Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, I want to put some white LED turn signal bulbs in and I am having some problems I've never had before. :silly: I got some bulbs off ebay sive 3157 and stuck them in. they looked awesome, I went for a drive and my turn signal was twitching fast(like when your turn signal goes out) and after a few hours I pulled them out and they both were really hot and had a few small signs of burnt plastic. (also on bulb had a solder come loose on one of the wires so it was out, I think It was just cause it was a crappy bulb though). Anyways, Im getting some silverstars right now and I would love the look to the LED turn signals Im just kinda nervous to do anything now. I had read a few things about resisters helping with the fast twitch, but Im still concerned about how hot they were... any advice?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
you'll need those resistors to take care of the fast blinking.

don't know about the heat issue, but it could be a combination of a few things:

the LED's are being driven to provide high light output which uses more energy and creates more heat.

the lack of resistance means there is more power being passed through the LED's instead of being used up by the resistors which causes heat.

they could simply be cheap ebay leds...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you'll need those resistors to take care of the fast blinking.

they could simply be cheap ebay leds...
Yeah, I returned the ones I got originally for a refund... but I was thinking about buying another set from a different seller.... Do you know how to install the resisters... and can that screw anything up?

·
Registered
920 Posts
the resistors are what is going to help. The will change the speed they are blinking as well as the heat issue. They are blinking faster because they are a lower resistance which means more current is going through the bulbs..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the resistors are what is going to help. The will change the speed they are blinking as well as the heat issue. They are blinking faster because they are a lower resistance which means more current is going through the bulbs..
Is there or a certain type of resister I would need to get or is it more of a one size fits all type of thing?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
i've tried this before. ordered the bulbs and the resistors. spend the better part of 2 hrs working on it.

i could get one working but the other would be steady or the all the dash lights would flash when i put the blinker on. tried with and without the resistors and different combinations of the 2.....NOTHING works. the damn bcm kicks in and won't let you do it. i swear we drive the only car where the blinkers are computer controlled...lol

i have LED bulbs in my map lights, overhead light, licence plate, and side markers. all of those work fine.

btw...not to thread jack.....but were you on I80 west...by truxel last friday?? i saw a red comp pkg rl going the opposite direction i am.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have LED bulbs in my map lights, overhead light, licence plate, and side markers. all of those work fine.

btw...not to thread jack.....but were you on I80 west...by truxel last friday?? i saw a red comp pkg rl going the opposite direction i am.
Yeah I got those same LED mods too, I looks really clean.. Ive done it to a few cars... but like you said... for some reason our car I guess doesnt like if we mess with the turn signals... If you remember were you using a 3 or a 6 ohm resister?

And as far as seeing me, that is very like you did. I am over in that shopping center off truxel a couple times a month... I think I was over there last week, I forget what day though. a dead giveaway its me is the black emblems

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Yeah I got those same LED mods too, I looks really clean.. Ive done it to a few cars... but like you said... for some reason our car I guess doesnt like if we mess with the turn signals... If you remember were you using a 3 or a 6 ohm resister?

And as far as seeing me, that is very like you did. I am over in that shopping center off truxel a couple times a month... I think I was over there last week, I forget what day though. a dead giveaway its me is the black emblems
I don't remember what ohm the resistor was. whatever is on superbrightleds.com

i didn't see your emblems i was doing 80 in the opposite direction lmao!! but it prolly was you....right on!! I was in my RL going to roseville to drop my daughter off to her moms for the week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sooooo.....there is no other option if I want to convert my DRL's to LED switchbacks?? There is NO such relay to replace?? I HAVE to use the resistor solution???

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Note for other people who want to do this to other cars you may have, what you can do is use an HEavy duty flasher, HD flashers Will blink the same no mater the load. This won't work on are cars and most NON commerical Gm's as they BCM controlls all that BS.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Note for other people who want to do this to other cars you may have, what you can do is use an HEavy duty flasher, HD flashers Will blink the same no mater the load. This won't work on are cars and most NON commerical Gm's as they BCM controlls all that BS.
Stig, can you please clarify if I am reading this right? You are saying a heavy duty flasher will NOT solve the fast blinking problem on our cars? Just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Thanks.

:cowsmile:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Stig, can you please clarify if I am reading this right? You are saying a heavy duty flasher will NOT solve the fast blinking problem on our cars? Just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Thanks.

YES, we do not have a flasher, the BCM (car computer) controls the flashing and general light control of the car.

I do have a permanent solution for for people who want the lights to flash normally with led's.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Okay, so is your solution the load resistors? Thanks for letting me know we don't have flash modules. I'd have been tearing my car apart looking for it!

Let me know what your solution is if you don't mind. Otherwise I'll just go the load resistor route.

·
Registered
884 Posts
6 ohm load resistor worked like a charm for me. I only have the LED's in the rear though so i don't kno if that would work the same for the front.

·
Registered
270 Posts
6 ohm load resistor worked like a charm for me. I only have the LED's in the rear though so i don't kno if that would work the same for the front.
Don't see why they wouldn't. Thanks for the resistance fyi. So with 6 ohm do they flash at the same speed they did previously with the conventional bulbs?

Also, one resister for each corner signal right? Thanks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
they do work for front too
only make sure you install them right (i know they say install them 1 end to negative and 1 end to positive, but just install them on positive "blue wire iirc")
and you're set

1 - 20 of 50 Posts