Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that our internals are better than the 2.2Ls but how much hp and tq can we get out of the stock bottom end? The 2.2Ls rods snap at 287hp and the crank is good until about 500hp so if we have better internals when are our rods going to snap? I'm also wondering if anybdy like Psi-fi has blown a motor up yet to find out how much power we cannt add. Below are the GM testing chart for the 2.2L (they put n2o in it till it was inefficent then they turbocharged it) and then what gm says about our bottom end.

http://www.year2032.com/ecotec.htm

ROBUST PISTON AND ROD ASSEMBLY
The Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is designed from the inside out to handle the demands of a 200-horsepower supercharged engine. A 5.6-mm piston top ring land is utilized for piston strength, allowing optimization of engine performance. The pistons themselves are cooled and lubricated by targeted oil jets that keep their underside, along with the cylinder wall, in a continuous oil bath. The large 23-mm piston pin provides a larger bearing surface to better handle the increased loads of a supercharged engine. The connecting rods have been upgraded, incorporating a larger forged I-beam section for added strength.

ROBUST DROP FORGED STEEL CRANKSHAFT
Like the upper end of the engine, the lower end of the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is also built to provide lasting performance and durability. The crankshaft is a drop forged steel design that incorporates induction heat-treated fillets for added strength, and cross-drilled, chamfered oil passages for excellent lubrication characteristics

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
according to the techs at the dealerships. There should be no problems till 350-400hp when the tranny comes into question not the engine.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'm gonna agree w/ Goofy - your engine can handle a LOT of power; I believe they're the same motors used in the drag Cobalts/Cavaliers, with the same internals. It's the driveline you've gotta worry about - clutch, transmission, driveshafts; those are the ones that are probably not going to stand up to a ton of power & twist on them.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
I'm gonna agree w/ Goofy - your engine can handle a LOT of power; I believe they're the same motors used in the drag Cobalts/Cavaliers, with the same internals. It's the driveline you've gotta worry about - clutch, transmission, driveshafts; those are the ones that are probably not going to stand up to a ton of power & twist on them.
of cousre you would. If anyone can find it there are 2-6 threads about this. I found that most of the parts are made for rediculous numbers. The crank and main bearing are good to something like 700+hp the rods are 450 and the pistons as long as there isnt a sprayed influence 500hp. Top end is good its the tranny you need to look into.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Yeah, I don't think the clutch can handle anything above 300hp. Might be seeing it go out before 300hp.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
stage 2 clutch from the GM performance catalog uses the same part # coincidence? 350hp is the reccomended spec. Man Im good.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
goofyguy said:
stage 2 clutch from the GM performance catalog uses the same part # coincidence? 350hp is the reccomended spec. Man Im good.
Just saying, I'd upgrade before I hit 300hp to a Stage 3 Spec clutch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just a quick question about the cylinder head. Does it flow pretty good the way it is right now or is there some power to be gained by port and polishing as well as a 3 angle valve job?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I found this in the new ecotec hand book, i didn't find anything on the LSJ crackshaft but the stock L61 crank was tested to 550HP with no durability issues. i dont know if they are the same crank.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
This has been done in a least one other thread
A lot of people are assuming just because the crank and rods are forged units that they should be good to 700HP , but there's a lot more to it. The LSJ DOES NOT use the GM "race ready" billet steel crank, 4340 H-beam rods or top-shelf forged pistons such as the JEs or Wisecos as outlined in the ECOTEC GMPP handbook.
And although I've never heard of any true destructive testing (from an outside source) on the LSJ bottom end, the new ECOTEC handbook ( as shown above) does not recommend the stock LSJ piston/rods to anything above 300HP!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
they did that on purpose...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.