Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last 2 weeks I've developed an awesome funky vibration/exhaust leak sound. Car is an 04 - stage II - only suspension mod is a progress rear sway bar - 80k miles...

The noise only appears on the interstate after a couple minutes of driving. It starts as almost a drone/hum/low vibration that seams to be coming from directly under the shifter about where the exhaust is. If I floor it at around 70 and run to 80 an almost raspy vibration appears and sounds like it is coming from the resonator area. The noise only appears under power and only on the interstate - once I get to lower speeds it goes away.

I climbed underneath and the only thing I could possibly see that was bad is the gasket in the flange after the resonator - I can sorta see it, but I pulled on it with all my weight and couldn't get a gap to show at all. (the bolts are rusted into an unreconisable mass of brown). I checked for a loose heat shielding and also checked my flex pipe pretty well. Nothing... I did get my cat replaced for free 10k ago because I shattered the inside of the old one with excessive wheel hop. Any ideas? I'm out of warranty so I don't even want to take it in unless I can get it fixed under the 8 year/80k deal... ....And..... go.....!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I had a vibration (rumble sound & feel) at ~45 mph. The car was also getting "noisy". Thought it might be an exhaust leak. Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing on passenger front wheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have this same problem. I just noticed also that my **** stage 1 rotated rear mount is rubbing a pair of lines that is going to the back. Im positive its fuel lines = if it rubs through gas on the header :(:flamed: :flame: :( :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

That is one vibration i feel, but the one you describe is exactly what I hear, it was like you posted for me.

Let me know please if you find the culprit.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flooring it in 5th... In 4th there is too much engine noise to pick out the lower drone/hum/vibration... I can however still hear the slightly higher pitched rattle that comes in to play about 80 in 4th - just not as well. I climbed under the car last night and pulled around on the exhaust and everything else. I need to fix my waterfall from the glove box problem tonight before I really work on finding the culprit for the vibration noise. I can't find anything visually or by pulling on stuff, so I'm starting to think it might be the cat again after only 10k... I asked to be tuned slightly more to the rich side so it could be...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts