Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I started having an idle problem - it's hot here (finally), with highs in the high 80s/low 90s. I have an AEM short ram that was installed a month ago, and haven't experienced this problem before.

After a bit of driving, with the car fully warmed up, when I pull up to a stop light, the idle will do crazy stuff, like drop down to 300-500 or so, surge back and forth, and it's stalled twice. It starts right up, and towards the end of my commute (country roads, 45-60 mph, 29 miles total), it goes away.

Has anyone dealt with this problem?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Hey, SatredL is having a VERY similar issue! His started after he installed his short ram. Not saying it's the intake or anything, but he just posted about it this morning!

Edited: I see you've figured this out already...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just it - I've had the Barry mod going since December, and my AEM on since last month, and no problems until the warm weather hit...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
....and no code or anything huh? The first few days it warmed up around here, I was getting a check engine light at almost the exact same spot on my drive home, 3 days in a row. Now that it's even hotter, it's 93 out right now, the car is just fine and I haven't seen it since.

Are you thinking that it's related to the intake at all? Anything else that's consistent about the time the problem occurs? I mean, it's not related to sitting in traffic, or the speeds that you're driving before stopping?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My drive has been the same route for a month, I've run the air conditioner off and on, mostly off though, and it's warmed up for the past 2 days, like a 10-15 degree difference...

No check engine lights. It probably would have stalled more, but I worked the throttle to keep in running.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Have you reversed the wires on the intercooler water pump yet,

·
Registered
541 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Yesterday, I started having an idle problem - it's hot here (finally), with highs in the high 80s/low 90s. I have an AEM short ram that was installed a month ago, and haven't experienced this problem before.

After a bit of driving, with the car fully warmed up, when I pull up to a stop light, the idle will do crazy stuff, like drop down to 300-500 or so, surge back and forth, and it's stalled twice. It starts right up, and towards the end of my commute (country roads, 45-60 mph, 29 miles total), it goes away.

Has anyone dealt with this problem?
Jim, I have. It finally took about 4 times to get a light in the far right hand lower corner of the dash to go off. Kinda looks like an arrow pointing down through the engine. I took it into Saturn, they ran diagnostics and found it to be the BPS (Barometric Pressure Sensor). It lets the computer know exactly how much boost there is in combination with the MAP sensor. MAP (Manifold Absoloute Pressure) -(Minus) BPS = amount of boost. For example if the MAP reads 20psi and the BPS reads 14.7, ammount of boost = 5.3psi. It allows the comp to adjust timing, fuel and spark. If it is malfunctioning the computer will not know how to react, also the comp doesn't know if the thing is lying......As in showing "false" pressure and causing the engine to stall. Remember the sensors will only throw codes if the fail certain self tests. If there is a software issue the computer may never pick up on it.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, thanks rip - yes, john, the intercooler wiring issue has been corrected. Dang this thing!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Hmmm, thanks rip - yes, john, the intercooler wiring issue has been corrected. Dang this thing!
olrighty then now im out of ideas

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned the MAF, reinstalled the intake, and it started idle surging right from the get go - disconnected the battery, we'll see what happens in a bit...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. The dealer took the car in and they came up with bad gas. Well, I have four tanks of good gas now through it and I still notice a slight drop in RPM at startup. It surges, almost seems to give itself fuel to keep itself running. But I have noticed that after just a bit of driving,m the idle is just a bit rougher than it was after startup. I can feel the car moving.

Thi has just started as the weather has warmed up. I've had the IWP rewired, the reflash and I am completely stock. Not sure, but I am taking it in Monday to go over it with the techs. Also going to take one for a ride and let them feel the buck at heavy throttle. They said over the phone that it must be me shifting. Yeah, it's my shifting, while my right foot is buried in the gas. It's well after the shift.

'course, these are tha same techs that told me to use 87 octane only in the RedLine...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
My drive has been the same route for a month, I've run the air conditioner off and on, mostly off though, and it's warmed up for the past 2 days, like a 10-15 degree difference...

No check engine lights. It probably would have stalled more, but I worked the throttle to keep in running.
Jim. You have a vast knowledge of a lot of vehicles. Have you seen this before? Stupid question? How does the ECU interact with the weather? Just wondering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts