Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was removing the cv axle on the passenger side of my 04 redline and the cv joint is stuck in the intermediate shaft that goes into the tranny. I removed the whole intermediate shaft and the cv joint will not come so I'm gonna have to order a new intermediate shaft. I uploaded the link/pic that shows the part. It's part #1. I called the dealer and GM discontinued the part. I tried to order on gm wholesale parts online and they refunded me saying they don't have the part it is discontinued. I have tried local junkyards and no luck. I NEED this part quick. It is my daily driver.

** it wont let me upload the link to the image. If you search Ion redline intermeidate shaft it is the link for gm wholesale parts and its part #1

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I was removing the cv axle on the passenger side of my 04 redline and the cv joint is stuck in the intermediate shaft that goes into the tranny. I removed the whole intermediate shaft and the cv joint will not come so I'm gonna have to order a new intermediate shaft. I uploaded the link/pic that shows the part. It's part #1. I called the dealer and GM discontinued the part. I tried to order on gm wholesale parts online and they refunded me saying they don't have the part it is discontinued. I have tried local junkyards and no luck. I NEED this part quick. It is my daily driver.

** it wont let me upload the link to the image. If you search Ion redline intermeidate shaft it is the link for gm wholesale parts and its part #1

I have purchased some parts through GM affiliated sites online and I have had them refund me as well.

It took me some time but after searching GM dealerships and websites I came across some that had my part.

It took a long time and I almost gave up but one dealership or GM parts place somewhere out there might have the part.

Probably not good if you need the part now though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you haven't damaged the intermediate shaft yet, you may try a good long soak in PB Blaster and then take it to a local machine shop. They have more tools for the job. Good presses and such.

I recently went through having mine stuck together on a clutch swap. I never got mine separated, but then I was just doing an R&R.

If all you're doing is replacing the CV axle, you could just dismantle it and see if there's a way to fill the void between the splines with PB and see if that will let the inboard CV splines come loose.

Good luck OP. Be gentle with the intermediate shaft, it is very easy to damage.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I had same issue replacing axle seals and axles. I took the whole thing out like you. Dismantled the axle so just the bell was hanging on the shaft. Sprayed pb blast on the joint a few times let it soak fer 30min sprayed again then holding the shaft with the bell down I hit it with a sledge sponging it as you hit to work all sides. Took about 10 minutes with rest in between cause my arm was dead before it finally came off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips. I will continue to try to knock it out of there and look for the new intermediate shaft in the meantime. If anyone happens to notice any for sale anywhere let me know in this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts