Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to start autocrossing my car, but im unsure what class I should be in. My car is completely stock except for GM S1 from a previous owner. I have searched and read the book but nothing I can find is current, and the book is confusing lol.
SCCA classing
Thanks, Matt.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
He is asking about class in autocross, not what mods he should do...sheesh.

Anything that effects boost automatically puts the car in SM (Street Modified)or SMF (Street Modified Front-wheel drive). Since the GM Stage 1 doesn't involve a smaller pulley, you might be able to get away with DSP (D-stock Street Prepared) or STX, STX being a street-tire only class.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My local autocross forum was also thinking DSP, and although no pulley changes are allowed it says
"Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and
electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered
or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes
resulting from authorized changes are permitted"

So unless I want to go back to stock, looks like I may be buying some rotated mounts and a rear sway bar lol

And would you recommend 0ttp or ZZP for rotated mounts?

Thanks for the help :)

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
He is asking about class in autocross, not what mods he should do...sheesh.
hahaha I totally misread it and added it to the "Hi I am new and would like advice for autocrossing." :flamed:

M
So unless I want to go back to stock, looks like I may be buying some rotated mounts and a rear sway bar lol

0ttp ones :roller:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My local autocross forum was also thinking DSP, and although no pulley changes are allowed it says
"Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and
electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered
or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes
resulting from authorized changes are permitted"

Thanks for the help :)
I would recommend PowellRaceShop rotated mounts and rear sway bar....no website at this time but you can email to order.

gloria-PowellRaceShop <[email protected]>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I just registered for a driving school next saturday and an event next Sunday. Should be awesome lol.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Thanks everyone, I just registered for a driving school next saturday and an event next Sunday. Should be awesome lol.
It's a blast for sure and relatively cheap as far as the world of motorsports goes...until you start modding that is:)

Tires and seat time will make the biggest difference in how fast you go around.

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
to check for classing make sure they allow the injector change...I know it wont be noticed by the techs that day but if your competitive enough someone will cry about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just ran my first AutoX on Sunday.

You will be DSP. I ran in Front street tire class.

Base car Classing/Modifed class Eligibility
This link is old, but I beleive it it still current... Built by my Local SCCA

I also had the Stg1 installed by the PO, and an injector swap moves you immediately to SP, so I went ahead and put the smaller GM s2 pulley on since it did not change my class.

Anyone find it interesting that the Cobalt SS in street prepared class is a CSP class while the Ion Redline stays DSP?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Regionally or Nationally, the smaller SC pulley will put you in SM or SMF as it's only function is to increase boost/HP.

How was it? Any pics or vids?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
S1 should be fine.

It raises the rev limiter 500 RPM.

It was a more stable tune the some of the non staged ions. I would keep it HUSH HUSH.

:)

Car should have came that way from the factory.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
POWELL HARDCORE BAR FTW!!!!

I literally dropped 3.5 sec off my laps when i put in on during lunch at ced. most other drivers gained about a second between sessions so the bar alone dropped me roughly 2.5 sec on a course that most cars were averaging around a minute.

a year ago i would have said 0ttp mounts; go with powell. for all suspension mods lol

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Mods in order of cost effectiveness for autocross IMHO...(most cost-effective appearing 1st)

Seat time
Tires
Rear bar (Powell only)
Good set of brake pads
LSD transmission
Spring/strut upgrade (anything other than FE5, Pedders, Konis or YYZ does not count as an upgrade)
FE5 arms with Powell CABS
Rotated mounts (NOT poly or solid)
All other modifications including tune, pulley, exhaust, porting, cams, etc.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I have B woody SMMs. Not so good anymore? They havent done me wrong.

Fill me in please. I was MIA when the news mounts came on the boards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts