Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent article, when changing my 2003 ION filter, I found that the gas line tool was too narrow in diameter to spread the springs inside the gas filter.

After not being able to remove the line, I decided to wrap the outside of the tool with masking tape after it was placed on the gas line, before inserting it into the filter.

The masking tape added about an 1/8" extra diameter that spread the springs further and allowed the gas line removal. If too much tape is put on, the tool will not fit into the opening.

I believe this is a useful addition for any member who runs into trouble with the gas line removal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, that was so quick and easy!!!! $15 and 15 minutes (would have been quicker but I was being careful the first time).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Bump. No place to put quick disconnect tool..its just a metal hose and I've been pulling...no dice so far
What do you mean no place to put quick disconnect tool? I bought the brass one, it splits in half and you clamp it on. I saw other styles but didn't look long enough to figure them out. What type do you have? Send some kind of picture/link in a pm and i'll see if I can help.

Regardless of tool problems I pulled REALLY hard on it to get mine to release. At least 30+ pounds of force.

Without the tool you're probably going to have to break the clips off inside and i'm not sure thats the best solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

Thank you VERY much for your step by step (with pictures) instructions. This made it SO much easier to change my first ever fuel filter. I had looked at on of those Chilton like books and NO WHERE did it say that I would need a tool for the fuel line. I would have never known if it wasn't for you. My car runs even better now. My car has over 100K on it (I have only owned it for a year) and I pretty sure this was the original filter. The gas that came out of it was dirtier than your picture. Again... Thank you!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Did anyone else have problems getting the fuel line to come loose? The quick release tool was a epic fail so I just ripped it off hah.

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
There's two types of tools you can use to take off the line..one will work if the other doesn't. One is the plastic crappy clips that our op suggested or there's another that clamp onto the line slide under the connecting part of the line into the filter and with a nudge of effort, off come the line and a bunch of gas :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
There's two types of tools you can use to take off the line..one will work if the other doesn't. One is the plastic crappy clips that our op suggested or there's another that clamp onto the line slide under the connecting part of the line into the filter and with a nudge of effort, off come the line and a bunch of gas :D
Hah yeah I took a ethanol shower myself and it was near 90 degrees with high humidy..deff made the install worse than it really is. But yeah I have the plastic ones from harbor freight..time to clean the rust off and return that cheap china town garbage. :domotwak:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the write up...changed my filter last night, original had 103,000 miles on it. Fuel that came out of it was NASTY. I can already tell a huge difference in performance.

That plastic quick disconnect tool didn't work at all for me...had to go buy a metal one after an hour of messing with it, then popped off in one minute. Two of the prongs inside were bent and messed up, dunno if from the metal tool I got, or if it was just effed and that's why the plastic tool didn't work. Oh well, it's done now!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just did mine. Fuel was nasty coming out of it. I got soaked as well. Forgot to get the towel up in time. Also forgot to remove fuel cap so there was a lot of pressure in it. Changing this was so much easier than my coolant pump.

Thanks for the write up...changed my filter last night, original had 103,000 miles on it. Fuel that came out of it was NASTY. I can already tell a huge difference in performance.
Did your gas mileage go up any so far?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write-up with pictures. I just changed mine at 60K for the second time (first was at 30k). This was soooo much easier than changing the oil and I saved $35 labor by doing it myself!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am working on a 2007 Ion. It's the base model 4 door. The fuel filter is not where it shows in the pictures in this article. I've changed many a fuel filter. Some of the ask jeeves and that kinda thing say that on a 2007 the filter is attached to the pump inside the tank. I didn't want this to be the case but I traced the lines all the way up to under the hood and couldn't find the filter. Another thing I found peculiar is that you can't look up the filter and get it off the rack at the parts store, you have to go up to the counter. Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me?
Thanks in advance
Kevin

·
Registered
44 Posts
After reading this post, I surfed a lot to get information about the car fuel filters. I grabbed the information that fuel filters is an equipment that is used to remove dust and dirt from the fuel. The mechanism is same as that is used in cigarettes to expel unwanted and harmful smoke particles to get into the human body.
There is a fact about fuel filters that it need to be cleaned after regular interval of time as all the unwanted dust is collected in the filter...

·
Registered
813 Posts
The fuse you're after should be the square black with yellow stripe near the top left side of the fuse box (in the driver side footwell).

That's if memory serves me correctly. It should say on the diagram on the kick panel too?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The fuse you're after should be the square black with yellow stripe near the top left side of the fuse box (in the driver side footwell).

That's if memory serves me correctly. It should say on the diagram on the kick panel too?
+2. iirc that's the one you need to pull. well... you dont really "need" to pull it, it'll just save you from getting covered in fuel at 60#'s

61 - 80 of 94 Posts