Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am the proud new owner of a 2004 IRL. I recently upgraded from a 99 SL1 that I couldn't have been happier with but I needed more performance. A little about myself is that I am a car audio junkie and compete professionally during the summer months in Bass Race and dB drag competitions. My job is an audio/performance car parts sales person for a small yet famous car audio/performance parts shop. Before that I spent 4 years at Bestbuy selling car audio equipment and assisting installers when necessary.

As of tomorrow I will be finalizing my stereo install and will be sure to post pictures for all of you to see.

My system consists of 2 12 inch Alpine Type R's each sub running off an Alpine MRP-M450 (~450-500 watts x 1 @ 2 ohm RMS). My interior speakers will be upgraded to 4 6.5 inch Alpine Type S coaxial and will be powered off of an Alpine MRP-F350 (~50 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms RMS). My head unit (which is already installed) is an Alpine CDA-9857 but I am contemplating upgrading to the Alpine W505. Also installed will be 2, 1 farad Rockford Fosgate Capacitors and a Kinetic HC1600 Battery.

In my old car i was able to achieve a 137.9 dB rating at 43 Hz using a sealed box on official Termlab equipment at my last event using the above listed equipment. I cannot wait to see what I can achieve next year!

On to my questions. My car did not come with an owners manual and I am having difficulty locating the rear fold down seat switch/leaver. Where exactly is it? Second question is the rear deck lid cover. What is the easiest way to remove this without causing damage? Other then that I have almost everything figured out. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
THE LEGEND
2,603 Posts
Welcome bro, you'll love your rl, they are fun cars. I have an '04 too & just bought nitrous for it. I can't wait to get it hooked up. :) Any other question just ask & somebody will answer them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After running out in the freezing night I looked where specified and discovered that they were not clipped into there mounting holes! Someone had unclipped them and tucked them away! I remounted them and they work great. Thanks for the assistance. Now what about that rear deck lid?

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Welcome aboard! There's a button for the deck lid on the lower part of the dash to the left of the steering wheel below the cell phone pocket.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Oh, ok, just read your 1st post entirely, sorry. Haha, I'm a car audiophile too, I used to compete and judge in SQ... As for the rear shelf cover, iirc you remove the panels on the inside of the rear sail panels, and there are a couple plastic push in fasteners. I can't remember if you need to remove the 2 metal tie down ring things too, but it is easy to remove/install. Pretty much everything in/on the body of this car is super easy to work on, I love it!

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
I don't use the rear speakers, but I think they mount from underneath, maybe... I just unhooked them when I ditched the "Advanced Audio System" that was the 1st thing I did back in 04 when I bought the car new.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
You want a sound stage in a plastic car? Good luck with that.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Is it possible to have a forum member post the spare wheel well? I received my car with all the stuff just thrown in there. I would like to see how its all supposed to sit. Thanks in advance.
same happened to me they couldn't figure it out when they sold it to me. basically the foam ring goes down to level every thing out then the wheel face down with blanket over it. then expand jack to fill inner wheel and place lug handle on top of jack using holes for the rod to go through. then tighten down.

the trunk pic there is on the lid it self. adding some over lapped dynamat there will take care of 90% of the vibs with the trunk closed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
You want a sound stage in a plastic car? Good luck with that.
The plastic is actually much better than metal acoustically. Also the way the dash is more even side to side helps a lot with the sound stage. This car has huge potential SQ wise, that's what attracted me to the QC to begin with. Don't know if you're joking here. :shrug03:

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
The plastic is actually much better than metal acoustically. Also the way the dash is more even side to side helps a lot with the sound stage. This car has huge potential SQ wise, that's what attracted me to the QC to begin with. Don't know if you're joking here. :shrug03:
Kinda joking, kinda not. It is a good idea to a certain point. You end up with harmonic issues after a certain power level, where the panels begin to vibrate excessively.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts