Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
edit: things have been moved around, new location of pictures is at http://www.uslsja.com/howto/sunroofdrain/ and im too lazy to change the urls :D

enjoy

This is for all the people that have gotten in they're car after a hard rain, only to find one of the seats and/or carpet soaking wet.

The most common cause of leaks in the Ion/cobalt is the sunroof. The sunroof has 4 drains, one on every corner. On each of these corners is a small hole, with a rubber tube attached to it. This rubber hose runs down the pillars to the outside of the vehicle. This allows any water that builds up in the sunroof tracks to drain easily and not flow or pour over into the vehicle.
Typically when you have a leak there are 2 problems. The most common is that one of the tubes has popped off. This is very easy to fix and we'll be covering this first today. The second most common is that one of the tubes is clogged. This typically happens because of dirt and grime has built up around the drain hole, and during a heavy rain all this grime gets washed down the hole and blocks it up.

The blue arrow is pointing to where the hole is. Notice all the crap built up around it? Were going to be taking care of this and securing the drain tubes.

You want to start by taking off the driver side A-pillar. It attached by 1 7mm bolt. Remove the plastic tab about halfway down the pillar and remove this bolt. Then pull on the top of the pillar and it should come loose.

Then remove the visor. There are 2 phillips head screws holding the left side on and 1 on the right.

Once you remove the visor you can lightly pull down on the headliner, but only pull on the corner your working on, you dont want to crease the headliner.

If your reading this, you probobly have a leak, and this is what you typically will see.

Just re-insert the tube. Then wrap 2 zipties around where the large piece of the tube connects and on the small piece like so.

If done correctly, you should be able to lightly tug on the tube and it wont slide out.
Now re-setup the headliner, re-install the visor, and install the a-pillar.

Now, unfortunately, I had already done this on the other 3 corners of the car, so I dont have pictures for you to follow, but the pass side and both the rear corners are just as easy to get to (easier I think because of my gauge pod :)). Plus the rear uses the same size bolts and all.

The second part of this how-to covers clogged drain tubes. When repairing water leaks, most saturn techs do not do this part. I do it everytime. Getting shitty, nasty water backed up and pouring down on your nice seats would totally irritate me, especially if I had the problem fixed already, so I always make sure to do this part.

The bottom part of the drain tubes run down the a-pillar and out of the car through a grommet, pictured below.

Getting to it is not very easy. You have to remove the plastic trim that runs along the bottom of the door along the carpet, referred to by GM as the "carpet retainer". Once removed, pull the carpet in whatever corner your working in back, along with the sound deadening material. Next, reach up high along the inside edge, past the wiring harnesses and all, and pull the rubber insulator piece out. If your working on the driver side it will be on the left about half a foot up off the carpet. Its tucked into the frame. same on the right side. Once you pull that out, you should be able to reach into the hole where the insulator piece was and feel the drain hose. pull it out of the grommet, then pull the grommet out.

Next, take a pair of scissors or something sharp, and clip the end off like so.

This will allow any grime, dirt, and other random crap to drain out, instead of filling the tube up and causing a leak. Here's proof that this is the cause. This came out of the grommet when I removed it from the car and spilled on me. smells bad too :\

After clipping the grommet off, reach back up into the car and re-insert it into the hole in the frame.

I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT LET GO OF IT. Unless your made of rubber you will not be able to reach it again. You will have to buy a new one or come up with some other way of routing the drain hose. I lost one grommet and a pair of pliers before I realized how far down into the frame that hole reached. DO NOT LET GO OF THE GROMMET.
If you do, you could always make the drain tube longer so it's not draining onto the floor.

The rear is MUCH easier. Pull the carpet on either side away and you should see this.

Remove the grommet and pull the tube out, clip the end, and re-insert. Just like the front, but easy!

Now for the test! Get a bottle of water or something, and pour it into the drain holes in the sunroof, in each corner. Pour carefully! If you spill it will go in the car! If done correctly you should see this...

Behind the front wheels on the ground you should see water draining out, same with behind the rear wheels. When I did mine I could see quite a bit of crap coming out with it.

If your still experiencing a clog somewhere, find some pressurized air. Working in a shop this is easy for me to find, but you may want to try just pulling one of the drain tubes and blowing into the end of it. This should push whatever bit of crap is stuck in the tube out.
If that does not work, your last resort is replacing the tube all-together. But this should be a last ditch effort and should not be necessary.

Now enjoy! Hopefully this should cure all or most of your water leak woes!

I take no responsibility for anything you do.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, you should always go to the dealer first and let them do it. Thats what a warranty is for :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I just did this, it's a great suggestion to do your fronts (and since the backs take 10 seconds, them too).

The fronts suck to get to, but mine had a tube full of dirt in them, so it was worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tubes

fronts are harder. particularly the passenger side. backs were easy. tested and water came out of all. took me an hour and i am a novice. saturn of west county wanted 265.00. how can that be

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
FRONT DRAIN TUBE ENDS ARE SIMPLE! undo the inner fender well lining near the rear of the front tire and look up inside the fender. you will see the end of the grommet sticking out. snip it with some diagonal cutters or whatever and you should be all set. no lost tools and no ripping up the carpet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I know it's an old thread..but, hey... I sure hope this is all that is wrong with my cobalt... Since the guys over at css.net were no help... Great How To!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info! We have a leak that's flooded our passenger side on three different ocassions and the dealership hadn't caught it even though I paid the pretty penny to have them clean out the drains in the Spring. Apparently our culprit is the drain that goes out the exhaust pipe and that's not one of the drains they normally check when they service the other lines in the sunroof. And as for the warranty...the drains are considered hoses so they are not covered by the warranty (regular or extended).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I have hopefully fixed the sunroof leak problem, but someone has mentioned that with a leak that it may trigger the alarm. Lately when the car is sitting in the driveway off, it will give 10 short beeps on the horn then the alarm will kick in. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the problem and how did you fix it? I hate talking to the dealership, they always treat me like I don't know anything and trying to get me to bring it in. I can't believe they were going to charge me $65 just to do a leak diagnostics!!!

·
1,587 Posts
you dont need pictures, they are small "L" shaped grey boots. In the rear, just pull the upper carpet corners back from the little metal posts and the tubes going to the rubber boots are the drains, pull out the rubber part of the rear sheet metal and slice/ cut the tips off so bugs can flow thru, in the front either go from the cabin side of the fender liner or unbolt the roof trim and front fenders and reach in with scissors and nip the exposed areas that you did in the trunk off.

Four boots in total one in each fender and one on each side of trunk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy Crap! Thank you guys so much. I was outside for an hour looking for the end of the hose. I did drop it when I was reaching for it. Scared the hell out of me. But I somehow got it back. Thanks again.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I currently have the headliner out of my car (due to one loose hose, and one clogged) so I could post up some pics if one were interested...

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to have them on file again if you are willing. Links are often broken on here, and someone doing this for the 1st time would benefit greatly from your images!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Okay, here goes. I didn't get pics of everything, cause frankly, it's very hard to cram yourself up under the dash to get that big plastic plug out. And then the camera doesn't exactly like being shoved up in a dark hole to take a pic up close. This is the best I could do.

First pic: This is the rubber boot/grommet in the trunk, passenger side. It's just behind the fender. It looks just like the ones up front. The hose isn't very tight in there, it can easily pull out of the boot and end up flooding your trunk... heh. Ask me how I know.

Second Pic: Sunroof drain, front driver's side. That silver thing at the bottom right is the place where the visor bolts on. You can see I already zip-tied mine, and again, the hoses are not tight in there.

Third Pic: Sunroof drain, rear driver's side. It's just behind the seatbelt spool (the big silver thing).

Fourth Pic: Passenger Side just under the dash. The carpet retainer piece is easy to get off, the rear part lifts up, the part under the dash pulls out to the side. The driver's side one is a little hard to get off, the hood release is in the way.

Fifth Pic: The money shot. This is the passenger side, under the dash. That black hose-looking thing is the radio antenna wire. You see the plastic piece it goes into? That's what you need to get to. It's kinda shaped like a whacked figure-8, and covers two holes in the fenderwell. The drain hose is in the front hole. The front hole is about the size of your fist. If you can get to it, the boot's not that hard to grab. Which leads me to my next discovery.

Remember what I said about the hoses not fitting in the boots tightly? Right..... if you blow out the hoses with air, and the hoses or boots are clogged, then it will probably blow the hose out of the boot, spilling water into your floorboard. I had to hold the hose/boot with one hand, and reach up to the sunroof with a blowgun in my other hand, and it did the trick. No chance of getting a zip-tie on there, and I wasn't about to try to get the boot out and back in... so I settled for just clearing it.

New sunroof frame is coming in tomorrow, will be putting it all back together.

-Funky

:FRO:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Thanks for posting those, it's nice to have some complete threads again!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts