Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just finished building a custom sub enclosure for my 2 JL w7's, the inside is built with 3/4" MDF and the outside is fiberglassed. I need to know how to get the airspace inside. I know that if you find the volume you get the airspaace but my enclosure had supports on the inside and there are lots of dips and hills so that wouldnt work. And ideas??

i dont have pictures yet. the box is 25" by 43 1/2" and the height is around 5 1/2" but as i said that changes a lot, like were the subs are going i raised it to 12 inches.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You could always Just estimate it... give a little more detail: Is the inside a fully enclosed box with fiber glass around it? or is it wood on the bottom and sides with fiber glass of the top? What are the dimensions of the box? How big are the supports? If they are small they might be negligible. Pics might help, if you have any.

And I see its your first post, so welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont have pictures yet. the box is 25" by 43 1/2" and the height is around 5 1/2" but as i said that changes a lot, like were the subs are going i raised it to 12 inches.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
I have a few hefty bags of packing peanuts that I saved up to calculate irregular shaped enclosures. What I do is fill up the enclosure with the packing peanuts, then get a big square cardboard box, dump all the peanuts used to fill your enclosure into the cardboard box, measure the dimensions, and calculate displacement. You can use anything to fill it and move to a square box, I've used sand, sawdust... as long as you have enought to fill it. You can also place large objects in to fill big areas at once, like wood blocks, smaller closed cardboard boxes...

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I have a few hefty bags of packing peanuts that I saved up to calculate irregular shaped enclosures. What I do is fill up the enclosure with the packing peanuts, then get a big square cardboard box, dump all the peanuts used to fill your enclosure into the cardboard box, measure the dimensions, and calculate displacement. You can use anything to fill it and move to a square box, I've used sand, sawdust... as long as you have enought to fill it. You can also place large objects in to fill big areas at once, like wood blocks, smaller closed cardboard boxes...
QFT! as i was reading the o.p. i was thinking exactly the same thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts