Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a choice of a new 2004 ion redline with 25kms on it for 23k cdn,
or,
a 'returned' unregistered 2004 with 1400kms on it, full warranty, plus a bonus 4th year extension, for 22.5k cdn.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
415 Posts
atwilson said:
or,
a 'returned' unregistered 2004 with 1400kms on it, full warranty, plus a bonus 4th year extension, for 22.5k cdn.

any thoughts?
Where are you located? I'm in Markham Ontario.
what options are in it? I got my 04 dealer demo with 13,000klms, 6 disk in-dash CD/MP3 and sunroof for $23K. List price was $29K.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I say go for the newer one, you never know how the previous owner drove the other one. I had a hard time not opening it up every chance I had, when I first got it.

I got mine for $28.5K CDN after everything with a sunroof. Sticker price was $29K before tax.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So, yo have to ask yourself- "Why was it returned?" No matter what the dealer says, I wouldn't take the chance for such a small difference in overall cost. Go for the 2005.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hmmmm, yeah, these are very enticing offers,
both are fully loaded 2004's, the dealer is clearing out the last of the 2004 stock.

i have similar reservations and concerns about the one with the 1400kms on it, but they sweetened that deal by boosting the warranty out another year, which apparently would cost another 800 to 1000,

they also tried to reassure me that these new cars cannot be 'bagged' out like cars in the past, due to the computers that the cars come with, which are programmed to restrict the initial performance automatically for a period of time, a built-in computerized break-in period is enforced, and the computer gradullay opens things up over a period of time, and that is apparently why owners seem to notice that these cars performance seems to improve magically after they have had it for a while....

ever hear of that?

(the only reason i am considering the one with 1400kms is because i wanted blue. Otherwise I have to choose black or silver.)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
atwilson said:
hmmmm, yeah, these are very enticing offers,
both are fully loaded 2004's, the dealer is clearing out the last of the 2004 stock.

i have similar reservations and concerns about the one with the 1400kms on it, but they sweetened that deal by boosting the warranty out another year, which apparently would cost another 800 to 1000,

they also tried to reassure me that these new cars cannot be 'bagged' out like cars in the past, due to the computers that the cars come with, which are programmed to restrict the initial performance automatically for a period of time, a built-in computerized break-in period is enforced, and the computer gradullay opens things up over a period of time, and that is apparently why owners seem to notice that these cars performance seems to improve magically after they have had it for a while....

ever hear of that?

(the only reason i am considering the one with 1400kms is because i wanted blue. Otherwise I have to choose black or silver.)
I was in a similar boat as you, I bought one with 1300 miles on it because I wanted the blue one. I didn't get the extention of my warranty though.

My car does feel like it performs better now that I have more miles on it, but that could also come from me knowing how to drive it better.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The one thing you also have to consider is everytime you feel something may be wrong w/the Red-Line you'll wonder if it was because of the previous owner. You'll start to think, "Maybe I should've taken the new one" and you'll keep wondering that everytime something goes wrong. Have you test driven an 05? Go and test drive an 05 (yes I know the two you are considering are 04s) and see if you notice a difference. Sometimes just having the reassurance that no one else has really owned the car before you is worth a couple of thousand more, but that's just me.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I would personally take the one with fewer km's on it. Its only 500 bucks more (when spending 23k + tax, 500 bucks really isn't that much). I got my 04 redline with everything cept the 6 speakers and sunroof(wish I had one tho) for 26k cdn with only 18km on it (hehehe..I was the first to drive it off the lot...good `ol show car). But none of us can tell you which to buy, we can merely offer our opinions. Don't buy a certain car because we are telling you too, buy the car you want to buy.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a-haaa!

well, therein lies the rub for me!

I 'want' to buy an SRT-4

but geez - this sweet little ION is 'the deal of the century!' at 23k cdn.

- the SRT-4 is gonna cost me 7k more.....
Why do I like the SRT-4? the turbo, the torque, all that power avail at 2200rpm, the LSD, and the sound it makes. :eek:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
atwilson said:
the torque, all that power avail at 2200rpm
We have almost all our torque at idle and right through to redline due to our supercharger where the SRT must spool up...granted they do have more power and will beat us in a longer (1/4) race, but the shorter the race, the more of an advantage to us...to some degree.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, the numbers are all so close between the RL and the SRT-4

I've been flip-flopping between the RL and the SRT-4.
I know that after I drive an RL and then go drive an SRT-4, I still get goosebumps in the SRT-4.

there's something raw and raunchy about the SRT-4 that is missing from the RL still. I'm trying to weigh the value of that.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Well either way you go, at least your going domestic. Fight the imports!!!...lol. I do agree that the SRT-4 sounds better and performs better (in certain aspects), but I just couldn't get the idea of it being a Neon on steriods (a 4dr neon at that). Now they claim that it is not a Neon, but it is the same platform as the Neon SX 2.0 so shush to them. The redline is a Quad Coupe on steriods and I don't deny it. Which ever one you get, I will applaud you for buying domestic.

<=====Woohoo for 100.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
XeroState said:
Well either way you go, at least your going domestic. Fight the imports!!!...lol.
I agree. I feel the exact same way (hence the user name) And you can't go wrong with either car. . . so good luck deciding

·
Registered
610 Posts
atwilson said:
or,

any thoughts?
Don't put too much value on one extra year of warranty. I only paid about $600 US for the 6/60 plan. I pointed out that you can always add it later so there was no incentive to buy it right away. A few minutes later they came back with "since you're effectively getting the car at the GM price you can get the warranty for the GM price". I knew they would. Also you need to be check the "in service" date. I bought a demo once and found out the warranty clock started when the vehicle went into demo service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts