Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of the vendors here carry this, or have access to it. I know someone around here ordered it for less than the $299 that they have listed on the site. Something around $250 or less anywhere? Anyone know a good site, or price for it. I figure at the very least, it's about 100 times more accurate than the ass-dyno method.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
This is a simple G meter device. I have a $40 model that is pretty damn accurate when used correct. Im talking within 10ths of a second and speed. I have seen them used the track and almost always the exact time within the 10th to 100ths.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yea someone help us with this, i want one as well but do not want to spend 300$ on it, come on vendors

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goofyguy said:
This is a simple G meter device. I have a $40 model that is pretty damn accurate when used correct. Im talking within 10ths of a second and speed. I have seen them used the track and almost always the exact time within the 10th to 100ths.
Yea, but all the extra stuff that comes with it. The computer interface, the data logging, etc, etc. Is what I'm after. Not just the accelerometers. Have you looked at the new ones? It's unreal what they can log. I mean, $300 is worth it, to me. I mean what else is there for testing some of these parts? You could dyno over and over again, but it seems like those are not always 100% accurate either. Wouldn't take long to hit $300 with one of those either. If I had went before and after my intake, I'd be at $150 right now. Plus I can use it in the Vette. I hate making changes without some sort of method of determing effect. You can use common sense to know what will work and won't work. That's hard to do though. The subjective idea of 'I'm pretty sure it pulls harder from 4k - redline, would be alot easier for me to answer. I'm a sucker for computer interfaces... too bad I can't get any info on the Saturn's computer... sigh...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i am thinking getting one for 300$ and just renting it out to friends for like 10$ a day

when i am not using it why not make the money, its 40$ to do 2 dyno pulls so i mean why not, might buy one b4 autox this weekend

if i can find the money.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Yea, but all the extra stuff that comes with it. The computer interface, the data logging, etc, etc. Is what I'm after. Not just the accelerometers. Have you looked at the new ones? It's unreal what they can log. I mean, $300 is worth it, to me. I mean what else is there for testing some of these parts? You could dyno over and over again, but it seems like those are not always 100% accurate either. Wouldn't take long to hit $300 with one of those either. If I had went before and after my intake, I'd be at $150 right now. Plus I can use it in the Vette. I hate making changes without some sort of method of determing effect. You can use common sense to know what will work and won't work. That's hard to do though. The subjective idea of 'I'm pretty sure it pulls harder from 4k - redline, would be alot easier for me to answer. I'm a sucker for computer interfaces... too bad I can't get any info on the Saturn's computer... sigh...

damn you software guys. You always have to see exact results. As well hows the Comp hack going.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goofyguy said:
damn you software guys. You always have to see exact results. As well hows the Comp hack going.
Well, it's not going very fast, that's for sure. There are not alot of answers where I'm looking. I can make sense out of some of the programing talk that I've found for various other ECM's. Just various types of dedicated circuit type stuff. Assmebly, I think, and stuff like that. Hey, guess who's name I found looking for Saturn ECU hacks? Adam Chant claimed to have done it a year or two ago, guess how that worked out for people? Besides that, I'm trying to figure out the multitude of scanners out there, and trying to figure out what network our cars run on. That much I've figured out from some conversations on here, and the choice between the Cobalt and the Redline systems is INCREDIBLY odd, like *** said. The regular Ion's run a much faster communications system than we do, to control things like the tranny, engine, and ABS systems. The high speed reactions, if you will. So what that concreted, I can get a setup the tap into the OBDII port and start dicking around. I was hoping there would have been more people with some familiarity of poking into the computer that could help me along. So far they either don't want to share with me, or don't have anything useful to add.

Next step is to spend some money. Gotta get the right tools to hook up to the car, that will work, and won't make me broke. I had a good one ready to order for $150, that interfaces right to my lap top, but it was using the CAN protocol, and I have to go back and see if it reads the Class2 network that we're running. I think it will, or they had another version for Class2, not totally sure. So basically I'm just sucking up information like a sponge, and there's alot of it. Unfortunately I'm not learning the one thing that I'm really looking for, and that's the definintion of the 'locked' chip in the PCM of the Satty. Obviously it isnt totally locked, or they wouldn't be able to upgrade the software in it at the dealer. Seems like it's something to do with modding the software as opposed to completely reinstalling it. Which is pretty much what GM does, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think the cobalt uses cobol language and the Ion uses punch cards..........Sadly enough, the last place I just worked at, we had a machine that had a punch card reader on it. Sitting right next to it was the next generation version that had a Cassette tape player built in.........

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TXRLU said:
I think the cobalt uses cobol language and the Ion uses punch cards..........Sadly enough, the last place I just worked at, we had a machine that had a punch card reader on it. Sitting right next to it was the next generation version that had a Cassette tape player built in.........
PUNCH READERS??? Bwhahahahahahahaha. That would SUCK!!!!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far the best price I'm finding with consistency is $279, which is what I think I remember someone from here paying before.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
there is almost no markup in this piece you are looking for, i sell them i have 2 in stock, i hardly make anything at the retail price on these. it is a great piece of equipment. if i could sell less i would. i will talk to them tomm and see if "maybe" they will do something for the forum but knowing them i doubt it very much, they were the same way with the first one that came out. i tell a lot of my customers that cant afford the 300 to check ebay from time to time, not trying to be rude to them but hoping they can get one from someone that maybe just cant use it or what have you. ill see what i can do but believe me i wouldnt be expecting a whole lot from them. sorry to say that
there is one ending on ebay in three hours at 230 or so right now.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zfactor said:
there is almost no markup in this piece you are looking for, i sell them i have 2 in stock, i hardly make anything at the retail price on these. it is a great piece of equipment. if i could sell less i would. i will talk to them tomm and see if "maybe" they will do something for the forum but knowing them i doubt it very much, they were the same way with the first one that came out. i tell a lot of my customers that cant afford the 300 to check ebay from time to time, not trying to be rude to them but hoping they can get one from someone that maybe just cant use it or what have you. ill see what i can do but believe me i wouldnt be expecting a whole lot from them. sorry to say that
The difference from $279 to $300 isn't much. I'd obviously prefer to pay as little as possible, but what can you get it shipped to me in Chicago for? I'd rather give the money to someone that I know a little better than some faceless website. I hate Ebay, cant stand the place anymore, so I don't go there much. Lemme know what you can do, I think I'd have to hold off two weeks to get it anyway. Just had to drop $4000 to a credit agency, so not sure how the finanaces are right now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
ill pm you when i go in to the shop tommorrow ill see how much it is and let you know. i dont sell very many of these the 2 i have were ordered in for customers that didnt pick them up. ill sell it to you at whatever my cost is plus shipping just let me check so i get the cost price right.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would be cool. Like I said, would most likely have to be in two weeks, but I might be able to work it this weekend. This is my 'light' bill paying check period. Although I have some money to pay back to the parents for helpng me with the crooked creditors, and not sure if I have to pay my lawyer that's looking into the situation. The parents never mind waiting on a loan payment, but I have some issues with spending money that should be going to them for helping me, ya know? Something in the $300 area might be workable though. I'll check after you check. Thanks man.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
dibs on the second one, just checked it out, full 2hrs of datalogging for road racing. pretty sweet for the autox guys (next year :( )

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
okay spooner and vita. sorry i dont have more i can do this with i will contact them to see what i can do for anyone here. ill pm you guys tomm as soon as i double check the price i paid i dont want to quote a wrong price.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
You need to think dumber man. Catch me if you can. At Saturn I realize the tool they have is quite costly but it can delete and transfer data to the system so there is a RAM based setup on there for it to use. Now Im sure the system is based on ROM table and the new software they give at the dealership is something that fights the on board ROMs for fuel and spark. Like a graphics card driver. The Graphics card want to read but the new software stops it and just smacks it around and tell it to get its stupid ass in gear and render. Ya know where Im going its just a icing layer that we have to manipulate to make the car so much sweeter. See if *** can send you the update on the computer so you can hack in to find the fuel and spark tables.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.