Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I knew that the oil change was going to be a little different on the Redline, from what I've read here. What I didn't know is HOW different it was. Yes, I know it's the same process, change the oil, replace the filter, but I gotta say, that filter location blew my mind. The first thing that tipped me off was looking at the filter at the auto parts store. I know something was up at that point. I spent an hour showing it to people and making them guess what it was. So then I set out to locate the filter housing. I'm assuming it is the little round black cap that is in front of the car, next to the integrated oil cooler, and sllightly off center towards the drivers sides. I say assume, because after staring at it for a few min, then making a quick list of all the other things that needed done around the house, I just shut the hood and rotated my tires instead! I'm gonna have a crack at it tonight. It didn't look hard or anything, I just wasn't up for a 'learning experience' at that point. Decided to come back and read about the oil changes you guys went through before I wanted to do it myself!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It isn't that bad. Just need a long extention. and that little overflow bottle in the front with the orange coolent in it I had to remove the screws on it to get enough room to pull out the filter and cap. It really isn't that bad looks worse than what it is.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's one reason I bought the bumper-to-bumper full service (incl all fluids) 60K mi/5 yr plan. When I had my oil changed, Saturn charged itself $90.38:

The change itself (labor): $31.84
6 qts Mobil-1: 45.12
1 (more) qt Mobil-1: 7.52

With the dealer incentives (plus the GM-supplier discount) the cost of the service package came to about $750. It could pay for itself in just oil changes in well under three years... at Saturn's prices anyway ;)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JPK said:
Check your PM's
Hey thanks bro, if you get a call around 6:30 Central, and the message is 'Hey, there's some raving lunatic on the phone, yelling about European-style oil filters...' thats me! I should be all good, just one of those 'Not what I expected to see' sort of events.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Hey thanks bro, if you get a call around 6:30 Central, and the message is 'Hey, there's some raving lunatic on the phone, yelling about European-style oil filters...' thats me! I should be all good, just one of those 'Not what I expected to see' sort of events.
No problem, man. The first time you have a slight learning curve, but once you know how to do it, it's cake.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yea first time was a bit tricky but second time was about the quickest oil change i had done in a while.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too damn lazy to go out there! Actually I keep having to go somewhere, never get a chance for the car to cool down enough. Since it was like 75 here today, I was checking out how the tires grip in warm weather. I like it alot more! You can actually get the tires to squeel instead of spinning like crazy with zero traction. This is like the first time that I've got to really launch the car, and had the tires give me grip from 1st gear through... I've been so used to feathering the gas through all of first and part of second, that I stopped even trying to floor it until out of first! :) < was my reaction for the last 2 days now...

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a Saturn Tech, I say screw the RL oil changes and let the Lube Techs sake care of them.... LMAO! But the Saturn Care pack is the way to go when buying your RL. It still can cost you $50 every oil change at 5-8K miles. Use the oil change life light to the max. It has a sensor that measures the good diodes of the oil, so it may last longer than you think.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
More than that Saturn of Dayton South Charges $108. I have the 5 year Service Plan so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
IronMan19K1O said:
As a Saturn Tech, I say screw the RL oil changes and let the Lube Techs sake care of them.... LMAO! But the Saturn Care pack is the way to go when buying your RL. It still can cost you $50 every oil change at 5-8K miles. Use the oil change life light to the max. It has a sensor that measures the good diodes of the oil, so it may last longer than you think.
Dude, it's not hard to do at all and if you didn't get the care package you save an assload of money over time doing it yourself.

·
Registered
754 Posts
IronMan19K1O said:
I bring my own oil and saturn charges me $21 to change it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
JPK said:
Dude, it's not hard to do at all and if you didn't get the care package you save an assload of money over time doing it yourself.
OK let me explain my post. I am a Saturn Tech. An oilchange regaurdless if it is a RL or not pays me .4 hrs. It takes longer than what it pays for. And yes, I bought the Saturn Package!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
IronMan19K1O said:
Use the oil change life light to the max. It has a sensor that measures the good diodes of the oil, so it may last longer than you think.
I think you're the first Saturn tech on here that says to trust the oil life monitor. This is what I'm doing for now up until 5k (not going to change every 3k for now...) But you say it measures diodes in the oil? I thought it calculates the life by how the engine is used without actually testing the oil. I'm probably long, but could you clear up how the monitor works exactly?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I've seen a few posts on here about oil changes and am ready to learn how to do it (to damn lazy to drive to the other side of the city to get Saturn to, as I would pay full price for them to do it). Frankly I am also a little to lazy to search through all the results on the search of oil changes. I just want an explantion on how to do it in lamans (spelling?) terms. I know techniqual terms, its just easier if its in normal english so I can't get confused (short attention span). Again I am sorry if this is posted else where.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with crank revolutions of guestimated oil life. I test it with a sensor . Not clear on exact details but I do know from experiance that it goes off at different mileages. Me personally, I wouldn't trust it on something you would drive the dog shit out of everyday.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO??????

