Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so far my car has a 2.9 pulley, 42 lb injectors, stock belt, and an exhaust...Im thinking about ordering a zzp stage 1 heat exhanger, will that increase boost at all ? Im on like 10-13 lbs right now depending on the day. Also my computer says series 3, im guessing its a stage 3..Im aloud to shift at like 7100 rpm...its from intense racing...So my question being, will a stage 1 heat exchanger do any good ? is it needed as of now because im just looking to gain some boost...

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
1st let me say welcome aboard RLF! :)
A heat exchanger will not affect boost psi, it will lower your iat2 temp and help prevent loss of power from the excess heat generated by the smaller pulley on the blower. Cooling mods are very important and really should be done 1st, before the pulleys and stage tunes. IDK anything 1st hand about the tunes and stages from intense, but I have heard a lot of bad things about their tunes. You might want to get a second opinion and have some other tuners check out your tune.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Haha, don't worry about boost psi, it's just a number. People are blowing by you because of heat soak. Let me guess, when you're just cruising along nice and easy, then you downshift and mash the gas, your car runs like a bat outta hell for a min, then you shift gears and the power starts to fade away right? That's because the stock inter cooling system can't handle the heat generated by the smaller pulley...

What to do? Get all the best cooling mods you can (stage3 H/E, dual pass end plate, and option b is a good start) Then get a 2.7 pulley, 80# injectors, switch to e85 100 octane fuel, and get a real custom tune from a reputable tuner. A tune that is really "tuned" to your car, not a "canned tune" that was created on another car in another location with different conditions. Then your redline will really wake up and start blowing by a lot of them instead! ;)

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Also, you may want to check for a boost leak too. I just realized re-reading your post 10-13 psi is low for a 2.9, it should be more like 15-16. But, exhaust will drop that # as well. What size is your exhaust? Also, what boost gauge do you have? different boost gauges will vary that # as well.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I have the stage 3 heat exchanger and a 2.9 I'm about 16 psi.
And dude you on the stock belt. Your shizz might be slipping yo.

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
I was thinking the same about the boost level there redlinenoob. Get a stg2 belt, a wideband, dual pass, cobra heat exchanger at minim, find someone with hp tuner, and get a much better tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy that put my pulley on...said the stock belt was not slippign and fit perfectly..We tried putting a stage 2 belt on, but there was no way in hell it was going on.

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
Something is not right there the stg 2 belt is for a 3.0 or 3.1 which ever that pulley is. Take a picture of your current pulley on the car. They had your use oversized tensioner pulleys in the past to keep it from slipping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
how do u boost leak test a supercharger? and im boostchicgo's buddy i dont get why the stage 2 belt didnt fit and the guy said u need a double side belt for that. bcuz the stage 2 belt is only one sided. and he said the stock belt was perfect for it. but idk how to put that stage 2 belt on.... please help!!!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
this sounds like whoever did the stage kit was not experienced... i would def get that stage 2 belt, better tune, and def some cooling mods

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Stage 2 belt is double sided and is a must below 3.0 pulley. The only way the stage 2 might not fit Is if there is an over sized belt tentioner. Measure you tentioner. I had full exhaust on my 2.9 and had about 15.5 psi. Stock boost is a hair over 12psi. The belt is very easy to change. The hardest part is compressing the tentioner with out damaging the tentioner pulley.

Boost is also controlled by the comp so your tune could be bleeding boost. But at 13psi is unheard of. Check all lines connected to the S/C for holes. Also make sure the s/c to intake many is not upside down.

Good luck bud

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
Boost leak test is done just like you boost leak a turbo setup. Our stock belt and stay two belt are both two sided we have ribs on either side. Sounds like y'all had the wrong belt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya the stage 2 belt that zzp gave him with the pulley when he ordered was a one-sided belt. And it was way to small. Would gm sell the stage 2 belt thats double ribbed ? Where can we get one by tomorrow...

·
Registered
38 Posts
well we did buy the stage 2 belt from zzp for like 45 bucks, and its the only stage2 belt they sell and it comes only one sided thread not both sides. so now im lost on that? and the car is doing 14.5 psi at 3rd gear at 60mph on a 2.9 pulley and heat exchanger is on the way.....i need help on this belt issue now???

·
Registered
38 Posts
ya im 100 percent sure bcuz i went to lsj ion redline section on the zzp where i bought all my stuff at and they had the belt and it was only grooved on one side. is there anywhere else i can get this belt at? and when we try putting on that belt there was no way it was going on WAY to small.

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
That's odd we ordered a stg2 belt from them month or so ago and we got the correct belt. We also ordered a adjustable belt tensioner.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts