Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Doin my fuel filter SAT with the other guys the disconnect tabs were $10 for the kit and Autozone filter was $15.

·
Lurking Diplomat
397 Posts
Am I the only one who suddenly can't see the pictures in this post? I know they're there, I've looked at them before, but I'm planning on doing this to my RL next week and was hoping to have the how-to and pics on standby (I've never done the fuel filter before).

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
AdamJH225 said:
Am I the only one who suddenly can't see the pictures in this post? I know they're there, I've looked at them before, but I'm planning on doing this to my RL next week and was hoping to have the how-to and pics on standby (I've never done the fuel filter before).
I have them hosted thru CarDomain.com & sometimes they don't show up (don't know why)

But here's a direct link to my CarDomain page & the pics...they're towards the bottom:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2429078/8

your welcome ;)

·
Lurking Diplomat
397 Posts
Thanks Dan. I don't know why they're not showing up here, but I can see them on your other site. Thanks for the link, I'm sure it'll help.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
AdamJH225 said:
Thanks Dan. I don't know why they're not showing up here, but I can see them on your other site. Thanks for the link, I'm sure it'll help.
hey that's what I'm here for (to contribute--somewhat, lol)

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have the plastic disconnect tools and that blasted line still won't disconnect from the filter. It doesn't even really go in very far. It fits on the line well, and the new filter with one finger. Is there some trick to it or is that tool ghetto? Theres a metal one w/ a handle but it was $8 for all the sizes vs $15 for just 3/8. Do you need that handle to really get it in there and release the springs?

Oh I did depressurize the system, have a drip pan, eye protection, the right size tool, the other lines off. Its just that one stinkin metal line, it doesn't want to come off

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
AdamJH225 said:
For some odd reason all the pictures were Cardomain.net links, and they seemed to have changed hosts over to Cardomain.com. If Dan goes back and changes the links from .net to .com the pictures will come back.

This has happened recently in a LOT of threads. Anyone who has a how-to with pics hosted at Cardomain should check to make sure theirs didn't break.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
kombi731 said:
I have the plastic disconnect tools and that blasted line still won't disconnect from the filter. It doesn't even really go in very far. It fits on the line well, and the new filter with one finger. Is there some trick to it or is that tool ghetto? Theres a metal one w/ a handle but it was $8 for all the sizes vs $15 for just 3/8. Do you need that handle to really get it in there and release the springs?

Oh I did depressurize the system, have a drip pan, eye protection, the right size tool, the other lines off. Its just that one stinkin metal line, it doesn't want to come off
You just gotta really work it in there. Use some force.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
kombi731 said:

Yeah it was a pain in the butt.....I'll admit that & I was like "WTF?" too

I mean it sounds simple & it is....just slide the plastic tool in, but it took a lot of force to pull it out actually

·
Registered
51 Posts
snobrdrdan said:
Yeah it was a pain in the butt.....I'll admit that & I was like "WTF?" too

I mean it sounds simple & it is....just slide the plastic tool in, but it took a lot of force to pull it out actually
x2 you really need quite a bit of force to remove it from the fuel lines.

·
Registered
206 Posts
kombi731 said:

You probably already took care of this, but for future reference. I had this exact problem. Me/Dad/Friends all pulled on the one the line but it would not come off even with the 3/8 quick disconnect tool in the first post picture. So eventually I went out and got an OEM brand 3/8 transmission line disconnect tool. It was twice the price but well worth it, because using it popped the line off within 5 seconds of trying. It's aluminum w/ a spring loaded handle on it.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
931 Posts
Action Jack said:
You probably already took care of this, but for future reference. I had this exact problem. Me/Dad/Friends all pulled on the one the line but it would not come off even with the 3/8 quick disconnect tool in the first post picture. So eventually I went out and got an OEM brand 3/8 transmission line disconnect tool. It was twice the price but well worth it, because using it popped the line off within 5 seconds of trying. It's aluminum w/ a spring loaded handle on it.

Hope it helps
no I haven't even driven the RL since I tried the plastic tool
but I plan to get that tool
I just wanna change the filter cause of 5 auto X's in 7weeks coming up
I only have 26K but I already got the filter at cost so :shrug03:
thanks I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on this one:)

·
Registered
931 Posts
the plastic one never worked for me
the metal one went in to easily. I was trying to line it up and it just kinda popped the line off. Here is what I got for it

·
Registered
206 Posts
kombi731 said:
the plastic one never worked for me
the metal one went in to easily. I was trying to line it up and it just kinda popped the line off. Here is what I got for it

Yeah the one on the right is the one I got, but it was like 5 of them all different size fittings. Mine was 20.00 from autozone for the 5 pack I think the brand was called OEM.

Wasn't the gold one super easy for this like I said? When mine came off in like 5 seconds I was just in shock. Thinking about the hours I wasted trying with the other tool. :killtard:

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Action Jack said:
Thinking about the hours I wasted trying with the other tool. :killtard:
It was only like 5 minutes that it took me to pull the filter off with the plastic tool

Just took some extra "force"

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had some trouble pulling the line out too with just the quick disconnect tool. We put a couple of layers of duct tape on the connector and it helped pop the line out right away.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i don't think it is a real good idea to run your car until it dies. maybe turn it over real quick to de-pressurize but not till it dies. running a Fuel injected car out of fuel is not good for the pump nor the injectors your fuel system could and most likely will get air bound. This at least what i learned from working on Diesels and running my 93 s10 out of gas.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts