Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be possible to use one of the wires coming off the dimmer switch under that tray thingy??

i really dont want my gauge lights to be 100% bright all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
yes you can. which wire Im not 100% sure but yes it can be done.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I was thinking that when I wire a boost guage up I am going to try to use the dimmer wire for the radio. I am pretty sure that there is a orange with white striped wire back there that works the radio dimmer. And since I have an aftermarket head unit installed I won't have to tap into any wires I can just use the one comming off of the wiring harness used to hook up my radio.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
BlackLine said:
would it be possible to use one of the wires coming off the dimmer switch under that tray thingy??i really dont want my gauge lights to be 100% bright all the time.
Unfortunately you cannot use any circuit located on the dimmer switch itself as it's just an input to the Body Control Module (BCM), whuch in turn generates a pulse width modulated signal to dim all of the various IP lamps. From factory the RPO- UXE gauges use a pair of terminals right on the BCM (C4 terminals 29/30)- but that's a little too difficult to access.

Actually Maxboost is ALMOST on the right track, but it's a GREY wire on terminal B7 of the main radio connector you would need to tap into.
Other possibly "easier" or cleaner options include (and ALL of them GREY wires):
-Terminal B of the HAZARD WARNING SWITCH (this just may be the easiest to access and splice into)
-Terminal 20 of the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
-Terminal L of the HVAC control head
HTH
WopOnTour
* I have edit my instructions/schematics in the other perf pack boost gage thread to reflect this change http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44347#post44347
**If anyone wnats to wire it "factory" and needs a diagram of the BCM connector plz PM me

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Just call his name, and he will come....

WopOnTour said:
Unfortunately you cannot use any circuit located on the dimmer switch itself as it's just an input to the Body Control Module (BCM), whuch in turn generates a pulse width modulated signal to dim all of the various IP lamps. From factory the RPO- UXE gauges use a pair of terminals right on the BCM (C4 terminals 29/30)- but that's a little too difficult to access.

Actually Maxboost is ALMOST on the right track, but it's a GREY wire on terminal B7 of the main radio connector you would need to tap into.
Other possibly "easier" or cleaner options include (and ALL of them GREY wires):
-Terminal B of the HAZARD WARNING SWITCH (this just may be the easiest to access and splice into)
-Terminal 20 of the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
-Terminal L of the HVAC control head
HTH
WopOnTour
* I have edit my instructions/schematics in the other perf pack boost gage thread to reflect this change http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44347#post44347
**If anyone wnats to wire it "factory" and needs a diagram of the BCM connector plz PM me
Ask and you shall recieve huh Blackline?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOT, reading your diagrams it says the ign power can be ran off the c2 connector on the pcm right?? im doing this for my shift light.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
BlackLine said:
WOT, reading your diagrams it says the ign power can be ran off the c2 connector on the pcm right?? im doing this for my shift light.
No the connections at the ECM are just the output signals to the gauge.
You will have to locate a source for battery power (+) on a circuit that gets HOT when the IGN is turned ON (usually a yellow wire) I would suggest the yellow wire going up the column to Termonal D of the Wiper/Washer switch or the aux 12V plug connector
HTH
WOT

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i just used the ign fuse in the underhood fuse box.

as for the tach signal, i used the white wire in the c1 connector of the pcm. this did not work i tested it at 1300 rpms in 2 cylinder mode and no shift light the tach test works so its getting power just no signal.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
BlackLine said:
ok i just used the ign fuse in the underhood fuse box.

as for the tach signal, i used the white wire in the c1 connector of the pcm. this did not work i tested it at 1300 rpms in 2 cylinder mode and no shift light the tach test works so its getting power just no signal.
Here is a write-up on a shift light install. He got his signal from a green wire with white stripe
http://saturnspeed.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=21343

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
max_boost said:
Here is a write-up on a shift light install. He got his signal from a green wire with white stripe
http://saturnspeed.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=21343
That's for a regular shift-light tach connection
AFAIK will not work for the Comp Pack gauge set
It's gets a conditioned signal directly from the ECM
WOT

BLACKLINE: There's more than 1 white wire going to the C1 connector
it HAS to be the one going to terminal 31 (Assuming you are hooking up the Comp Pack gauge pod)
Other's have hooked it here and it works
WOT

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Raven said:
so if i hook my positive from the boost gauge to the hazard switch (grey wire), when i turn my lights on my gauge will light up too?
Asuming the "positive" you are referring to is for the gage's backlighting Yes! And you will be able to control it's intensity with the dial too. WOT

·
Registered
366 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Asuming the "positive" you are referring to is for the gage's backlighting Yes! And you will be able to control it's intensity with the dial too. WOT
i now have NO more questions. thanks WOT!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts