Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm being serious in my question. I'd rather find out a little backround info on your cars so I can be better educated about them when discussing them. I still stand behind my comments in the Kills section about Z28's and Mach1's, but I really would like some answers to these :
What are you typically getting for gas mileage-city/highway?
What kind of range are you getting per tank?
What size tanks do you have?
How much does it cost to fill up?

Thanks for the input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
i average 20-23 mpg overall, city and highway

i get from 230 to 250 per tank, 280+ if all highway, i'm thinking higher since i've got the K&N now

i believe it's a 12 gallon tank, maybe 12.5

at fillup, i put in between 10.5-11.5 depending on how close i am to the light going off, and at 2.45 or so last night i paid 27 dollars to fill up

edit: and i can take an LT1 firebird, '94, from a dig all through 3rd gear, then he hits 3rd or 4th gear and is off (auto). best friends car so we've done it plenty...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm....Thats pretty good. Do you do much highway driving? I'm trying to figure out how this car is on the highway, cruising at about 70-75mph for about 2 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
doing those speeds for that long will get that 280+ i'm willing to bet, i usually cruise 80+ on the freeway and pulled that much on one trip, with some 3rd gear passing in there

i do mostly city and rushhour driving, with about 1/4-1/3 highway on average
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
I get about 23.5 to 24.5 mpg with a mix of city and freeway driving. I've have 13k+ miles plus on it, so it is very consistent. I've taken a few road trips, a couple that were 10+ hours. When I was cruising at 95 mph for long periods of time I averaged 28 to 29 mpg. Not too shabby...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha. I gotta find a good commuter car, thats still fun to drive on a daily basis. In my new job I have to drive a lot and am considering a Redline, CobaltSS, and SRT4. The SRT4 seems to have a really small tank with no range, so I'm trying to figure out how the Redline and Cobalt stack up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom01SC2 said:
I get about 23.5 to 24.5 mpg with a mix of city and freeway driving. I've have 13k+ miles plus on it, so it is very consistent. I've taken a few road trips, a couple that were 10+ hours. When I was cruising at 95 mph for long periods of time I averaged 28 to 29 mpg. Not too shabby...

Tom
If you can answer this than I'd appreciate it, but its a weird question- If you took a road trip that was 2 hours long, on a full tank, cruising 75-80mph, how much gas would you use? I mean, would you have a half tank left over, 1/4 tank left over, 3/4's, etc. I don't know why, but I use this as a way to judge fuel efficiency in my cars, and for some reason I never pay attention to the miles I put on when driving home 2 hours from school.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
bikeluver43 said:
If you can answer this than I'd appreciate it, but its a weird question- If you took a road trip that was 2 hours long, on a full tank, cruising 75-80mph, how much gas would you use? I mean, would you have a half tank left over, 1/4 tank left over, 3/4's, etc. I don't know why, but I use this as a way to judge fuel efficiency in my cars, and for some reason I never pay attention to the miles I put on when driving home 2 hours from school.
going that speed, you're going to be approaching a half tank if it's smooth sailing at those speeds consistantly, maybe just passing the halfway mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, that really helps out. I'll have to take one of these things for a test drive. My local dealership is literally giving them away-$15-16k. Plus I've got some GM bonus cash on my credit card of $1000 to go towards it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
well worth it, it's my daily driver, yet is great fun to drive when you feel like getting on it. and for what it can do, it gets amazing gas mileage, especially on trips when the blower is in vacuum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
bikeluver43 said:
Thanks, that really helps out. I'll have to take one of these things for a test drive. My local dealership is literally giving them away-$15-16k. Plus I've got some GM bonus cash on my credit card of $1000 to go towards it.
I really enjoy driving mine, it is a well put together car. Shifts smooth and has a nice short throw stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whats the stock supercharger that it comes with? I wonder if you could throw the M112 from a Cobra on it? Or even one from a GTP, I would think they would help with the power!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Vita said:
i average 20-23 mpg overall, city and highway

i get from 230 to 250 per tank, 280+ if all highway, i'm thinking higher since i've got the K&N now

i believe it's a 12 gallon tank, maybe 12.5
I am pretty much the exact same, I just paid 2.20 Sunday night for premium here in MD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
I average about 20 mpg - and i typically fill up at 10 gals.. (1/4) tank

and i drive almost all city, very rare for me to be anything other than stop and go....

Xau
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
i should also mention that when not cruising on the freeway, i'm usually beating the hell out of it, which doesn't seem to affect gas mileage much at all. i've tried to baby it to see what i'd get to a tank, but lord help me i cannot do such things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty interesting. I'm assuming the intake and exhaust is fairly restrictive, so I would imagine with mods it would also increase mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
I get 25-26 mpg cruising at 80+/-5 mph, and 23.5-24.5 mpg cruising at 90+/-5 mph. The tank capacity is 13 gallons, the "low fuel" warning comes on when you are down to 1.5 gallons. I really don't track city driving... I get on it too much to even worry about city mileage.

At 80 mph, I can easily get 285-295 miles/tank; at 90 mph I get at least 265-270 miles. I do not like to run the tank too low, as the fuel in the tank helps cool the gas tank's fuel pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
I thought our gas tanks were 13.5 gallons? Also I've gone 300+ miles numerous times on a tank. My one tank crusing 95 mph+ I had 340+ miles on it. That is with some spirited driving in between, like sprints up to 100 mph and a sprint to 135 mph across the Navajo reservation, lol...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
bikeluver43 said:
Whats the stock supercharger that it comes with? I wonder if you could throw the M112 from a Cobra on it? Or even one from a GTP, I would think they would help with the power!
come with the M62
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
I thought our gas tanks were 13.5 gallons? Also I've gone 300+ miles numerous times on a tank. My one tank crusing 95 mph+ I had 340+ miles on it. That is with some spirited driving in between, like sprints up to 100 mph and a sprint to 135 mph across the Navajo reservation, lol...

Tom
Tom,
I'm pretty sure it's 13.0 gallons... that's what I recall from reading the owner's manual, and that's what the Saturn.com site claims for the Redline's fuel capacity.

When you went that 340 miles on one tank, did your 'low fuel' warning come on? On those 300+ mile stretches, how much fuel did it take to refill? You may be getting significantly better mileage than most of us. At 25 mpg, 300 miles would take 12 gallons, leaving you with 1 gallon in the tank. If you used 12 gallons to go 340 miles, then you got 28.34 mpg!
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top