Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped my hood today and noticed that the engine is starting to look a wee bit grubby. What do you guys use to clean your engine and related parts with?

·
Registered
681 Posts
LoungeLizard said:
I use the "brake clean" at the dealership I work at.
"Brake Kleen"?? The ammonia and alcohol based brake parts cleaner? Oh, my God....

I don't recommend using a cleaner that easily removes paint and would need to be sprayed all over to be effective, staying airborne just long enough to take the paint off of your fenders and engine parts.

I mix Castrol Super Clean half & half with water, it's a little stronger that Simple Green - works great.

Brake Kleen....did you light it on fire to make sure it got everything REALLY clean? Just messing with you, hoping you weren't serious.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Simple Green is great - I dilute and use it when I clean the carpeting and upholstery. I just use a stronger degreaser on the engine, or better than that, don't allow my engine to get to where I need degreaser...

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
We simply spray some diluted degreaser and spray it off with a hose. That cleans everything up just fine.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rlinbatonrouge said:
We simply spray some diluted degreaser and spray it off with a hose. That cleans everything up just fine.

I'm kinda hesitant about taking a hose and spraying inside my engine bay though. (computers and electrical stuff, you know)

I'll just use a couple of rags and some simple green.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
JPK said:
I'm kinda hesitant about taking a hose and spraying inside my engine bay though. (computers and electrical stuff, you know)

I'll just use a couple of rags and some simple green.
The same thing happens almost every time you drive in the rain with water splashing up in the hood. I'm not saying get a pressure washer and get a few inches from the BCM, we just use a regular hose to kinda spray everything off. Never had any problems yet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts