Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got the trunk / bumper issue fixed today, seems like it should work ok. i dont like the way it looks at all but i guess nothing else to do except let the bumper get scratched to all hell. ill post some pics when i get home.

what they do is add 3 rubber stoppers to the immediate underside of the trunk lid. they have to drill 3 hole in the plastic to put the pieces in. then they stick 3 clear stickers to the bumper where the rubber will touch it. it looks real cheap and i dont like the stickers on the bumper at all cause you can see them as well as the rubber pieces even with the trunk lid closed. as i said just looks cheap.

this IS A FIX YOU CAN DO IF YOU WANT TO DO IT YOURSELF VERY SIMPLE!!!
if i would have known exactly what they did i would have done it myself instead of waiting the whole day for this. the bumpers are the exact same ones as the license plate ones behind your plate. these are really cheap at the dealer. they showed me the two part numbers they were the same. and the stupid clear stickers are the same as the ones that go under the hood or trunk to cover up some of the holes. look you will see them somewhere. i would have VERY NEATLY TRIMMED these so they were not visible on the bumper with the trunk closed!!!!! so i got home and peeled them off. im going to get some clear vinyl from my friend at a sign shop and cut these down in neat small circles and put them there instead. over all looks like it will solve the problem.

funny thing is this: while i was there all the salespeople and some of the office staff were very nice and some asked me why i was there because they knew my car was brand new. i told them and get this no one there had any clue about this. they all went out to check thier own ions and all came back in complaining about having to get it fixed. i though this to be very humerous. one ladys was terrible. most of the paint in that area was almost completley missing right down to the plastic. then we opened the brand new ones on the showroom floor, get this with only like 2-10 miles on them and they WERE ALREADY all scratched up not terrible (could be buffed out) but still they were there. they said they will have to do this to every ion on thier lot and the new ones that come in before they sell them.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I agree the Mylar tape looks cheezy. But we have to do it in accordance to the TSB. (no instructions or additional time allowances to trim the tape - lol)

But if the Mylar happens to accidentally "fall off" due to poor surface preparation, the rubber bumpers will still prevent any damage from the hatch hitting the fascia. One person I know just added on of those sticky funtiture "felts" to the bottom of the rubber bumper, worked good.

I presume they were able to buff out your marks to your satisfaction?
WOT

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I took my car in last friday for the problem and they buffed the scratches out and adjusted the bumper and told me to be careful when shutting the trunk, well the sratches are already back. I guess I'll just live with them since the bumper isn't gonna rust and I can only see them when the trunk is open.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*** well i took care of the scratches myself beforehand. i wet sanded them out them buffed the bumper myself. when i got there they buffed it just a little more to bring the gloss back a little more. i had got it almost perfect before hand.

max boost ther is an actual tsb for this for them to do what i spoke of above not just to re-align the trunk that does not work as stated by most here on the forums. you should bring it back and tell them about the tsb they will put the rubber pieces in for you. even if you dont have the tape like *** said if it doed scratch the bumper it will only be in three very small spots. i would call them up and have them do it again

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
zfactor said:
*** well i took care of the scratches myself beforehand. i wet sanded them out them buffed the bumper myself. when i got there they buffed it just a little more to bring the gloss back a little more. i had got it almost perfect before hand.

max boost ther is an actual tsb for this for them to do what i spoke of above not just to re-align the trunk that does not work as stated by most here on the forums. you should bring it back and tell them about the tsb they will put the rubber pieces in for you. even if you dont have the tape like *** said if it doed scratch the bumper it will only be in three very small spots. i would call them up and have them do it again
I'm going back this friday to have my rear seat cover replaced (This is their 5th attempt) so I'll bring it up to them then.

I swear I've been to the dealership more in the 2 months I've owned this car than the 2 years I had my Grand Am.

·
Registered
302 Posts
me and my parents fix scratches and dents and all that stuff for a living, so that does sound kind of cheasy, werer the scratches through a rubber if not they could have filled them with rubber and hardner and sanded it dound and painted it, i bet you paid a butt load for that huh

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes if buffing it does not remove the scratches they will repaint the bumper and the rear of the trunk lid to fix the scratches. if they are fine you can wet sand with 1500 grit waterproof paper and buff them out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts