Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Been a while but once in a while the 2006 needs some love. Because the car sits more than it used thanks to working from home, the fuel lines rusted out. I ordered fuel lines from Lines To Go and installed them two weeks back. Replaced the fuel filter while I was in there. Both the supply and return lines are brand new hard lines. Ever since then I've been getting long, long crank times and sometimes have to stop and try a second time before it fires. Once fired I noticed it hesitates when I get on it. So I decided to pull the injectors and get them cleaned and tested to Injector Rehab. Did that - they weren't terrible and they came back with good marks after cleaning, reinstalled and it was like 30%-40% better. Wasn't hesitating when I did a pull (as much, still like 10%-20% there). But then I got the P0171 code pop up. So I checked vacuum lines, made sure things were good there, sprayed some non-chlorinated cleaner around to see if the car bogs while idling. Nothing, no issues. I took the MAF off and cleaned that, put it back on. Same long, hard start. Decided to check the O2 read outs on the Interceptor gauge and was watching the O2 voltage go from 750-850 and then drop to 40 or 50 and then go back up to 750, 850 and then drop back down while idling. Haven't gotten out to check what it reads on the street. Is that reading normal while idling or is my O2 sensor the issue? Is my fuel pump going bad? I'm not sure what's next besides those two.

Help is appreciated!

-Joe

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Have you checked fuel pressure at all? Could just try pressing the shrader valve after trying to crank

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a gauge coming in today or tomorrow to check.

Something tells me though it must be something I've touched with the fuel line install. It happened immediately after I completed it. Almost as if I didn't plug something back in or maybe the return/vent line is leaking or something. Perhaps the pump can't discharge the tank enough because the vent line is obstructed or kinked or not plugged into the charcoal box properly.

I got a new code with the 0171 now, it was P0446 which is something I got like a year and a half ago - it went away on its own back then. Wondering if something on my install isn't happy?

I let it crank until it fired yesterday and it took about 5-6 seconds and then started like a cold diesel where it loped and eventually smoothed out within another 4-5 seconds. Then it runs pretty well minus the slight hesitation when getting on it on the street.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Hm. Yea if it wasn't doing that prior to working on the fuel system id go back over it. Make aure none of the plastic lines got a crack in em

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just finished testing fuel pressure. Going to run without starting the fuel pressure goes to 45psi for 5 seconds and then drops to 0psi. When it cranked it cranked for about 3-4 seconds and the fuel pressure was building throughout that 3-4 seconds (evenly over that time) until it reached 45psi and then the car started. From there with the car running fuel pressure was 55-58psi. Subsequent re-runs of what I just did had fuel pressure bouncing erratically (like needle jumping) between 50-60 when it ran again, but that could have been the pressure gauge (it's only a $35 kit) just reading wonky.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I'd agree it sounds like the pump/regulator causing it to not hold pressure

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds like excessive bleedback. The pressure should drop no more than 10 psi over 5 minutes.
Would that be fuel pump-related to you?

If I had a leak, I'd imagine it would bleed slowly over several seconds, not immediately. I'm going to double check connections here in the next day or so but I don't see apparent leaks under the car.

By the way the P0171 went away so I think I fixed that with the injectors. I just think I've had three poorly timed different problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leaky injectors could cause the bleed-off and a hard start with a manifold full of fuel.
Injectors have been tested to 100PSI and show no signs of leaking. I had them sent out for cleaning and testing.

I should mention if I turn the key to run and hold it there for 2 seconds before starting it starts just fine. So if I give it a sec to prime it starts no problem. I just can't go straight to start, that's when it takes 5-6 seconds to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Injectors have been tested to 100PSI and show no signs of leaking. I had them sent out for cleaning and testing.

I should mention if I turn the key to run and hold it there for 2 seconds before starting it starts just fine. So if I give it a sec to prime it starts no problem. I just can't go straight to start, that's when it takes 5-6 seconds to start.
Sounds like a tired fuel pump. How many miles on it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, maybe its time to start looking into a new fuel pump. Your's is the '06, so Delphi FG2064. They're about $250.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I think I saw the one you speak of. Didn't look too terrible. The hardest part is getting 15 year old clips off, but since I was in there for the fuel line swap already it shouldn't be too bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts