Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Horn Installation

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Grumppz2007ION SCRedLine 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I need a little advice...I'm installing a new horn in my car (don't ask). And since the horn is going to be mounted in under the hood, i'd rather not the wire all the way to the trunk then back again to the switch im mounting. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where i can tap into a 12v line in the front? Possibly radio etc. All details would be really helpful. THanks

#2 · (Edited)
louballs said:
Hey guys,
I need a little advice...I'm installing a new horn in my car (don't ask). And since the horn is going to be mounted in under the hood, i'd rather not the wire all the way to the trunk then back again to the switch im mounting. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where i can tap into a 12v line in the front? Possibly radio etc. All details would be really helpful. THanks
I'm no electrical expert (haha) , but have you tried the UHBEC (Underhood Bussed Electrical Centre) / Fusebox? I believe that there's a screw-off (via adjustable wrench) post that comes direct from the battery. You will need to temporarily remove the plastic fusebox cover for access.

I was trying to reactivate a Cobalt SS showcar 2 weeks ago and found out that instead of disconnecting the battery, the technician had disconnected the fuse box; you should be able to get power from here. As to whether or not it's electrically sound, and what modifications are required to make it safe... I make no comment, other than be careful (electrocution, grounding, continuity, proper fuse usage, EMC [electromagnetic compatibility], the effect of horn vibration on other components, current draw & voltage drop ramifications, mounting points and robustness, electrical connections, ground-loops, wiring gauge sizes, corrosion / waterleak risks, connector retention, etc.). :)

I know that you asked for no questions, but are you going with the Dukes of Hazard horn? 'La Cucharacha" (sp?) a la Homer Simpson is always a nice touch. ;) I hope that this helps!

#6 ·
I'm no electrical expert (haha) , but have you tried the UHBEC (Underhood Bussed Electrical Centre) / Fusebox? I believe that there's a screw-off (via adjustable wrench) post that comes direct from the battery. You will need to temporarily remove the plastic fusebox cover for access.
Anyone provide details? I cant find it, there are a lot of screw off's and id rather not disconnect something important, damn our batteries for being in the trunk! Then again. . . more engine bay room :D

#3 ·
haha no im not going for dukes of hazzard, actually my buddy bought me a horn that goes "aoooogaaaa" if you know what i mean. Thanks for the info...if anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know as much detail as possible. thanks.

#4 ·
Well if you are installing a new horn you are going to have to remove the hot wire from the old horn(s) so why don't you just use that. You can get a male connector, splice it to a new length of wire and run it to where ever you want. YOu might even want to consider mounting it where the stock one was, if it is in the engine compartment there is alot of crap to muffle the sound. If you put it in the stock location it is pretty open to the air. This saves you the time of tapping in to shit, and you can still use your horn button (or pad thingy that covers the airbag thingy). I installed a chirper that same way. Worked like a champ. Good luck bro.

#5 ·
The only reason I don't do that is becase I want to keep my old horn. I don't want the new one to be my main use. I still need one that is going to piss off people when I honk at them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.