Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anybody know where I can find a how-to to replace my injectors? I was reading the build book and they show the fuel rail being taken off and mention "take off the two bolts holding the fuel rail, leave the fuel lines connected" and i look around, i see the two bolts and also see the fuel line going in there, but that line looks like it's metal and not a "hose" or something flexible... how am I supposed to take off the fuel rail to replace the injectors and not bend that line???

Also, if I do leave the rail on and replace the injectors, will fuel pour out when i take an injector out?

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
bc3tech said:
anybody know where I can find a how-to to replace my injectors? I was reading the build book and they show the fuel rail being taken off and mention "take off the two bolts holding the fuel rail, leave the fuel lines connected" and i look around, i see the two bolts and also see the fuel line going in there, but that line looks like it's metal and not a "hose" or something flexible... how am I supposed to take off the fuel rail to replace the injectors and not bend that line???

Also, if I do leave the rail on and replace the injectors, will fuel pour out when i take an injector out?

thanks!
I believe they will all come out once you unbolt the fuel rail.

And only if you don't purge the line first. Ask NoRemorse how to do this...twice...

Basically pull the fuel pump fuse while the car is running and let it die. Then you'll have an empty fuel rail.

Reactions: SPLREDLINE

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Release fuel pressure, remove fuel rail, remove one injector, drain fuel, remove other 3. Replace. Done.

Make sure you clean the hell outta the area under the fuel rail, else sand will want to fall into the injector bosses...

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
handyjoe said:
I believe they will all come out once you unbolt the fuel rail.

And only if you don't purge the line first. Ask NoRemorse how to do this...twice...

Basically pull the fuel pump fuse while the car is running and let it die. Then you'll have an empty fuel rail.
hey! you and jason pulled the injector fuse, and not the pump. Granted I condoned it and thought nothing of it, I didn't make the choice!!

From now on, I will use HPT to kill the pump. lol, I didn't know if it would work, so I tried it while driving...... the fuel in the rail lasted about 30 feet, then it died. Fun test.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so am i to understand, then, that the fuel rail will move around w/ this "hard line" attached to it? and i only have to remove the two bolts connecting it to the block, not the bolt that's going into it on this line?

and i know how to relieve the pressure cuz i had to put on my fuel pressure sensor... yeah that was a fun time, good thing i remembered a rag! :)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
bc3tech said:
so am i to understand, then, that the fuel rail will move around w/ this "hard line" attached to it? and i only have to remove the two bolts connecting it to the block, not the bolt that's going into it on this line?

and i know how to relieve the pressure cuz i had to put on my fuel pressure sensor... yeah that was a fun time, good thing i remembered a rag! :)
Ah, you have the solid metal fuel line, and not the braided one like the 05+ Redlines... got it...

In that case, if it's like ours with the hard line, there's 2 bolts on the side of the block, driver's side, that have to come loose first to give you enough room to manipulate the line.

It should also be able to swivel 360* where the line meets the fuel rail, if it's like ours.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's a pic of what i'm worried about

two little circles outline where the two bolts on the block are, the big one is what i'm talking about.

as you can see my line's a bit retarded... comes all the way across the front and attaches to the rail on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Instead of running your engine out of fuel (LEEEEEEEEEEAN. not good.) just pop the gas tank cap to vent the tank pressure and use the valve on the fuel rail line as it's intended to release the pressure. you unscrew the cap and depress the little button. too easy.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
even though its solid u can still turn it and flip it around. you just cant pull it towards you. make sure you spray the injectors o rings too, i cant stress that enough. if that o ring dries out then you can lose a bit of pressure, even worse, youll leak. Even worse than that are the scortch marks, if its bad enough! Double check the metal clips and make sure they are attatched on both sides. Have extra dexcool just in case you have to remove that little radiator bolt thing ontop of the radiator hose.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
CAn't you just remove the fuse controlling the fuel pump right from the box? Then start her up until she starts to hiccup.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
KSC said:
CAn't you just remove the fuse controlling the fuel pump right from the box? Then start her up until she starts to hiccup.
spinner's argument is that doing that is bad as the engine will go lean... but i dont' think he's ever done it or he'd know that the engine might go lean for all of about 2 seconds. and i haven't noticed my AFR gauge peg out at the top while it does this either.
sheek360 said:
even though its solid u can still turn it and flip it around. you just cant pull it towards you. make sure you spray the injectors o rings too, i cant stress that enough. if that o ring dries out then you can lose a bit of pressure, even worse, youll leak. Even worse than that are the scortch marks, if its bad enough! Double check the metal clips and make sure they are attatched on both sides. Have extra dexcool just in case you have to remove that little radiator bolt thing ontop of the radiator hose.
christ this doesn't sound as simple as i thought it was going to be. guess it'll have to wait until i've got a weekend and the weather's nice.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
KSC said:
i disconnect the battery. remove the far right injector first and pour it all out onto rags. i didnt get that hicup when i first started the car too. ive always been told to remove the pump relay cuz its better, but i like my way. no injector hic ups and i can deal with washing my engine right after

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I wouldn't think doing this would be much different that running out of gas, no?

Hold up, lemme find the article for Stage 2 install...

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
yea, u might wanna start with a cool engine lol. but it only takes me less than an hour.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm just referring to all the seal checking, dexcool, etc shit. i was just going to take off the rail, take out the old ones, put in the new ones, put the rail back on. but hell if i gotta go buy all this extra shit and make sure the rings don't dry out and all that then i'm going to need more time to do things right.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
lol i dont even know if the 2.2's have that little radiator hose breather nut thing to the left of injector # 1! Better to be safe then sorry i guess.....

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
dude the injectors take like 45 minutes as long as your rail is the same design as ours and the injector plugs match, just rub a drop of engine oil (dipstick) on the o-rings, as far as the dexcool, just make sure the cooling system is cooled down, release the pressure using the resevoir cap, then reseal the cap, that way the vacuum will keep from leaking too much coolant if you even have to remove the line, worst case you leak 2 oz of coolant, add it back whenever you get a chance, no big deal.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Spinner said:
Instead of running your engine out of fuel (LEEEEEEEEEEAN. not good.) just pop the gas tank cap to vent the tank pressure and use the valve on the fuel rail line as it's intended to release the pressure. you unscrew the cap and depress the little button. too easy.
Not sitting and idling, lean is only bad under power. The car runs like 20:1 when you're decellerating, and such. Using the Schrader valve is possible too, but unless you have the right fittings you're going to soak the top of the motor with gas, or shoot it into your face, or have to toss a gas soaked rag on the garage floor later. None of these things are good ideas either.

I've done this on about 6 cars now. Pull the fuel pump relay, start it up, and it will run for all about 3 seconds.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts