Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower do our internals take? I wanna know if we can finally get an answer on this, this expecially is a question for you techs. Isn't there a way to look up the number of the rods and crank and then research into who makes it and what it CAN handle. I have not seen this on any thread and I've searched. I'd like to make this the official thread with the CORRECT information.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Keep looking, I've seen documents from GM Performance that outlined a pretty extensive test routine.

The stock rods failed in the 350-400 hp range, but that was after 500 hours of simulated wide open throttle. The rest of the internals were breaking in the 700hp range.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
by stock rods those are the performance one GM claims to be stuffed inside our motor? That thread shows the stock ecotec rods all broke at like 280.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
goofyguy said:
by stock rods those are the performance one GM claims to be stuffed inside our motor? That thread shows the stock ecotec rods all broke at like 280.
I hope not. Some of us will be approaching 280 pretty quickly with Psi-Fi kit (18psi), header (if it ever gets here) and intake.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Yeah so we will soon see if GM made this motor like they claim or if its built to max as it sits right now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
D3XXFR...just curious on how you say your RL is putting down 210 whp when the car is rated at 205 bhp and you claim stock, ie..no mods? Am I missing something? Not to be picky or anything, I want to cash in on the braggging rights if it is dyno proven.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
205 is dyno to the wheels proven many times by differnt members. So 240 at the crank is about what we should have stock.

On another note from Chevys site

2.0L ECOTEC Supercharged EngineThe all-aluminum dual overhead cam, 2.0L ECOTEC Supercharged four-cylinder engine is built off the strengths of the original, naturally aspirated 2.2L ECOTEC engine.The 2.0L Supercharged engine has a four-valve cylinder head, maintenance-free chain-driven camshafts, counter-rotating balance shafts and an integrated oil cooler.The Eaton M62 supercharger spins at a low rpm, which improves durability and creates less noise while allowing for plenty of top-end power. Power delivery of the supercharged engine is instantaneous. Maximum boost of the supercharger is 12 psi.Also included on this engine:
  • A direct-mount oil cooler.
  • Oil jets for piston cooling.
  • Heavy-duty pistons.
  • Strong connecting rods.
  • Forged-steel crankshaft.
  • Large oil pump.
  • Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved durability.
  • A high-strength aluminum cylinder head.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cool, thanks for the lesson. I will admit I haven't done ALL of my research yet, but thanks to you experts, I be spun up in no time. And yes, I am serious about the comment. A lot of you have given me a lot good info and others...a good laugh.

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Unfortunately, that's not the article I thought it was, there's another one out there about the 2.0 I think. Keep in mind that was before the Redline was built and it was starting from a stock 2.2. Like goofy listed, one of the things that the 2.0 got was stronger rods. If you read that artice, it seems like you can infer where some of the durability considerations built into our engine likely came from. Some of those first components that failed are supposedly higher strength in ours. I would assume that the rods, crank, valves, and pistons are not the same as the 2.2, which failed at 280 hp. None of those internals were forged or steel, I don't think.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
On another note are the Rods the same as the GM performance catalog parts. Those are in the catalog starting at 500+hp then there are differnt ones up to 1000hp. I hope we can take 400 because Im going to get there one way or another.

·
Registered
104 Posts
SilverBulletRL said:
Weasel, take a look at my dyno. That was done when I was 100% stock. There are a lot of us here putting down 210whp.

www.cs-servers.com/ion/dyno1.jpg
Like I said, I want in on the braggin' rights. But I like to make sure of the facts before I start runnin' off at the mouth like some others have (like ..oh, I don't know...mammoth maybe?). Y'all tell me 210 at the wheels, and got the proof (not that I need to see it) and I'll believe you. Just as long as I know where to go to get the proof if I get challenged. It's not in my budget to afford dyno time, not to mention less than 700 miles on the odometer, so I have to rely on you all for support. And that is why I'm glad to be a member of this forum. That's ok, isn't it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
PS, thanks for posting the dyno slip. I figure if you took the time to post it for me, the least I could do is look at it. Killer!!! One question though: what happened between the first and second run that produced the significant drop?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Awesome. Yeah man I didn't mean to be an ass in any way. Glad to have you on the forum :)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
heat soak is my best guess. Without air moving over the intercooler unit the heat will build without anywhere to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a difference between being schooled and being educated....I'm being educated...no offense taken. And thanks, it's great to be part of such a informative and at times mystifying (goofyguy) forum.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHOA if our internals can handle 500+ stock I'd be more then happy :) but like someone said its most likely around 300-350 range.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts