Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with all this talk about "My SRT-4 can beat your Redline/WRX/ whatever," I have to give you guys something else to yap about. I work for Saturn of Green Brook in NJ, we built this Turbo Ion. It has the new Saturn Motorsports intercooled turbo kit, that bolts right on (at the dealership) and had been tested at 250HP, along with all the suspension components to put the power to the ground. It also has a body kit, spoiler, Thermal Research and Development exhaust, Plasma Booster, 18" Icon wheels, carbon fiber hood, and a full Alpine system w/ in dash TV. The car has been performing flawlessly sine the install, and can easily handle more power, but we have to keep it carb-legal. It's been hitting the show circuit, and local events in NJ. If you think the Redline is too mild for you, check this car out, you think this will run with an SRT-4?
For more pics check out cardomain.com http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/573542

Attachments

·
Banned
177 Posts
It's not carb legal and never will be. "carb" stands for California Air Resources Board" and it would have to be issued an Executive Order to be legal for use on public Highways in the State of California. The system at my last count failed the test twice now for one reason or another and is not legal for street use in the state of California.

250 HP is a total crock. There is yet to have one single dyno sheet posted on the internet or real word from anyone that it makes that kind of power. Besides the other kit that's on a vehicle can't get out of mid 16's in the 1/4 mile.

I don't want to sound like an ass or anything, but if it works then great 200 HP to the crank. No need to get all crazy about it, but someone needs to get on the horn with the guy in texas and get his car working like it's supposed to because $4500 for a 16 second car is a joke.

Seriously the care looks AWESOME . I'm an Alpine fan all the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About turbo kit

Saturn Motorsports has shown us the dyno figures, so that is what we advertise. I would, however like to run this thing on the dyno and see for myself. I will guarantee you that this is no mid-16 second car, though. I plan on running this car down the track before the summer is up. I don't understand why that other guy's car is running that slow. CARB legal? Well, we're not allowed to sell a car off the lot if it doesn't pass NJ inspection, and this car will. If that doesn't qualify it to be CARB legal, that "woops" sorry for the misuse of the "acronym".
Off the record, I expected a 250hp Ion to drive a little different that this car, but I've never driven a 250hp Ion before, so I'll just wait till we dyno this one to comment any further.
Besides that thanks for the comments, the car will be at all the big show's at Raceway Park in NJ this season, so anyone in the area, stop but and check it out.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
although the kit may be putting out 250hp, dont assume it can easily handle much more. gm pushed the 2.2 eco to about 275 and things started to break, i believe the rods

i'll take my 2.0 s/c, throw on a smaller pulley, hope someone re-tunes the ecu for higher rev limit/ air fuel mapping, throw on an intake, header back exhaust and i'll be running with the SRT's for sure.

of course this is all subject to someone being able to get factory support to retune the cpu

·
Registered
197 Posts
go ahead and get a smaller pulley and lose power. All a smaller pulley is going to do for you is create problems. You need to understand that if you do that everything is going to heat up alot faster and then things aren't going to work the way they are suppose to and that supercharger isn't going to put out much more power anyways you would probably have to get a the bigger sc and then you would have to do work to get everything setup to work properly together and I think that is all a waste of time. IMO a smaller pulley is a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Redline_Driver said:
go ahead and get a smaller pulley and lose power. All a smaller pulley is going to do for you is create problems. You need to understand that if you do that everything is going to heat up alot faster and then things aren't going to work the way they are suppose to and that supercharger isn't going to put out much more power anyways you would probably have to get a the bigger sc and then you would have to do work to get everything setup to work properly together and I think that is all a waste of time. IMO a smaller pulley is a bad idea.
way to go dipshit for brining up an old thread, since you more than likeley got the info from where i did you would have seen that i have been in discussions regarding this fact. i posted this three months ago, more than likely days after i got the car and didn't know exactly how far the blower was being pushed...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Didn't realize this was an old thread until after I submitted but you don't have to get your panties all up in a bunch all I was trying to do is help. some people need to quit thinking that they are the center of the universe. and no I got that info on my own because half the stuff people post is just opinion and not fact just like my post is my opinion so i am sorry if you didn't want my help but you don't have to be a jerk about it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Redline_Driver said:
Didn't realize this was an old thread until after I submitted but you don't have to get your panties all up in a bunch all I was trying to do is help. some people need to quit thinking that they are the center of the universe. and no I got that info on my own because half the stuff people post is just opinion and not fact just like my post is my opinion so i am sorry if you didn't want my help but you don't have to be a jerk about it.

first off, i never said anything to imply that i am the center of the universe, and you've lost any credibility with me since you claim to have beat a BMW M3 in a "real" race :rolleyes:

our cars might be fast, but don't try and make it out to be something its not

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i apolagise, didn't mean to come off as an ass, just had a rough morning

·
Registered
187 Posts
where did the carbon fiber hood come from, and are the hoods the same from the standard ion to the redline???

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
paintedblack said:
where did the carbon fiber hood come from, and are the hoods the same from the standard ion to the redline???
the QC, yes (quad coupe)

·
Registered
105 Posts
The QC and RL hoods are not exactly the same. There is about a 2 " gap btween the front fascia and the hood on a QC. There is no gap on the RL! :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Howsitgoing said:
The QC and RL hoods are not exactly the same. There is about a 2 " gap btween the front fascia and the hood on a QC. There is no gap on the RL! :D
The Hoods are the same. It's the front bumper that's different.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is the benefit of carbon fiber weight?? about how much difference is there in the weight of the two hoods? what do you really gain from a carbon fiber hood??

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
absolutely nothing, in my opinion, unless you are out to really gut your car and make it weigh completely nothing.

a carbon fiber hood barely does anything for performance unless weight reduction is your "theme".

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
absolutely nothing, in my opinion, unless you are out to really gut your car and make it weigh completely nothing.

a carbon fiber hood barely does anything for performance unless weight reduction is your "theme".

LOL!!!!

"theme" :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Purely for looks, I think a red laced carbon fiber hood would look really nice on a black RL, lower it, get some redlaced carbon fiber door pillars to cover the flat black plastic ones and maybe swap out the side view mirror housings too. Some black wheels with a polished lip and a "conservative" wing. And maybe, just maybe, some red vinyl down the sides. I also figured the seat inserts would've been red vs. blue simply for the RedLine "theme". Oh yeah and possibly some red glow in various interior and exterior places.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts