Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you go to www.gmgoodwrench.com and hunt around, you can order yourself the manual they used to develop that ECOTEC 1000hp motor. Although I haven't received the manual yet, I have read every part in the motor has a bonafide GM part number for all you serious tuners. I'm just looking for some bolt-on mods myself, exhaust headers, airbox, and pulley/ECU upgrade that will hopefully follow after the Cobalt gets launched.

·
Banned
177 Posts
That book relates to the L61 motor not the LSJ.
I know, they are basically the same, but many of the stock L61 parts are not in the LSJ and the limits are much higher in the LSJ than the L61.

The head, rods, valves, crank, PCM, etc are all better that what came in the L61 and in some cases better than what GM offers as upgraded parts. The head for example is an older version that GM offers for the performance head, along with those from Patriot Performance, but the stock LSJ head is the latest version of the sand cast head with additional web support and more stout hardware.
If GM started with the LSJ head then that would be awesome, but last time I asked (about a month ago during SEMA) GM was using a lost foam version still.

Also the cams, and performance of that motor are all geared toward Turbo boost and not positive displacement supercharger boost. Big exhaust cams spool up a turbo, but just tend to let out the charge on a supercharger motor.
Long primary exhaust headers restrict the exhaust path with a S/C and are not even an option with a Turbo in most applications.

RedLine headers are out there already you just have to look for them.
Cams are in the test phase, but I doubt any performance benifits will justify the price unless someone is looking for minimal HP gains, but 10% increase in MPG ratings.
Story on the street is that multiple companies will have PCM mods available soon, don't look for a chip because Saturn has never used a CAL/MEM chip based PCM EVER and the PCM is complex enough to be reprogramed through the ALDL port.
A Pulley may show up soon too, but expect a "re-flash" along with it or it could mean trouble for the engine down the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just received the CD version of the manual. It has a PDF of the manual, and then a bunch of pic's of the GM test cars, and "performance" parts. I was hoping for specifics on our engine, even some engineering drawings to model from, but that was not to be. Basically it goes through all the engine components and states how they modified the "stock" components for their 1000 hp version. As SCDyne said, they don't even mention a Supercharger. The only specifics given are on the bore and stroke, flow rates and coefficients of the intake and exhaust (for their turbo-charged version).

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scdyne for such and informative reply. It's sure great to have you on this board.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Yea you have to be a member of SEMA and GM Tech Connect to get engineering drawings and what not from the motors and all it has is just L61 stuff, still.
I'm waiting for updates with details on the S/C and VVT model of the engine.

Bottom line is that if you want to know something new then you'll need to figure it out on your own.
OR just ask anyone of the GM Race Program members at an event. Saturday's are the best time to get details on specifics like bearing space for street vs drag only motors and that it's always a good idea to line bore than blocks if you expect it to last any measurable time with big power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts