Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles do you guys get per tank?? The first tank I drove really hard and only got 200 miles. Now on my 2nd tank i drove it easy and got close to 300...shouldnt it be more???

·
Registered
710 Posts
300 is a lot

300 miles on a tank is pretty good, it only costs for me here about 20 bucks for a full tank. So 300 is damn good, i only get 220-240 with my driving.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
250 every tank regardless on how I drive it. I have yet to see the low fuel light thought. Im sure if I drag it out it would be close.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have never gotten over 220 on a tank. I even did 140 on the highway in one trip and still only got about 20 mpg. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong. It doesnt seem right that i still only got 20 mpg with a majority of the miles being on the highway. If it doesnt get any better, do you guys think that I should have the dealer check it out? Like everyone has said before, gas mileage isnt why i bought the car but it would be nice to see a little better mileage on the highway.

Also, my RL only has 3500 miles on it. Do you guys think that it's still being broken in and affecting my mileage?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been getting right around 200 miles on a tank, but I don't drive it 'til it's sucking air, either. Pretty much all of my driving is city. The one time I did some highway driving, I was obviously doing better on mileage, but I filled it at a quarter tank so I don't know how much better.

f.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I get about 20 mpg or 200 miles to tank - you have to understand - at what point you fill up...

I typically fill up, and can put in 9 gals - 10 occasionally

if you run the car almost totally empty you can go further on the tank.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yo have to remember we are not gonna get the best gas milage on the highway because next time u are going 80 look at your tach its in the 3k range, that is high for 80mph. My stepdads firebird gets better highway gas milage than my RL and only because its the 6 speed and at 80mph in 6th gear he is at like 1-2k range. i would say about 250-300 a tank is my avg depepding how i drive and i ususally push it untill the light comes on

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I always got 250/tank, which is about 23 mpg with a majority city driving.
Now with my K&N intake I get about 290/tank when I do at least 1/2 highway which totals about 25 mpg. Even with only 23 though I was pleased. I tend to open it up a lot and I drive the car the way it was meant to be. If you bring it to the dealer, make sure you have a chart of how many gallons you added and how many miles you drove.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i lose

No matter really how I drive, I am lucky to get over 220. When I first got the car, I was around 230, lastest for a month or two then stopped. I was getting real poor mileage through the winter, 200 if I was lucky. Then after the recal work it jumped up to about 240. Now it is back down to 200-210. Mind you I run this right down to the warning light every time. Every tank that I put in is right at 11.5 gallons to 11.7. Don't do much highway driving and when I have its not a full tank so I get back off on the city streets and the gas just drops out of the tank. I have to take it in and I am going to mention, I have tried 87, 89 and 93 octane, no difference between any and I always drive the same. Oh well, such is life and you also have to think it is not one of the regular weak saturns that get like 330 on a tank, we are beefed up!!!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i used to average 220-230 consistantly, and i don't watch how i drive, the past few tanks have gone up to 240+ without the light going on, fillup is 10.5-11.2 gallons every time. once i got 280 on a road trip with a good chunk of stop and go. i'd say we get great gas mileage for what we've got, especially 20+ city mileage

·
Registered
683 Posts
I get at least 300 to a tank, I have seen 340 and put in 11.6 gals (29mpg). Almost all highway right at 80 or so, even with 30 mins in traffic a day. I use 91, all the time (the highest we get around here). Maybe temp has somthing to do with it, It is around 70 in the afternoon and 50 in the morning when I leave . . . Shit the lowest I have ever seen is 240 and I was on it all the time. Nothing done to my car baut the recall and updates. Weird no one else is getting mileage like this??

·
Registered
296 Posts
City driving (and I tend to go WOT a lot) I get about 200+/tank. On interstate driving I get 25.5 to 26.0 mpg (driving at 80+ mph), and have taken the tank to about 285 miles before refilling.... I really don't like to run the tank too low... I've been told the fuel pump depends on fuel in the tank to help keep it cool.

At 25.5-26 mpg, I could easily get over 300 miles per tank highway driving.

FWIW, I see a noticable difference in mileage between all gasoline and the gasoline/ethanol blends (all gasoline is better). I run 93 octane all the time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
23 to 25 a gallon. Mostly highway, and WOT all the time. I fill up with 93 and about 11.5 gallons a shot. Warning light comes on around 260mi. I don't understand why there are so many people only getting around 200mi. I even live at 6500 feet!!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I usually get around 330KM (roughly 200 miles) with my normal "spirited" driving every now and then...though for 1 tank I deceided how far I could stretch it and I got 475KM (almost 300 miles)...not one of these was at the warning light, but roughly 6.5 gallons left and I have yet to take this car on the highway...all city driving.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i used to get 170 to the tank before it was truly broken in...now i get about 200 gunning it all the time..ive tried to shift under 3 for an entire tank...never seems to work out..i mean i have a supercahrger and an open lane...its just toooo tempting :D . Ive gotten 300 before mostly highway and about 15 miles stop and go, curvy, wet roads...i was getting 240 miles before the light came on without gunning it...on average i get around 210-220.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
I get at least 300 to a tank, I have seen 340 and put in 11.6 gals (29mpg). Almost all highway right at 80 or so, even with 30 mins in traffic a day. I use 91, all the time (the highest we get around here). Maybe temp has somthing to do with it, It is around 70 in the afternoon and 50 in the morning when I leave . . . Shit the lowest I have ever seen is 240 and I was on it all the time. Nothing done to my car baut the recall and updates. Weird no one else is getting mileage like this??
i think temp does have an effect, as it's been getting warmer, i've been getting better gas mileage

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow... Unknown is really lucky. I'm in Florida and I was getting an average of 250 miles per tank. Before that i was getting 200-210 miles per tank. There is something everyone with an 04 might want to check. There is a hose that comes from the SC that dissappears below the break fluid reservoir that was crimpped. My engine light only came on after a 150 mile trip. After they fixed that I was getting the 250. But of course saturn had to spoil that after the ECU update. Now I get only about 220-225. I recently have fixed the intercooler wire mixup i'm trying to see how much milage I will be getting. As you can see I've been through a lot with my RL but I still love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
jmichna said:
...FWIW, I see a noticable difference in mileage between all gasoline and the gasoline/ethanol blends (all gasoline is better). I run 93 octane all the time.
Ethanol has less fuel value (BTU/gallon). Ethanol blend should be priced a couple cents lower to compensate for getting less fuel per gallon.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
my mileage sucks, and the 91 hurts, but shit i love driving my car and its fun as hell, its a small price to pay for the drive.

keith-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts