Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Brother, let me begin by saying that I finally understand what you are saying pertaining to HID glare in a standard halogen housing. My wife's car was in the shop for paint repairs (vandalism) so she drove me to work and picked me up. I'm a swing shift worker so pickups were at midnight typically. Well I've been driving with Ebay HID's for nearly 2 years now. I thought they were great and practically pushed your article off to the side. I wasn't gonna comment negatively since I was happy with my HID's and I thought that was all that matters. Well on the giving end, I can see for days; practically in to the future. But the other night the wife drove me to work and I asked for a pick up when I was done. So the wife came back to get me. I have to admit that I was impressed (at first) when I could see down the road and know that was my car coming (I could recognize the white light and the headlight pattern). But as my wife got closer (which was nearly a quarter mile away) I had to cover my eyes because the glare was so intense that it irritated me. I was standing on the side of the road in the middle of the night hiding my eyes from my own head lamps! Now I was on the receiving end of these lights. It turned out that I was misdirected on my lights and had them aimed too high, but that's beside the point. They still can be a nuisance at night. I brought them down, but I doubt that hardly takes away from the fact that they are too intense (no pun intended). I'm gonna keep them on for now and make sure they remain lower than normal so as not to irritate other drivers, but I would love for someone to make a projector version for us now! I'd be number 1 on the list to swap out my halogen housing replacement HID's for projector style HID's.

With this said, I have to say that your article here makes perfect sense and I look forward to making this better for other drivers when I can afford to pay someone to make me a projector-style set of lights.

·
Registered
308 Posts
GREAT INFO. This is what has kept me from swapping to HID's without a retrofit. However i'm always battling with myself because I hate how dim I feel the stock lights to be. Any suggestions on what brand of halogen may offer the best output? there were threads and debates on this years ago but I can't find them anywhere.
I have Silverstar's in my car and they're great. They're brighter than OEM bulbs and they are a pure white color, close to daylight

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Still not NEARLY as white or bright as my lights. I can guarantee that. The simple fact is aftermarket kits tend to scatter light so much so as to make them more of a nuisance than a benefit. So I see Omega's point. In a different thread I almost disregarded his input simply because he was coming across real cocky and rude. But I cun understand his frustration when everyone with the aftermarket kits were trying to tell him there was nothing wrong with what they were using. I still say I like my light pattern but would feel like I'm looking out for the other guy as well if I were to upgrade to a projector style retrofit.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i took pic of my "light pattern" with hid on

both with my camera on default setting "for night shot" without flash

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
That's the RL? With projectors or stock housing?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I mean with a projector retrofit or standard bulbs? If they're projector and how and how much?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
How did you get such a solid cutoff on the light level? I mean mine look pretty decent against a wall and such, but you have a solis line practically.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I dont think the projector housings make that much of a difference I've been blinded so many times by bmw's, audi's, mercedes, that all have stock projector housings. The road has to be completely flat for the "cut off" to work. Everytime there is a car with Hids behind me they always blind me because they hit little bumps and the headlights shoot right up in my rearview mirror. I know its better than having them in a reflector housing... but still. Anybody else feel the same way?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I dont think the projector housings make that much of a difference I've been blinded so many times by bmw's, audi's, mercedes, that all have stock projector housings. The road has to be completely flat for the "cut off" to work. Everytime there is a car with Hids behind me they always blind me because they hit little bumps and the headlights shoot right up in my rearview mirror. I know its better than having them in a reflector housing... but still. Anybody else feel the same way?
yea, i know what you mean. The same thing happens to me. Usually it looks they have their lights aimed as high as they can with the line just below their hood line, which makes the light hit your mirrors when they hit little bumps. I know that the Toyota Prius has HIDs and they have reflector housings and they can flash your mirrors, too. So I guess it doesn't really matter if they have OEM projector housings or OEM reflector housings, there are flaws with both

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was just looking for an HID kit the other day. Glad I came across this thread. I may just swap in some Silverstars.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It's good info. I do agree though I do find myself sheilding my eyes even when approached by an OEM HID setup. I do know one of the things I hate in day to day driving is people bright lighting me.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It's good info. I do agree though I do find myself sheilding my eyes even when approached by an OEM HID setup. I do know one of the things I hate in day to day driving is people bright lighting me.
Yup.
To combat that, I've been recently suggesting that people lower the cut off on the driver side. It gives a bit more room for error when on bumpy or wavy roads.

·
Registered
651 Posts
A blinged out Crown Vic today made me think about this thread. He was driving in day light with his HIDs (PnP type not projector) on and I looked at them. It actually left the little blacked out spots in my vision.

·
Registered
519 Posts
our ²stock housing can handles HID way better than alot of other makes/models

² by stock housing i mean still chrome inside

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
our stock housing can handles HID way better than alot of other makes/models
Maybe explain your reasoning.
From my stand point, scattered light is scattered light. There is no middle ground when it comes to glare.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts