Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow im spending the day cleaning my car, and im taking my wheels off and cleaning them like crazy. i'll be using a tire iron to take them on and off and ive never done it that way before so im not sure how tight to do them when i put em back on.....i know that i can break em if i do it too tight. any suggestions? i dont have air tools at my house or id be set......oh well.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The torque specs is around 103 ft lbs a lug I think. Unless you have the strength of the Hulkster you're not going to snap them.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If i am doing mine by hand then I tighten them by hand by hand untill I cant turn them anymore. I dont stand on the wrench or anything like that just as tight as I can get them by hand. I have never had a problem with them comming loose.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrite, so ill just tighten them with the tire iron but not sit there and kick the wrench, haha. thanks guys.

·
Registered
73 Posts
GM recommends 100 ft lbs on almost all their vehicles. a cheap and quick why to make sure you don't over tighten and create brake pulsations is to put an extension on the end of the socket you use and tighten with a breaker bar. the extension will only allow so much torque to go through it just watch the socket to stop turning and you will be all set

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i know how to use those, but all i have is a tire iron, i dont have money for a breaker bar or a torque wrench.....at least not right now anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tighten the bolts in a star pattern. Don't just go around clockwise or something - use a star pattern. Even if you don't have a torque wrench (which you should invest in, if you plan to do this often), the most important thing is to tighten them all to the SAME torque. So do the best you can to use the same force each time. Otherwise you're on a quick trip to some warped rotors.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, i appreciate the help.....but im not a noob at lug nuts and wheels, just a noob with tire irons.

ive taken wheels on and off more times than i can remember with air tools and torque wrenches.....thats absolutely no problem for me, and i understand that i should buy one, i just dont feel like spending the money right now.

all im asking is how tight i should do it with a tire iron, cuz thats the only lug nut remover i have never used before, thats all.....

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
thanks, i appreciate the help.....but im not a noob at lug nuts and wheels, just a noob with tire irons.

ive taken wheels on and off more times than i can remember with air tools and torque wrenches.....thats absolutely no problem for me, and i understand that i should buy one, i just dont feel like spending the money right now.

all im asking is how tight i should do it with a tire iron, cuz thats the only lug nut remover i have never used before, thats all.....
I dont know how you would think anyone could describe how to PROPERLY tighten the lug nuts with a tire iron, it cant be done. It's all a "feel" that can only come from torqing many hundreds (or thousands) of wheels. If you've done it as often as you claim- you wouldnt have even asked this question.
BUT
You'll notice your owners manual recommends (in the "How to change a tire section") to essentially tighten them as much as you can BY HAND (using the fixed length of the factory lug wrench) THEN to have them properly torqued to specification as soon as possible. Doing anything else and you risk warped rotors and accompanying brake pulsations if left over or unevenly torqued.
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
which is why i asked for suggestions....if you had read my first post you'd understand that.

im not out to get criticism, i was just looking for some insight or if anybody had any of their own ways of doing it that might help....im just not going to bother and ill buy a torque wrench after my next paycheck.

thanks for the help anyways, i appreciate it :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
WopOnTour said:
BY HAND (using the fixed length of the factory lug wrench) THEN to have them properly torqued to specification as soon as possible.

Exactly. A fixed lenghth, issued by the manufacturer....dont add a breaker bar. That will add strenght to you power...adding more torque (an undetermined amount) to the nut.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The tire iron has to be about the worst tool ever invented. A "t" wrench (one of those with 4 lug different sizes at each end) works much better. You should be able to find one for $5 - $10. I know you want to get a torque wrench eventually, but a t wrench is still very useful for removing lugs. And even for tightening, I think you get a better feel for how much torque is being applied than with a tire iron or breaker bar.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats what i have, a t wrench.....im just calling it a tire iron cuz its easier for me....and ive never really known anything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts