Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SITUATION:
I am supercharging my 2007 2.2L Saturn Ion. I have all of the parts needed (LSJ manifold, idler & tensioner pulley, m62 blower, I/C pump, coolant lines, heat exchanger w. bracket, MAF Extension, Throttle Body 6 pin to 8 pin, 60# injectors, all bolts... etc.) Tune will be done through HP Tuners, I am going to buy a Tuned PCM from ZZP as they support the 2007+ 2.2L (I got lucky!) and then fine-tune with HP Tuners at home after installation.

THE PROBLEM:
How to wire the sensors properly? There is a MAP on top of the blower, I understand that get LEFT ALONE (not used at all) from previous builds that I have seen. The LSJ intake has a 4-pin TMAP sensor on it. My 2.2L has only a MAP on it, which is only a 3-pin connector (no temp reading).
I need either a ZZP 4 bar MAP sensor (3-pin, direct plug-and-play which is PRESSURE only), which is found here:
4 Bar MAP Sensor

OR, I need to wire in the 4-Pin LSJ TMAP sensor (2.5 bar) (I have one, looks like this)
LSJ 2.5 Bar TMAP Sensor

THE THEORY:
I need to get a temp reading from my manifold after the S/C compresses it with its lovely rotors and heats it up. On the 2007 2.2L Ion, there is NO IAT sensor; rather, the MAF reads temperature in place of an IAT as seen on pre-2005 models. My PCM receives an air temp reading from my MAF, so I am ASSUMING if I wire the LSJ TMAP temperature wire signal to the temperature wire of my MAF, that this may be a possible solution? See ATTACHED image (MAF WIRES.jpg)

Beck's 2.4L supercharger build (done on a 2005 model) can be seen HERE: http://www.*************/forums/how-guide-43/how-beck’s-2-4l-supercharged-build-walkthrough-80620/
What he did was wire the LSJ TMAP to his IAT sensor. Since I DO NOT have an IAT sensor, I am assuming that if I wire my TMAP temp to my MAF temp that this will work... (refer to attached image for Beck's Diagram to the IAT).

Let me know your thoughts, this is the last uncertainty that I have for this build! Will be making a DETAILED forum on How To Supercharge your 2007+ 2.2L once I complete this >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Beck's 2.4L supercharger build (done on a 2005 model) can be seen HERE: http://www.*************/forums/how-guide-43/how- ............ I think your url got deleted somehow

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Woops appears it keeps altering the URL with ***** symbols. HERE is the link to Beck's 2.4 S/C Build from our friends over at Cobalt SS (dot) net:

http:// www.*************/ forums/ how-guide-43/ how-beck%C2%92s-2-4l-supercharged-build-walkthrough-80620/

REPLACE THE **** with cobaltss (dot) net and remove the spaces between the / forward brackets in the URL

This is the thread where I got the wiring diagram for a 4-pin LSJ TMAP sensor pigtail split into the OEM 3-pin MAP connector, and the 4th temperature wire to the IAT sensor.
I'm trying to confirm if following his logic will work... since I don't have an IAT but rather only a MAF that reads temp, maybe splitting that 4th wire from the TMAP to the temp wire of my MAF could be an option to allow communication with my PCM.

Appreciate any thoughts/insight you may have!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: Did further research. Since I'm tuning it with a friend who has experience, we decided to go with the stock 4-pin LSJ 2.5 bar TMAP sensor that goes on the top-right corner of the LSJ Manifold (from driver seat perspective).

We will be wiring the 3 Pressure wires to my OEM harness which has the 3 MAP wires, one-to-one. The 4th wire from the TMAP (temp sensor) will go to my MAF in my cold air intake. This will override the MAF temp reading, since that is the only thing that communicates temperature to my ECU (no IAT, integrated into my MAF).

We will have to ADJUST THE TUNE accordingly, since the MAF sensor is the primary sensor on my OEM tune; and the new TMAP sensor in the LSJ manifold will need to be my new PRIMARY sensor.

More to follow... installation day is under a month away now! (2 days for parts, 2 days for tune). Still intending to post a mega how-to thread on all the wiring, and parts install I did for those who are curious :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6 months, later, still running strong!

Just to follow-up on this whole situation for others who may have been curious. I ended up doing the following for the wiring on my 2007 L61 supercharged build:

- Used stock LSJ TMAP sensor from ZZP
- Bought a 4-wire pigtail from Bosch Performance
- Wired my 3 OEM MAP wires to their respective wires on the TMAP
- I wired the 4th TMAP Temperature wire from the 4-pin pigtail to my stock MAF harness (Soldered to my ZZP MAF extension wire) so the MAF reading that my ECM receives is from the TMAP in my manifold (after the blower compresses it and heats it up) instead of from my MAF in my CAI. I told ZZP this is what I was doing, they adjusted the tune accordingly for me. Works great! Runs perfect, no codes still (6 months in)

I would upload links and images but I am a noob with only 6 posts (now 7) so the new forum rules prevent me from doing so. Message me for links if anyone is curious, I would be glad to help. I uploaded new photos in MyGarage if anyone wants to see the build results! Very fun daily driver now and was a very fun project :laugh:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
very nice how you did all that -

wish I had someone to do mine !!!!

interior details are nice too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Still have to wait

Glad you got it working. To bad you can't post pics for all to see. If you have them uploaded somewhere, PM me the links and I will post them up.
I can only send private messaged to staff until I reach 15 posts. Once I reach that, I will send you links to the images I have, and the websites I used! Thank you for offering to do so, will help complete this thread for others who are interested in how to get around this (fairly critical) issue for fellow L61 guys who want to supercharge.
Time to post on other threads to reach that magical count :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very nice how you did all that -

wish I had someone to do mine !!!!

interior details are nice too
Thank you 1Redline! I have a local guy from Windsor, Ontario who can do hydrodipping, so I got a few interior pieces done with a Carbon Fibre pattern. Did a few pieces myself in plain yellow (all rattle can) 3x coats of primer, 3x coats of yellow, and 5x coats of clear. All holding up great still

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on this,

I uploaded a how-to on how to supercharge a 2.2L L61 on YouTube. Have gotten tonnes of good e-mails and messages from folks. Link here is for part 2, part 1 has a detailed parts walk-through of what is needed:

All the electrical is explained more in part 1, but part 2 has the final results.

Enjoy! Been a fun project. Currently running a 2.9" pulley on 60# injectors. Making approx. 16psi according to mechanical gauge and HP Tuners.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
checked the video

engine looks good

and sounds good on the road

1 - 11 of 11 Posts