Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well let the cat out of the bag...

Here is our 2005-ish Saturn Ion Red Line. We're racing in DS and SS (for fun, in SS, obviously). So far we've won the past two weekends against Type R's, 330i's, and a Crossfire. All are National guys, so we're pretty happy. No one can figure out why our Saturn is so fast. I love it. Oh well, here are the pics:

And now, some under-inflated Hoosiers will do this:

And yes, those are Fikse's. :D We had them made for the car last year and they weigh about 12 lbs in 17". Not too bad.

I know you guys are wondering, so the answer is that the car is nearly all stock. The suspension is bone stock RL, and besides that we just have a larger exhaust, and of course, the LSD. The car is a ball to drive, and don't let the magazines tell you that it understeers badly with lots of bodyroll. I beat up on the Mini Cooper S racers, so I don't want to hear it. This car is a serious performance car and we're all very happy with the dynamics.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
GOOD F*CKIN JOB GUYS! That's what we like to see! Now if more of us could get out there, man... mad props yall!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I got my ass reamed auto xing my RL. I am just not to good at it honestly. I am thinking of trying and taking a racing class.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words. We're a bunch of younger GM engineers that get together after work two or three days a week to work on the Saturn and our S10. The Saturn has been in service since last season, but the truck is getting up there in years.

The RL started as an early mule development car and we've converted everything we can find to the latest parts. In fact, the car was only a few hours from turning into a small plastic cube when we saved it. The handling is incredible and you guys should really go and find out what the car can do. There really aren't any glaring problems with it and it's a blast to drive. We were considering building a monster and racing in a weird mod class, but D Stock is just so much more competitive. Plus, we can still drive the car to and from events.

Our next event is in Oscoda, MI which is the next race in the CENDIV series. I drove the Ion for the last two events but I'll be hopping in our 400hp S10 for the next one. This should be fun.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
GM ENGINEERS holy crap guys help us out with some performance power. If there is anyone that could give us some insight on the gm perf parts that will be available you should be able to help right?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
By the way thats AWSOME that you guy's are out there showing that this aint your moms saturn.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What size exhuast are you running? Any power numbers you can give us?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our exhaust is probably a little big for the application, but it's a 3.5" diameter unit with a Borla resonator and Hooker muffler. It would likely work better with headers and a larger downpipe/high flow cat, but that's not legal for our race class. The car still has a lot of low end torque and boy oh boy does it pull hard. We think that it has about 230hp because it is so stock. As if you guys didn't already know, the 205hp figure is a little on the low side.

Now, as for performance parts, none of us work on that side of the business. I'm a quality engineer for the LC3 (Supercharged Northstar) and we mostly have a bunch of brake group guys on the team. We've heard the same rumors you have regarding the staged kits but I have no idea when or if they are still going to be released. I'm sure that there will be more than enough aftermarket support for the LSJ in the near future. Since I'm buying a Cobalt SS in the near future then I will be looking parts too. For our type of racing, the biggest trick is keeping the power down. The LSD eliminates wheel hop on street tires, but not on the stick race tires. You just need to be careful launching this car as it is really pretty powerful.

Now, just to torque you guys up a bit, I've heard that some of the development engineers on these cars were able to click off a high 13 second quarter mile in stock form. It's possible but it requires an awesome launch.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The torque brace we have does a pretty good job of killing hop on street tires. That wheel ripping loose on the corner is still a problem though, need a LSD to help that out a bit.

Are you guys running stock brakes? Any brake tips you can hand out? I know they're pretty good out of the box, but anything out there to beef 'em up a bit?

I've never understood the bodyroll and understeer comments from the mags. There's a little S-curve on an industrial street that goes downhill a bit, and I can SCREAM through that. On holidays it's deserted and I'll hit it up a bit faster than I should, and it just hangs. I don't get crazy or anything, it's a small, sharp turn, so I'm doing MAYBE 35 throught it, and on the brakes. I don't feel any roll, and even on the brakes, downhill, turning, the nose just pushes a little. If I was on a race track, I'm sure I could do the same turn much faster, but I don't want to risk killing someone or myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have a link to a picture of the torque brace? That's not something I've seen. If it's what I'm thinking it is, it won't be legal for our racing, but that sounds good for the street.

The brakes use stock rotors on our car, but the pads are a special blend taken from our SCCA T2 race car. Pad choice is open for D Stock, so that's what we did. They do not fade at all, even after driving on them very very hard, but they do take a bit to warm up. That's the only downside to them.

As for racing, go find a local autocross and try it out. There is certainly body roll, but very little understeer. In fact, this car will actually outhandle a Mini Cooper or any of those other small cars. Heck, we beat a very well driven Integra Type R. We're trying to spread the word about the Red Line and show how good this car really is. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see you guys out at the track some day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
thats cool as hell if you eva come to florida let us know will go to the track , just
installed the tourque brace friday and this thing work s if you havent seen it just look
for goofy guy on buy and sell items. i dont think it would be illegal in the d class?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd have to second the very little to no understeer IF I was ever to partake in such an event. My experience is a gently riding of the brake (left footed) through the sweepers and a heavy gas foot makees for a good time. :D Most of the FWD cars will push out to the cones, but the Red Line will just squak the tires and keep on turning.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Yeah Im responsible for the Brace craze. Its a simple bolt on. I dont know why it wouldnt be allowed. Anyways heres a link

http://yrethguad.tripod.com/main.html

They are pretty fun to make and work way better then I expected. you guys may wanna give it a shot. PM me for some info. Im sure you can make it yourselves but what fun would that be.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Great news. good to see that there is some level of Corp play with this car. Yeah, it's not the top level, but we thank you for anything you guys can do to help the performance of these cars

Now make me a set of wheels!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kirtsky said:
Also, what are the wheels on the Road shots, the five spokes, they look good.
The road wheels are forged Centerlines. They are very light, but the race wheels are even lighter. All of our wheels were custom made for us, but you could try to contact Centerline and see if they would make any more. I have a crazy feeling that they may be a few dollars. I know the Fikse wheels are. The Centerlines are hand-me-downs. Our budget is minimal at best, but we do have great support from the appropriate groups within the company.

We aren't the only guys racing one of these. There is a company-backed SCCA T2 car also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
goofyguy said:
Yeah Im responsible for the Brace craze. Its a simple bolt on. I dont know why it wouldnt be allowed. Anyways heres a link

http://yrethguad.tripod.com/main.html

They are pretty fun to make and work way better then I expected. you guys may wanna give it a shot. PM me for some info. Im sure you can make it yourselves but what fun would that be.

Goofy--

The brace is cool, but not legal in his class.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
CSCC 148 said:
Goofy--

The brace is cool, but not legal in his class.

I'm completely ignorant to governing aspects of races and this is out of sheer curiosity. How could they tell? It looks like a stock componant. Do they have pics of what the engine bay should look like to compare or would it just be like cheating? Again, I'm just curious.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts