Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
i plan on a set after the christmas season. I saw a galant in my area with a conversion kit I think it was the 8000k purple and it was pretty nuts so I had to pull him over and ask. If you do tell me how it goes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How expensive are some of these HID bulbs? I don't want any knid of "nutty" colors, just white!

·
Registered
187 Posts
my buddy did a HID conversion and it ranged somewhere close to $300, so i say screw that, just get some silver stars

·
Registered
105 Posts
New Jersey will not inspect a car with aftermarket HID's from what I am told. Several other states won't either. Check your state laws prior to buying.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought some late last week off ebay and they haven't gotten to me yet. With shipping I ended up paying $320, which isn't all that bad considering the huge difference that there will be. To find the cheapest HID's I'd try ebay first and type in "hid 9007" and it will bring up all kinds of makers and temps. I bought a 12000K kit that is an extremely bright purple-white. I can't wait 'til they get here!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i'm pretty sure it's illegal to do a HID conversion now, due to something with headlight housings not being designed for the HIDs

go for it though, you can't ever see TOO much.

also, i thought a good quality HID setup was near 1000! 300 sounds cheap to me, i could be way behind the times on this one though

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had HID's on my SC2, they look awesome and definitely improve night driving. I paid a little over 5 bills, so they aren't cheap by any means. 3 bills sounds pretty cheap to me, makes me wonder. Anyways, I had 8000k, that is the best looking color IMO. Looks like the Porsche's HID's...

TOm

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i had hids on my sc2 as well, and as a matter of fact i just got online to order myself a set....what a coincidence. ill let u guys know in the next week or two how it went ok?

·
Registered
190 Posts
$300 does sound cheap, but I'm not real concerened. If you think about it, all the light has to do with the bulb. If you get a cheap bulb then you will have crappy light and have trouble there, but that's an easy fix, even though you'll end up paying $150 or better for Phillips bulbs As far as the rest of the set up goes, it's just the ballasts and little bit of wiring. I know that not all ballasts are created equal, but there really isn't much difference between the brands, other than the name. The only real difference may end up being total hours of usage, but seriously, these things can last more than 3,000 hours and that's on the lower end of the brand spectrum. I think the biggest thing with the decline in price is the simple fact that more and more car companies are putting hid's on at the factory. These companies have to stay competitive with the retail price from the car companies. It's just like every other new thing that hits the market, it starts high only to slowly fall. IMO! :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Respectfully, I have much better things to spend $300+ on. Like something performance oriented maybe? Why waste hundreds of bucks on some silly lights?

·
Registered
190 Posts
shaneathan said:
Respectfully, I have much better things to spend $300+ on. Like something performance oriented maybe? Why waste hundreds of bucks on some silly lights?
The main reason is night driving. I live in Iowa and the deer love to run out onto the the highways around here. Hid's give excellent visability at night. I'm just looking out for my baby! ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I guess out here in Vegas there isn't exactly a dirth of lighting so I'm not all that concerned. . . Good to know why someone would install them though. . .

·
Registered
187 Posts
shaneathan said:

amen!

just can't imagine paying $300 (now that i know im that cheap!) to $800 for some head lights.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put my HID's the other day and let me tell you, they make a huge difference! I drive 35 miles on the interstate every morning and night turns into day with these things. I really suggest them to anyone who has thought about getting them.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i have ones like that in my RL they do light up alot better than the factory lights but i do not think that they compair to the true H.I.D. it just looks alot better at night and on the car they are not as yellow as stock.

I got mine for 25$ they are nice i might some day go with true H.I.D.'s but for now the fake ones work fine

1 - 20 of 27 Posts