Originally Posted by General Motors Corp.
DETROIT (April 22, 2003) - With the explosion in information technology especially available through the Internet, it is easy to find advice on almost any subject. Vehicle maintenance is one subject that gets significant attention, and determining when to change engine oil is commonly discussed.

Use of the GM Oil Life System will often double or even triple the oil change interval for a typical vehicle when compared to the 3000-mile oil change.
The typical recommendation made is to change every 3000 miles, which is a conservative approach that is typically accepted as the industry standard by those who sell oil changes for a living. Their common rationale is that frequent oil changes are "cheap insurance" for extending engine life. $20 to $30 spent for an oil change might be considered cheap, but this can amount to hundreds of dollars spent over the life of the vehicle with no benefit realized. To gain the best value from the cost of an oil change, the mileage between changes should be maximized as long as there is no adverse effect to the engine. Not only does this approach save money, but it also helps to protect the environment due to the reduced consumption and disposal of used oil.

In keeping with its commitment to sustainable mobility, General Motors now installs its award-winning Oil Life System on nearly all new North American vehicles.

Giving consumers an accurate and reliable way to monitor engine oil life will help reduce America's appetite for oil, protect the environment and save consumers money while still ensuring that engines are properly maintained. The GM Oil Life System provides a win-win solution to the difficult issue of engine oil changes. This is just one of many advanced technologies that GM uses to help reduce pollution and conserve natural resources

After many years of research, GM has learned how to maximize oil drain intervals while also maintaining engine life. Researchers learned that oil degrades in a predictable fashion and that monitoring a few engine-operating conditions allows oil life to be determined quite accurately. Specifically, the engine computer monitors engine speed to count combustion events while also estimating oil temperature based other engine operating conditions. From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies when to change oil. This software based GM Oil Life System is part of the same computer that also helps to control engine functions and is now available on most GM vehicles. With this system, the guesswork of knowing when to change oil is removed.

Engine oil lasts longest at operating temperatures of about 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
As the graph at right demonstrates, the mileage between oil changes is very dependent on the temperature of the engine.

Oil life can be maximized if its temperature is maintained around 200 degrees F. Highway driving exemplifies this type of operating condition. Conversely, when an engine is started cold, contaminants from the engine combustion such as water and fuel can enter the oil. If the engine is not allowed to warm up, contamination can build up in the oil, which results in reduced mileage between oil changes. Finally, trailer towing in a warm climate can increase engine oil temperature, which will also reduce oil life.

Most vehicles are typically operated under a variety of conditions. As a result, use of the GM Oil Life System will often double or even triple the oil change interval for a typical vehicle when compared to the 3000-mile oil change. The GM Oil life system keeps track of the various operating conditions of the vehicle and adjusts the mileage between oil changes respectively. With this, there is no longer any need to guess at when to change oil. Consumers can be confident that they aren't damaging the engine by running bad oil, nor will they be wasting time, money and resources by changing oil that has a lot of useful life remaining.

Since 1995, GM has produced more than 18 million vehicles with the Oil Life System. Together, these vehicles had the potential saving 70 million gallons of oil to date if the system was used as intended. That is more than six times the amount of oil spilled by the Exxon Valdez. Likewise, it is estimated that consumers could have saved more than $1 billion in service costs by avoiding unnecessary oil changes. The social benefit of the GM Oil Life System was recognized when GM received a first-ever Environmental Excellence in Transportation (E2T) Award from the Society of Automotive Engineers in 2001.

It is recognized that used engine oil is a significant environmental problem if not properly managed. The GM Oil Life System helps to reduce oil change frequency, thereby helping to preserve valuable petroleum resources and reducing the amount of used oil that requires oil disposal. It is important to remember that GM dealerships follow environmentally sound practices when disposing of used oil. By having your vehicle serviced at a GM Goodwrench dealership, any adverse environmental impact can be minimized.

Although GM uses this system in nearly all cars that it produces, there are still some vehicles without the system. In these vehicles, oil change intervals are still based on a two-schedule system. Drivers making lots of short trips around town or towing trailers should change their oil every 3,000 miles while those making relatively long cruising trips should be on a 7,500-mile interval. Since most drivers do some combination of both styles of driving, the guidelines are far from precise. In fact, because these guidelines are intentionally conservative, a lot of oil is being drained before its useful life has ended.

NOTE: The Oil Life System will be available on all light-duty North American GM cars except for some models of Buick Park Avenue and Le Sabre, Pontiac Bonneville and Sunfire/Sunbird, Chevrolet Geo, Tracker, Cavalier and Malibu, S10/Sonoma trucks, and Astro/Safari Vans

·
Registered
754 Posts
I believe the oil will last more than 3000 miles but why not just change to filter at 3000 miles then the oil at 5000.The mobil 1 that I buy is supposed to be good for 15000 miles so if I change it at 5000 miles and the filter at 2500 to 3000 miles I should be in good shape.

·
Registered
44 Posts
He sure can copy and paste pretty good.....
"From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies when to change oil."
That's it in a nut shell. Spoon, thanks again for being the smartass.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts