Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've beat him once before even though I hit the rev lim in first and second. He says he wants to tune up his car a bit (new plugs, wires, air cleaner and set it back to run 93 oct) and race me again.

Now, I know how to drive my car. Our first race was the very same day I bought it. Only problem is my launch. What is the best way to hook up? I've been practicing a little and notice if I'm not careful, I spin too long and sometimes the front end will bounce. Is it best to just take off with not screech at all? Just take off easy and then gun it or gun it and feather the gas pedal to get it to hook up?

It's gonna be a good race because the cars are pretty evenly matched as far as HP and torque.

It's an N/A not a T by the way.

He's already started the shit talking so I wanna beat him. We are racing a quarter mile so if he gets a good jump off the line, I'll be playing catch up. His car hooks up pretty easily even if he guns it in first.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm assuming you have never raced at the drag strip before? Try not to rev the car too much and feather the clutch for a smoother launch with minimal wheel spin. Launching really depends on a lot of factors, like weather, road conditions, etc...

Tom

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I've never really raced a whole lot before. So I should feather the clutch? Won't this burn out your clutch if you do it too much?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, he's talking a whole lot of shit.

Last night he was telling me that it's gonna be sad when my brand new car is looking at his '87 Supra tail lights the whole quarter mile. :rolleyes:

I just told him he'd better do more than change the plugs and air filter if he wants that to happen. :p

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy has been gone from work the past two days.

Maybe he's trying to install a Sneeky Pete on me. :p

I'm thinking that he'll get the jump on me off the line and I may trail by about half a car through the first two gears. I predict that once I hit third I'll easily pull ahead.

·
Registered
524 Posts
JPK said:
Maybe he's trying to install a Sneeky Pete on me. :p
I wouldn't be surprised if you came back on the boards and told us that. I've setup a couple of guys before and then blasted them with the nitrous, lol...

Tom

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom01SC2 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if you came back on the boards and told us that. I've setup a couple of guys before and then blasted them with the nitrous, lol...

Tom

I seriously doubt he is really doing that though. This car is his daily driver and he's too much a cheap ass to spend money on anything aftermarket for his car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
dude.
87 supra N/A = teh slow.
My brother in law has one.

11.7 on the 1/8th mile to my spec v's 10.7 (with me letting off at the end of the mile and getting a 2.5 sec 60ft on an oily track) .. so seriously...

You will destroy him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts