below 3k at all times. Sure no supercharger fun, but its definitely more efficient. Granted that isnt every tank, and my milage does vary from 20mpg up to 27 if i'm VERY careful about how a i drive and make a point to shift the car efficiently through the gears....and dont speed too much.

Little things like always putting the car in neutral when you're coasting/slowing down and at lights helps a bit too.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The EPA's method of calculating gas mileage is very outdated. It is not accurate in most cases. I drive almost purely in the city--stoplight to stoplight. I get usually around 18 or 19. That is with some fun. I don't know about the highway. If you read consumer reports, when they test cars they test gas mileage in the most accurate way possible. Usually cars rated around 20 get 14 or 15 in the city, but the highway estimates are accurate. So if we are getting 18-19 in the city that is probably about right.

Even hybrids rated at over 40 aren't getting close to that in tests. So the moral of the story is, don't pay attention to EPA estimates.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doh!

I was hoping I was the oddball but instead it turns out we're doing slightly better than some!

That's kind of scary to be that inaccurate though. Saturns, like I said, have been good to us in terms of actual gas mileage in comparo with EPA estimates. Sure they're usually a LITTLE lower but I guess given the history my fam has had with saturns I was expecting a little more of the same :(

I'll just bring it up at service and maybe they'll bust out some magic fuel map or something.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I average around 14 or 15 mpg in the city driving "normal," which I consider a combo of agressive and passive. However, I have gotten better milage as the car gets more miles on it. Maybe it has something to do with the break-in period?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I came from a 93 SC1 that averaged about 28MPG, so when I got my Redline in May I kept trying to get the best MPG possible. 23 was the best I could do and driving was completely dull.

I gave all that up.

Now I drive how I want. I have fun at least 2 times a day. I do only city driving with a short 2 minute freeway stint twice a day.

I have about 7500 miles on my car and I get 18 MPG. I've learned to live with it, accept it, and love it - because I drive how I want without worrying about MPG.

B

·
0 Posts
I figured out about anywhere form 20 to 23 on average for me after only 1500 miles on the car. I use 91 or 92 octane fuel.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm coming from a civic that got about 35 mpg and my RL is getting about 22 right now....it's taking some getting used to but the trade off is worth it for me now that I have a car which I really enjoy.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I bought the RL on Sept 30th and the air was already cold in Ohio by then. The best I could get was 24 mpg and that is about 85% highway driving. This week, on my Florida trip, I did get a pleasant surprise. Once out of the cold air and into 65+ temps, my fuel economy went up to 28.5 from Virginia to Columbia SC (I-77 and cruise control) and hit 30.3 mpg from Columbia SC to the FL state line. I've been doing city driving most of the miles inside FL and it looks like 24 - 25 mpg for this tank. So, for all the cold weather guys griping about that low 20s MPG, wait for summer, it will get better.

B

·
0 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
I bought the RL on Sept 30th and the air was already cold in Ohio by then. The best I could get was 24 mpg and that is about 85% highway driving. This week, on my Florida trip, I did get a pleasant surprise. Once out of the cold air and into 65+ temps, my fuel economy went up to 28.5 from Virginia to Columbia SC (I-77 and cruise control) and hit 30.3 mpg from Columbia SC to the FL state line. I've been doing city driving most of the miles inside FL and it looks like 24 - 25 mpg for this tank. So, for all the cold weather guys griping about that low 20s MPG, wait for summer, it will get better.
I noticed the change in warmer weather too. I went down to Tennessee for new years(live in Michigan). It was like 68 on Dec. 31 down there. I think I figured out about 26 or 27 miles to the gallon. It seems warmer weather does help. Plus I noticed it gets better after the motor breaks in too. I have almost 3100 miles on her now. We'll see in the spring and summer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I remember when my dealer lady told me about the great fuel economy this car had, she was like "you get the performance benefits of a supercharged vehicle along with great fuel economy." I kind of nodded my head thinking "yeah, maybe if I never engaged the supercharger but then it wouldn't really be a performance vehicle now would it."
I've gotten anywhere from 16-21 mpg (~19 mpg avg) over the course of my 2000 miles of driving and I probably do about 80% of that on the highway. I guess if I didn't launch myself onto the highway like a freaking missle and if I stopped dropping into down into 4th gear to roar past all those SLOW people DRIVING in the left lane, I'd probably see a little bit higher of an average.

But I just got my first oil-change today so I hope maybe my average goes up a little.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts