Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
thats preety neat, im not gonna try it though. i doubt squirting liquid on our intercoolers will yield much of a gain, but , then again. no one here has tried it so you never know.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
you will see gains when the IC is heatsoaked..

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sheek360 said:
thats preety neat, im not gonna try it though. i doubt squirting liquid on our intercoolers will yield much of a gain, but , then again. no one here has tried it so you never know.
Thats why its not on our intercoolers, it is the other idea thats in other threads...use a tranny cooler and spray it on there. Have the IC Coolant run through the tranny cooler instead of adding an ice box...its on demand.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
sheek360 said:
Think of it as evaporative cooling when spraying the IC with water or better yet a water/alcohol mixture. It has the same effect as taking a wet cloth to your forehead when you are screaming hot. The water evaporating off the surface actually lowers the surface temp. The only drawback is a messy motor from the water spray just like driving in the rain so you'll have to polish that engine compartment a bit more:D

If you took the IC radiator out and modified the 2 water tubes on the bottom so you could mount it in front of the A/C and motor radiator cores, it would be more efficient. A tranny cooler (turned into a IC radiator) out front would be an easier mod to do rather than moving the factory IC radiator out front. Go junkyard shopping for a used tranny cooler off some truck to save some $$$.

Mike

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Good find! I just might try that, after I get all my other crap done.

·
Registered
399 Posts
guys, with this liquid to air cooler system you can get the same if not better gains just using evans cooling. just drain out the coolant and fill it up with evans. it has no water in it and it DOES NOT build up any pressure in the cooling system. ie: you can be running in 110 degree weather, hop out of your car and pop off the radiator cap without worry of getting burned by steam or it blowing off on you.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
selfinfliction said:
guys, with this liquid to air cooler system you can get the same if not better gains just using evans cooling. just drain out the coolant and fill it up with evans. it has no water in it and it DOES NOT build up any pressure in the cooling system. ie: you can be running in 110 degree weather, hop out of your car and pop off the radiator cap without worry of getting burned by steam or it blowing off on you.
oohhhhh rreeaaaaaaaallllyyyyy. . . where can I find that at? Somewhere like discount auto or something?

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
selfinfliction said:
How do you drain the intercooler system and what temp decreases are you seeing self?

·
Registered
399 Posts
AlphaJaguar5 said:
How do you drain the intercooler system and what temp decreases are you seeing self?

haven't done it to mine yet, but i do have 12 gallons of it on the way to the garage right now. The difference on my brother's 408 aluminum block (on a latemodel) the temps NEVER spiked and stayed around an average of 205 in the beginning of the race and about 212 near the end (25 laps on 3/8mile). usually on an 80 degree day like it was we will run about 225-230 in the beginning and up to 240-250 near the end when the radiator gaurd starts getting clogged with mud.

the craziest thing is how it just doesn't steam though... i still don't understand that lol... the thermostat said the temp was 175 and we popped off the radiator cap and all it did was make a little muffled thud sound and no steam or anything:confused:

on a street car the biggest benefits you would see is the superfast dissapation of heat, it's not going to make the car constantly run colder, it will just cool down alot faster. the same thing as having an extra resivoir with more coolant, or a bigger radiator/aftercooler. plus the benefit of having very little pressure on the cooling system.

here's their website: http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html

·
Registered
399 Posts
redline13 said:
oohhhhh rreeaaaaaaaallllyyyyy. . . where can I find that at? Somewhere like discount auto or something?
usually airplane shops and speedshops, they sell that crappy water wetter and some other brand at the auto stores. it's not the same becuase the cheap stuff is an additive, evans actually replaces the water and coolant. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts