Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions where to pass wires/lines from the engine bay to the dash? I'm looking for a 'pre-existing' one, but any suggestions would be great...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
There are a few rubber grommets to choose from on the firewall. Just follow some wire bundles and you'll find em. Use a wire hangar to help guide you through with the new wire.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow man, I can't see any that are easy to get to at all, I can't even put my fingers on the ones I can see. You don't need to get under it do ya? I can see a few right in front of the dash, but I'd have to take a ton of stuff off just to touch it... I must not be looking in the right places so far...

Did ya have to remove anything to get to it?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I had to drill to get there. I ran all my Neon control wires through a punch out under the car. There are like 5 of them.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Look in the engine bay firewall. Find a good clear spot. Go inside the car on the passenger side and pull the carpeting up and away from the fire wall area. You will need to locate the area you just scouted out in the engine bay. You will do this at least a half a dozen times. From the passenger side interior punch a small hole (1/8 perhaps) to test it. MAke absolutley damn sure you are not going to hit any thing. Then punch a 1/2 inch hole. You can go to Radio shack to purchase gromets to place in the hole to make sure you don't cut the wires in the future when it vibrates aaginst the metal. Put some shrink tubeing on the wires where it goes through the gromet if you like for added protection. Then silicon the hole shut. The silicon will keep water from entering the cab and is easily reloved later. I suggest using black silicon. I have done this to about...oh... a million police cars. It's what I do.

I punched my hole just to the right of the center council and up above where your feet would be. Just below where the carpet ends. If I think of it I will get some pics tmrw (saturday) and post what I did. I do this all the time. Also a hamer drill will get you thru the fire wall instantly. lol

I hope that was clear.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
yes you will probably have to drill a hole here. if your car was auto it would have a lot of places to go through. as said above good advice follow it you should be ok

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I was hoping not to drill, but ya do what ya gotta do...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I didn't have to drill a hole at at all.

Look behind your pedals and to the left. You see the carpet? Now go up. There is a black foam material. Pull it back (you'll have to remove some side trim to do it, no big deal, pops on and off). You should see a couple of rubber grommets there with wire bundles already through them.

Take a wire coat hanger and using a fairly strong tape (electrical or duct) tape one end of the wire to the hanger. Now, run the coat hanger with wire attached through the grommet. Go under the hood and retrieve it.

That's all I did. It's not necessary to drill holes and all that shit. Unless the '05's are totally different than the '04's as far as running the wire harnesses into the dash. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I didnt want to do that method becuase I hate to ruin a wire loom by accident. It will work though easliy at that. Id just rather a new small hole with a grommet.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna give it another shot this afternoon. I put on the window ventshade visor thingys this morning, and I gotta hit up some yard work, pick up relatives at Ohare, and a list of other things just dropped into my lap.

JPK, thanks for the step-by-step, it was getting dark out last night when I was poking around looking for a good spot, so I'll look where you said this afternoon. I think I was right in the area you were talking about. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
if you just look high up by the pedals and pull the carpet you will see by my estimate 7 million wires come into the car. They are wrapped in a black tape looking stuff.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
goofyguy said:
I didnt want to do that method becuase I hate to ruin a wire loom by accident. It will work though easliy at that. Id just rather a new small hole with a grommet.
Good point.

Yeah, you'll wanna go easy with it using a hanger. Don't just be stabbing, poking, twisting and shit. Just go slowly and if you run into any snags, don't try and force it through. Also, wrapping the end of the hanger holding the wire with a few layers of tape will also help in not hurting anything.

I had NO problems running the wire for my shift light throught one of the existing grommets. You could also drill a new hole like Bill said. Either way will work, just depends on what you'd be comfortable doing.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
plasma torch will make quick work of it. Most likely damage everything but I promise you a hole in the firewall<-- most likely will be on fire but still what is our goal. Its a hole right?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's also weight reduction Goofy, why didn't I think of that... ya know, while I have the torch out, what are the chances of actually getting a fire? Who needs that heavy ass firewall anyway...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
as long as your at it. I have a few things not really needed. Only for ya know convience. Roof, door pillars, back seats, windows, windshield, steering wheel well half of it. And the heaviest of all the air vents.

but seriously I drilled above the brake pedal for my vac/boost line and soon my tach signal wire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts