Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took him by surprise, and he was PISSED. Cruising around downtown Brighton around where I live and he cruised up next to me - de-badged, aftermarket exhaust, with his girlfriend in the car. The only way I could tell it was a GTP is because I could see the boost guage in the DIC.

The speed limit was only 35 so I quickly blasted up to that speed to let him know I wanted to play, so the next light I was at a dead stop and he was a couple cars behind me. The light turned green so GTP boy rolled through and punched it, while I had to launch, into and I shot ahead of him by the end of 1st gear, 2nd and I had about 3 cars on him, then got on the brakes because of the cops that love to frequent Grand River. He did a typical fly-by demonstration of suckage, probably because a Saturn had embarassed him in his "fast" Grand Prix with his girlfriend there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love beating and pissing off GTP drivers! For some reason, the 1997 to 2003 GTP's have became the ******* car of my town. Our population is only about 15,000 and there are atleast 30 of them. As the matter of fact, on Easter Sunday I raced one and completly handed him his ass. The funny thing was that I didn't even relize that he intended to race me until he jumped 2 cars on me, but once I hammered down all I did was walk him. It was actually really pathic! :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow some of you guys really have big heads about your cars. Worse than some Civic drivers ;) One of these days your gonna catch a for real modded GTP and get burned in the ass by a hot poker.Really it was a debadged GTP but you knew it was a GTP cuz you seen its boost guage huh?
Must have pretty good eyes to read that tiny of words/#'s from a whole car away huh? And 3 car lengths on a modded GTP with a stock Redline isn't gonna happen dude. Not saying you can't beat one but 3 car lengths equal to almost over 2 seconds in the 1/4 mile. You do the math. I think you may have raced a modded GT with some guages. :) Not trying to bash you man but i'm trying to think a little more rational here.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My friend has a modded GTP that runs 13.9s all day long... not much done to it either... Watch out, they can be beasts!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, for all you nay-sayers, I am POSITIVE it was a debadged GTP, I could not only see the boost guage when he was stopped next to me at the light (I was looking specifically for it, I've seen my share of GTP instrument clusters) but I could also hear the supercharger whining when he blew by me. I don't think my 3-car lead was purely by virtue of my Redline either; it's fast, yes, but I think he may have just backed off because of the heavy police presence on that stretch of road. And trust me, I also know the beast that GTP's can become - a guy I work with has one that his best run was a 12.8, so I'm aware. But the fact of the matter is I beat him, and I'm pretty sure I could've taken him by at least a little bit if it'd been a dead-stop-then-both-go race. Thanks for taking my kill and making it a shameful experience. :( Lol, I'm just kidding about that last part, but regardless.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hey monkey good job, regardless of what ppl say. I am always up for beating someone with the girlfriend in the car. Then again my last girlfriend wouldn't let me race with her in the car. I had to "behave". And as for the police presence there. They are dicks out in that area.

Try Gratoit some friday or saturday. Equal number of kills and be killed. From ion 1's to corvettes and GTO's. And everything inbetween and then some. Always fun. You can hone your launching skills there.

Always watch out for the man.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Why is there always that one person, who, coincidentally owns a similar car to the one beaten, always have to doubt. After we all stuck up for this guy with his SRT vid, the first thing he does is question a kill story. What a crock. Good run, good kill! Talk about having a big head, he comes in here and does nothing but talk about GranPrixs and Regals. Go find a GrandPrick forum if you want to doubt...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
01BlkRegal said:
Wow some of you guys really have big heads about your cars. Worse than some Civic drivers ;) One of these days your gonna catch a for real modded GTP and get burned in the ass by a hot poker.Really it was a debadged GTP but you knew it was a GTP cuz you seen its boost guage huh?
Must have pretty good eyes to read that tiny of words/#'s from a whole car away huh? And 3 car lengths on a modded GTP with a stock Redline isn't gonna happen dude. Not saying you can't beat one but 3 car lengths equal to almost over 2 seconds in the 1/4 mile. You do the math. I think you may have raced a modded GT with some guages. :) Not trying to bash you man but i'm trying to think a little more rational here.
No, you're thinking like somone who owns the same car... and something is not letting your ego accept this story. Which is pretty funny, because most people would think t a Regal taking an SRT is shit, which your hazy video did little to show otherwise. Funny, we all accepted that. Maybe that's cause were not CLOSED MINDED about cars that we don't own...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That's the thing about our cars, there are a bunch of people out there that are clueless. I say let em stay clueless, it'll give me more of that sleeper advantage that I have. But I must agree, these clueless people need to either find some information or find another website. Its ok if you have an interest in Saturn or the Red Line but if you don't have any information on either its best to keep your opinions to yourself. I'm not trying to be a Dick (ok maybe a little bit of one :D) but seriously what do you expect to find when you come into a "RED LINE FORUM"??

Oh and good kill man, I for one believe you because I've killed some cars that I thought were fast, and I've almost kept up with some cars I figured would dust me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, you're thinking like somone who owns the same car... and something is not letting your ego accept this story. Which is pretty funny, because most people would think t a Regal taking an SRT is shit, which your hazy video did little to show otherwise. Funny, we all accepted that. Maybe that's cause were not CLOSED MINDED about cars that we don't own...
That was a video, wasn't it? As in, if you looked hard enough, you could actually see the regal physically beating the SRT-4? I didn't see it so I don't know. But don't knock Regals because this guy has doubts about some of these stories, I have doubts myself. Many of these new RL owners seem to either have God on their side helping to push or run into the shittiest (but supposedly fast so it's a good story, yo) cars out there. Not saying this one was bullshit as I don't have much experience with those grand prixs, but some of you guys take it to fanboish levels. Recognize that there WILL be doubts about close races, and it doesn't matter if you really did that or not because we can't verify it. Ok? Xanax all around.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
BadCompany said:
That was a video, wasn't it? As in, if you looked hard enough, you could actually see the regal physically beating the SRT-4? I didn't see it so I don't know. But don't knock Regals because this guy has doubts about some of these stories, I have doubts myself. Many of these new RL owners seem to either have God on their side helping to push or run into the shittiest (but supposedly fast so it's a good story, yo) cars out there. Not saying this one was bullshit as I don't have much experience with those grand prixs, but some of you guys take it to fanboish levels. Recognize that there WILL be doubts about close races, and it doesn't matter if you really did that or not because we can't verify it. Ok? Xanax all around.
It was a video, at night, of two sets of taillights WAY in front of the car, and the people you could hear in the video weren't even really sure what happened. Funny, that you choose to comment without having any experience with at least one of the cars involved, nor did you see the video that I was talking about...

Go to any forums 'Kill Stories' and you see the same thing, the SRT guys claim to be beating new Vettes, with stage1 or 2, the Impreza kids think they're beating Vettes too. Funny enough, I don't pop in and tell them all that they're lying, becuase I wasn't there. I know 200 things that could make ANY car lose to ANY other car.

Of course people take it to fanatic levels, since we're all FANS of the car that we drive, in fact, believe it or not, we're in a forum to talk about it. :eek: :eek: That fanboi statement is the lamest thing in the world, by that logic, all people that think their cars are better than other cars, are fanboys. Oddly enough, any car enthusiast is a 'fanboy'. Just like a baseball or football fan. Same thing. Using the term fanboi on someone just makes no sense...

·
Registered
17 Posts
It was a video, at night, of two sets of taillights WAY in front of the car, and the people you could hear in the video weren't even really sure what happened. Funny, that you choose to comment without having any experience with at least one of the cars involved, nor did you see the video that I was talking about...

Go to any forums 'Kill Stories' and you see the same thing, the SRT guys claim to be beating new Vettes, with stage1 or 2, the Impreza kids think they're beating Vettes too. Funny enough, I don't pop in and tell them all that they're lying, becuase I wasn't there. I know 200 things that could make ANY car lose to ANY other car.

Of course people take it to fanatic levels, since we're all FANS of the car that we drive, in fact, believe it or not, we're in a forum to talk about it. That fanboi statement is the lamest thing in the world, by that logic, all people that think their cars are better than other cars, are fanboys. Oddly enough, any car enthusiast is a 'fanboy'. Just like a baseball or football fan. Same thing. Using the term fanboi on someone just makes no sense...
Sp00ner, you obviously know enough about cars to pass for the resident badass/guru around here with regard to vociferously defending the Rl's against all comers, so hopefully you'll lay off the childish sarcasm and not-really-witty comments. The majority of my post was about how sometimes it's hard to take these kind of claims of triumph in stride, especially if the original poster supposedly raced (and HANDED HIM HIS ASS no doubt) a car you have experience with. Now as to the part about being a fanatic about the car...I understand that. I have a thing for turbo regals, but I drive a beater '94 SL1 for the moment. I like the redlines just because they're Saturns that don't get beat by corollas, you know? I hope you understand that the fanboi comment was directed toward those who believe the redline can do no wrong. It's a nice car...if you like cars like that. I don't ever remember 'popping in' to tell them that they're 'all lying' either.

And what were you thinking with this?
That fanboi statement is the lamest thing in the world, by that logic, all people that think their cars are better than other cars, are fanboys.
That's obviously what I meant. Your sports analogy isn't the most accurate one in the world, while you specify individual sports as categories, it would be more accurate when compared to fans of specific sports teams, who (again) believe that their team can do no wrong. And that's really all I was railing against; not the redlines themselves or the owners of said car, but just the attitude that anyone who comes up to defend a car they know should be faster than it *supposedly* was deserves to be yelled at BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T THERE, SO SHUTUP.

Without malice,
Company

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
BadCompany said:
That's obviously what I meant. Your sports analogy isn't the most accurate one in the world, while you specify individual sports as categories, it would be more accurate when compared to fans of specific sports teams, who (again) believe that their team can do no wrong. And that's really all I was railing against; not the redlines themselves or the owners of said car, but just the attitude that anyone who comes up to defend a car they know should be faster than it *supposedly* was deserves to be yelled at BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T THERE, SO SHUTUP.

Without malice,
Company
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I had to specify sports teams. Are you impying that fans of sports teams are idiots? Same thing man, fans of sports teams, fans of car lines. Sorry, I should have been more specific. Again, all forums are full of quesionable 'kill' stories.

If you're posting 'Without Malice', perhaps you should avoid insulting my methods and my madness, or my 'not-really-witty' comments. I enjoy them, anyone that dosen't is free to tell me so, and they do, and I attempt to modify to be liveable on a day to day basis. Sometimes I fail. Either way, we defended the guy with the Regal over the SRT guys that claimed no way, and now the first post he puts up when seeing one that is related to a similar car, is how we have big heads, and stopped JUST short of calling the poster a liar. With his 'must have good eyes to read the little numbers' comment. I'm not doing anything above and beyond the realm of being an *******. Just telling him that if his video, which I suggest you watch, wasn't anymore proof than the story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm thinking maybe reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Never did I mention anything about fans of sports teams being idiots, and the only reason I went anymore in-depth than needed was because your analogy as it stood was illogical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany

Without malice,
Company

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I had to specify sports teams. Are you impying that fans of sports teams are idiots? Same thing man, fans of sports teams, fans of car lines. Sorry, I should have been more specific. Again, all forums are full of quesionable 'kill' stories.

If you're posting 'Without Malice', perhaps you should avoid insulting my methods and my madness, or my 'not-really-witty' comments. I enjoy them, anyone that dosen't is free to tell me so, and they do, and I attempt to modify to be liveable on a day to day basis. Sometimes I fail. Either way, we defended the guy with the Regal over the SRT guys that claimed no way, and now the first post he puts up when seeing one that is related to a similar car, is how we have big heads, and stopped JUST short of calling the poster a liar. With his 'must have good eyes to read the little numbers' comment. I'm not doing anything above and beyond the realm of being an *******. Just telling him that if his video, which I suggest you watch, wasn't anymore proof than the story.
I might add that at the time you were having a considerable spat with the SRT-4 chaps from across the lane, so it was unlikely in the extreme you would side with them over anything. I didn't really mean to be insulting toward your mannerisms, but I don't need the sarcasm, even from the resident *******.

This really is more about tolerance among car owners than anything, ESPECIALLY with regard to RL owners looking foolish making claims that other people just read and scoff at. (Let me reiterate so you don't get the wrong idea: I'm not calling this original poster a liar, and I'm not naming any names from this site. I also understand that, yes indeed, there are questionable kill stories everywhere. I just like this forum, and the redline, so I 'd rather we didn't garner the attitude of the conqueror so soon.

Edit: The guy who posted this seems to have a habit of watching tachs. I give you this just in case someone forgot:

Tried to race a few more cars on the way home; I failed with a '96 Impala SS and a 1998+ Trans Am, but then found a Suzuki Esteem with a shiny exhaust, A-pillar guage pod, and fatty tach that wanted to play. So I let him have his moment, he got right up next to me, but I was only going 60 so I COULD get the downshift to 3; sure enough, he started running, I saw his tach moving, so I moved to 3rd and even before I banged it into 4th he was way back, couldn't even estimate how many cars.
What it comes down to is that he already admitted the GTP may have let off the gas to avoid detection by the police...so it wasn't the race it was purported to be in the beginning.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
BadCompany said:
I'm thinking maybe reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Never did I mention anything about fans of sports teams being idiots, and the only reason I went anymore in-depth than needed was because your analogy as it stood was illogical.

I might add that at the time you were having a considerable spat with the SRT-4 chaps from across the lane, so it was unlikely in the extreme you would side with them over anything. I didn't really mean to be insulting toward your mannerisms, but I don't need the sarcasm, even from the resident *******.

This really is more about tolerance among car owners than anything, ESPECIALLY with regard to RL owners looking foolish making claims that other people just read and scoff at. (Let me reiterate so you don't get the wrong idea: I'm not calling this original poster a liar, and I'm not naming any names from this site. I also understand that, yes indeed, there are questionable kill stories everywhere. I just like this forum, and the redline, so I 'd rather we didn't garner the attitude of the conqueror so soon.

Edit: The guy who posted this seems to have a habit of watching tachs. I give you this just in case someone forgot:

What it comes down to is that he already admitted the GTP may have let off the gas to avoid detection by the police...so it wasn't the race it was purported to be in the beginning.
I'm sorry my analogy wasn't spelled out in little letters for you, most people would have understood it just fine as is. That, alone is little basis to question my reading abilities. The sad part is it even works the way I spelled it out, are you telling me that football fans don't call soccer a girls sport? Basketball vs. Baseball? You can't possibly tell me you've never seen that arguement before. I get bashed by baseball purists all the time for liking football more than baseball... so my analogy works either way, if you can't understand it, that's your own issue.

MY, as you call it, spat, with the SRT 'chaps' from across the way, was started by one of them saying they were blowing the doors of a redline without shifting beyond 4k. THEN, they got pissy when I started a post, which SEVERAL people besides me posted to, about beating one with a Yugo. What you also don't seem to realize, or care to mention, is the fact that I stopped doing it, and had the distasteful posts deleted by the moderator, and then offered a near apology asking what it would take to end the flaming. Just because I don't take shit from them when 16 yr old SRT owners post crap, dosen't mean that I categorize them all as one. If they're right, I'll side with them.

The problem here, is the fact that nothing can be proven, and that's my point. Someone coming in here and calling BS is basically saying that it didn't happen. My only point is that it could have. If someone wants to prove otherwise, it's impossible.

My arguement is based on the fact that you can't prove anything in one of these kill stories. The fact that they are questioned, almost everytime, by someone who either owns, or is a fan of, a related type of vehicle. For example, you're a fan of turbo-regals. So this whole GTP thing hits home for you, else you never would have given it another thought. Again, you don't see me in other people's forums, calling all of their kill stories lies or exaggerations.

My favorite part is where you don't mean to insult my 'mannerisms', right before you call me the resident *******. :rolleyes: Nice touch. If you think I'm the resident *******, you've got some other people to meet. I'm just the one that posts alot, and has alot to say. More than some people want to hear, and some people enjoy hearing it. I personally don't give a shit, I'm not here for a popularity contest. If you don't want to argue with the 'resident *******' then I suggest that you not get into arguements that cannot be won. The only conclusion to this story, is that it might have happened, if you can prove otherwise, I welcome you to present the case. I can just go pull up the last 200 posts about this exact same matchup, no one could prove it then either.

You can think I'm the 'foul-tempered, forum *******', or you can understand that I have a strong opinion, and if you disagree, I'm going to ask you to make me believe it too. There is more than one occasion where I have completely changed my thinking from a good arguement here. You cannot argue a kill story about two cars that are this close. Had he posted the fact that he beat a new Ferrari, I'd be all over him. A 99+ GranPrix is nothing to get excited about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You called yourself the ******* dude.
I'm not doing anything above and beyond the realm of being an *******.
GTPs aren't exactly the equivalents of turbo regals, but it doesn't really matter. I jumped on the sports as a whole thing because we're comparing different makes/models, oftentimes by the same manufacturers. So that fits closer to different individual teams rather than altogether different sports. It's hard to compare baseball against basketball because they are inherently so different. It's not hard to compare different teams that play the same sport, just like it isn't hard to compare different cars. If we were comparing cars and mopeds and sailing boats, I'd agree with your sports analogy. Really I don't think we're too far away from eachother in this argument. I'm on your side, I like redlines, I don't like it when people disregard another person (even if it is because he has a personal/egoistical stake in the outcome) for questioning the results of a race. It makes people compare possible mods and eventually (as in this case) the truth comes out that just maybe they weren't both racing to the maximum extent of their cars abilities. Lets shake hands and agree that rational discussion is at least welcome on this board, especially the kills section, even if it starts life as someone protesting because they feel their honor may have been impinged upon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I haven't met any other assholes here, and I'm sure that I've witnessed you refer to yourself as the boards ******* at least once or twice (maybe it was in context, and you didn't come out and say it, but you seem to be proud of that reputation, of your ability and penchant for argueing). This isn't going to turn into a flame war on my watch. It's apparant you enjoy participating in this kind of verbal brawl...but as for now I don't think I'll take you up on it.

Edit: Read my last post...you steamrolled over it while I was re-editing. I think it ends this argument right where it really needed to be ended.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Sorry, you edited that after I puked out my last response.

I'm not sure if I'm not being as clear as I think I am, or if we're just not understanding each other. I was defending the fact that this COULD have happened, not DID happen, not WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN, or anything like that. Just the fact that it COULD have occured. Now, if we agree on that, then we agree and we've both been misunderstanding each other. Perhaps I got a little carried away, but that was my point. You, and I both know that he responded to that since he's a fan of the GTP/Regals. We also should know that there was an obvious overtone to the response. The fact that I was quite bored at work today didn't help either. I don't want to be labeled as the complete ass-monkey that no one can ever disagree with, but over something like this, it's a no-win situation.

I'm more than willing the shake hands... hmm.. there's no icon for that in the message... and agree on what you said. It's what I've been meaning to get across all along.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If that's the case then we've just collectively wasted about 1,000 words and 2 hours. It happens, and as long as there is no lasting harm done, it's all good.

·
Registered
291 Posts
who needs tv when you have this

1 - 20 of 24 Posts