Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to probably be some basic stuff for you guys and most likely discussed a million times but im looking for some straight answers on upgrading my stock RL to a stage 2.
-My question is if i upgrade the injectors, pulley, and belt, is the only thing left ill need is a good tune?
-And if i want to use 60# injectors what is a good pulley size to pair it with?
-Can a dealership do the tune after all parts are installed? or do i need someone with hptuners to do it?

Any other helpful information would be awesome! Im pretty new to my Redline and i have it in storage and wanted to get it running really well for this summer. Thanks for all responses and direction given.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
This is not the most popular suggestion but based on my experience you would be best served by buying a genuine GM stage 2 kit from CED and going from there

All the patch and paste bits deals with various states of tunes from various tuners good and bad are hit and miss....check out CED and then all the alternative advice your gonna get from here.

ZZP do a cheaper version of the GM stage 2 tune, but I would advise you to get it installed by them that way you can be sure of a good robust stage 2 non OEM version.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Since you are most likely out of warranty, the GM Stage 2 might not be the best option. The plus side of the GM Stage 2 kit is that you can just take it to a dealer and have them flash the tune on it (or even have them install the whole thing).

As qwick mentioned, ZZP offers stage kits similar to GM's stage kits. The mail order tunes aren't the best, but they can to a good custom tune. If you aren't close to them, you'd probably want to have someone with HP tuners do a custom tune. Plus, the ZZP stage kits have a few more options (you can include a heat exchanger and/or a dual-pass endplate).

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
other than a flashed GM OEM tune, you need to understand that local tuner tunes need a dyno and a wide band, to say nothing of a good tuner, few and far between.

GM stage 2 is a 100,000 mile durability deal and over the years GM has updated and enhanced the stage kit.

GM has way more parameters to play with than an hpt local...

ps. mail order tunes fail.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wait, gm has updated the stage tunes? Does that mean I can get it updated for free with the proper paperwork? The original owner left it in the car with the manual and it has a authorization code.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
GM "updated" the Stage 2 kits by lowering the rev limiter back to 6500. Which is good because just like the stock setup, the GMS2 injectors will get maxed out on the GMS2 pulley.

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/tuning-electronics/47870-stock-injectors-stock-pulley-stock-tune-2.html#post939193

To answer the OPs questions...

1. Yes. Cooling mods are also important. ie Dual pass endplate, Phenolic IM Spacer, Option B. ect.
2. You can run pretty much any size pulley on 60# injectors. A 2.8" is very common.
3. The dealership can only do the tune if you buy a genuine GMS2 kit from CED as qwikredline11 suggest. Any other option will require a stage kit (canned tune) or a local tuner/tuner shop.

·
Registered
879 Posts
GM "updated" the Stage 2 kits by lowering the rev limiter back to 6500. Which is good because just like the stock setup, the GMS2 injectors will get maxed out on the GMS2 pulley.
Eric, so I guess the Stage 2 tune I recently had flashed by the GM dealer is the one with the unchanged redline? Other than running it until it hits the rev-limiter, is there any other way to tell what it is set at?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Wait, gm has updated the stage tunes? Does that mean I can get it updated for free with the proper paperwork? The original owner left it in the car with the manual and it has a authorization code.
No. And Eric , GM updated a whole lot more than the rev limit. Fact is is there is no real way you can figure out all that GM does with their tunes, as HPT does not have access to all the files that GM use to perfect a tune...

·
Registered
811 Posts
That sucks in a way about the reflash being updated for 6500 RPM. Wonder why, too many cobalt kids blowing them up under warranty with the 7000 RPM limit? So how can you tell now if the dealer even flashed the car right?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
the M62 checks out for lunch break at 6800 rpm. Its out of its efficiency range. The only real reason to rev more is to run over the effective power curve to run through the traps at the strip in third and save a shift. Most folks dont drag race, and running the car that high in revs is a total waste of time on the road race track.

M62 is not a TVS and I think it makes sense to limit the car to 6500. Its all u really need at most, and many folks dont need that rev range at all.

so.

the financial misfortune folks run into beating the crap out of their cars is evident on the forums. Get smart, spend money wisely, and enjoy good reliable performance.
GM stage 2 makes good sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts