Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shift knob came off 2-3 times in the morning and on the way to the dealer the knob came off agian but this time the shift boot, both springs, and some plastic piece came flying off with it. Well, on the bright side me and my girlfriend figured out how to eliminate the reverse shift lock. When we got to the dealer, I walked into the service managers office with the shift knob/boot/springs/plastic pieces. He came out to my car and attempted to put it together, after about 10 minutes he said " leave it here " but since we didnt have another car we had to go home and grab my gf's car (Marshie.) Instead of going back to the dealer I decide to attempt to put it back on and about 5 minutes I say " **** IT! " my gf is sitting right next to me and pulls it out of my hand and figures it out and puts it all back together in less than a minute. I had to share..So the moral of the story is my Gf kicks ass. Thank you and come agian! :D

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I will be bringing it back to the dealer sometime soon to see what they have to say about my broken shift knob.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
That is Frigin Hilarious. me and Colin were talking about the little part today that has the numbers on it coming off all the time. And tonight on my way out the whole damn knob came off. With some assertion I put it back on. But man I can belive it happened to someone else on the same day no less. Odd part is now that I put it back together it wont come back off like its ok again. Im going in for a few things tomorrow like the intercooler pump polarity and my free oil change. SO that they will see as well. Dang dude that thing you can stand on the console with your ass out of the sunroof and it wont pop back off. How did it happen Im still trying to figure out.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well that makes 3 members that have had the knob come off that i'm aware of. Me, RedlineKid, and goofyguy. I looked at the design of the knob and shifter assembly and it's a horrible design. I dont know who they hired to design it but it must of been some kindergarten kids with crayons! I've never seen such a shitty design with a shift knob and rod. You see it's real simple on how to make a sturdy shift knob. Just have thread's on the rod and use hard plastic inside the knob! problem solved!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
it looks pressed on and if they would have jumped in there with a weld it would be done. Perhaps this is a chance to get something a little more comfy.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no weld! shift knob and weld = a no no. Shift knob + treaded shifter rod would of been the simple easy solution..

·
Registered
764 Posts
The little plastic piece with the numbers on it has been coming off of mine alot recently. I just used a little crazy glue and it seems to be staying on fine now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same exact thing started happenin to me. came off twice., i just slam it back on and its seems fine. but im still gonna take it to the dealer.

·
Banned
572 Posts
that happened to me the shifter just flew off i put some super glue on it its fine now but still going to dealer. just to far away..................................

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine came off a little while back. When I took it in the dealer ordered a new knob but then could not figure out how to get the new one on either. So, to make a long story short they chose to replace the whole shifter and its been fine since.

·
Registered
252 Posts
the little plastic number pieces comes off on mine, I'll probably replace the entire piece later this year.

·
Registered
674 Posts
This just happened to me the other day. The whole knob and spring underneath came off going into second (a hard second :rolleyes: ). I thought my arm was going to come right out of it's socket. I looked at it and the knob appears to be seated on the splines on the rod and must just be pressed on. I just put some JB weld on the splines and pressed the knob back on. No problems since.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My wife did it the first time, I thought she broke the damn thing the way she was carring on about it. It has happened 3 times to me since.....I just took a soft head mallet and tapped it back on (Hard)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Man, and I thought people were just shifting too hard... this just sold me the B&M shifter!

·
Registered
80 Posts
My wife's came off on a 2-3 [email protected] the track Sat. too! wrapped the top of the stick with duct tape,and beat it back on, she made 12 more :eek: passes, no prob. We will be ordering thee B&M short shifter tonight!

·
Registered
272 Posts
same thing happened to me...i posted about it awhile back...it sucked...first time i got pissed off at the dealership for there way of handling the situation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i did not know of a b&m shifter for our cars was released???????????????

Will it loose the reverse lock out?

What is the part # for it?

I know there is one for the 2.2L ion

1 - 20 of 78 Posts