Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not a true "performance mod", but when I did a search I didn't find any good pictures of what the stock "silencer" looked like.

It's a piece of flexible fibery paper attached to the intake eblow with a plasic cover zip tied around it & then a plastic snout at the end.

So I took mine off & snapped some pictures for those guys that are looking for the beloved "supercharger whine" and are too poor to afford an intake. It doesn't make it super loud (like a K&N would), but it sounds a little bit louder.

Watts-Up's suggestion is to take off the front bumper & you can do it that way.

OR the other way is to remove the driver's side wheel liner, which is what I did:

1. Jack up the car & use a jack stand (safety first!)

2. Remove the driver's side front wheel......5 x 19mm lugs

3. There are 12 push pin clips (6 or 7 in the wheel well & then 5 or 6 underneath the front clip) & also 2 7mm bolts that hold the wheel liner in place. You can use a slotted screwdriver & you need to pull up the center just half way & then the whole piece will slide out. But I would start underneath the front clip, remove those. Undo the 2 bolts, & then remove the rest of the clips.

4. Pull the wheel liner out of the way.

5. Now you will see the intake silencer (I had already cut the zip ties from the plastic cover, sorry):

6. Now go under the front clip and you'll see a rubber hose with a clamp & a plastic elbow attached to it that goes to the silencer. Loosen the hose clamp....it's a 7mm bolt or you can use a slotted screwdriver. (the silencer is already removed, but this is the clamp:)

6. If you look behind the snout of the silencer, there is one 10mm bolt attached to the plastic that is holding it in place. You gotta reach in there, but it's not too bad to get to. Undo it.

7. Now just slide the elbow out of the rubber hose and then wiggle the silencer past the windshield washer bottle and it'll come out easily. Here's what you got:

8. Cut the bottom zip tie (near the elbow) or both if you want & peel back the plastic cover. You'll see 3 brass screws that hold the flexible fibery paper to the elbow.....unscrew those with a slotted screwdriver.

9. Slide the elbow out & here's what you're left with:

10. Go back under the car & you're gonna slide the elbow back into this (there is a notch to line it up with):

11. Tighten down the hose clamp (7mm or a slotted screwdriver):

12. How it looks now:

13. Reinstall the wheel liner with the push pins & bolts, put the wheel back on & lower the car!

14. Enjoy the "whine!"

**Not really a great how to (because it's really simple to do), but hopefully the pictures will help**

As for potential problems/questiosn.....it's still just like the stock intake, but a little lower. There is no way you'll get hydro lock unless you go into water deeper than a foot & a half.
And the wheel liner totally isolates the intake from any water and it's still getting the cooler air from inside the fender :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
i did this mod before and i check my filter later on and it seem like it was wet i dunno if might be water from like the headlight running throught when it rains or water from when i use the washer fluid since is so close

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
great freakn right up yet again man.. i love free mods... i just did this and i can start to hear the whine at like 3k, when with the silencer i never heard anything.. its not crazy loud like the k&n but that little whine atleast lets me know the supercharger is doing some sucking..

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
BLUE_REDLINE said:
i did this mod before and i check my filter later on and it seem like it was wet i dunno if might be water from like the headlight running throught when it rains or water from when i use the washer fluid since is so close
on the silencer there is still a straight through hole leading to the elbow so i dont see how removing that would be bad for letting water in.. if water is getting in there either way with silencer or not it will get in through the tubing... i angled my elbow back towards the driver a bit so anything coming in from the front wouldnt be going directly into the piping..

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Another great write up man.

I kind of did this mod a while back...except I only took the silencer off, not the papery part of the hose. I may have to go back and take that part off or replace it with a metal section because I have a feeling the whine will be heard earlier. That papery material might to do a good job absorbing the sound waves, when the metal or no extra material would bounce the sound out.

I just put a K&N drop in filter in a couple days ago (just went over 20k miles with the stock filter...it was real dirty so I got the K&N for the heck of it). I am pretty sure this helped release some of the whine. Now I can hear it a little before 4000rpms, when before I'm pretty sure I couldn't hear the whine until 4300-4500. If there was any power gain, it's not noticeable, but maybe I'll see some gas mileage increase (since my old filter was so dirty).

Anyway, keep up the great how-to's. Very visual and easy to follow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i got a k&n filter drop in but it was not meant for the the redline i got it at autozone they didn't have one for the redline so i used one that goes on an eagle talon lol

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
BLUE_REDLINE said:
i got a k&n filter drop in but it was not meant for the the redline i got it at autozone they didn't have one for the redline so i used one that goes on an eagle talon lol
Which one did you get? The one for IRL's is E-0774. My local stores don't carry it, so I had to get it off the internet for $40.

I don't know how you managed to get another filter in there that wasn't designed for this car, because I had a hard enough time getting the right one to get in securely. You must be using one that has a much looser fit and doesn't provide a proper seal into the throttle body, so you may be getting unfiltered air into the S/C and into the engine...you might want to check into that.

Did it take anyone else way too long to put in the K&N drop in? It took me about an hour. I spent a lot of time fidgeting the airbox lid under the hoses and over the center of the top of the filter to seal it in. Damn plastic tube on the lid would not easily slide onto the filter.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
jpapa said:
Did it take anyone else way too long to put in the K&N drop in? It took me about an hour. I spent a lot of time fidgeting the airbox lid under the hoses and over the center of the top of the filter to seal it in. Damn plastic tube on the lid would not easily slide onto the filter.
Took me about 4 hours and a pint of blood!

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
jpapa said:
If there was any power gain, it's not noticeable, but maybe I'll see some gas mileage increase (since my old filter was so dirty).
I get 50 more miles out of a tankful of gas with the K&N drop in

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Was anyone else thinking about how a tube with a velocity stack flows volume wise compared to a straight tube? There is a reason for the velocity stack on the inlet tube. I'd replace the paper with a plastic tube but keep the velocity stack for sure.

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good write up and the timing couldn't be better.

Later this summer when I do my KandN drop in I was planning on removing the silencer and using a velocity stack. Since you have all the pieces right there can you give me the dimentions of the stock pieces. Really for smoothest air flow the ID's should be sufficent.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
i didnt feel any performance loss at all.. and if there was what would it be.. 1hp??!! for as easy as the mod was im 100% satisfied with the added whine... itll do until i find a k&n for cheap.. 230 is just crazy for a whine..

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BLUE_REDLINE said:
The elbow actually has a small hole in the bottom to drain water

That's crazy though if the filter was "soaked" in water :shrug03:

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jpapa said:
I kind of did this mod a while back
Yeah when I searched for a how to and what the silencer was I saw your posts from last year (around Thanksgiving?) asking how to do this and you had a couple pictures posted but I didn't know what they were of since I didn't know what it actually looked like

But this is something simple to do and after seeing pictures it just explains what it is

thanks for the feedback too ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a K&N Drop-In and Stage II, everything on the intake is stock (besides said filter), and the whine for me typically starts around 3500. Hopefully the weather will get better here on one of my days off so I can 1) rotate my tires; 2) remove silencer; and 3) clean TB. I didn't notice much of a power difference with the K&N, but my mileage did go up by a couple mpg. The dealer installed the filter while I was in for an oil change a while back, and it took them around an hour. They said that they had to unbolt the box from the tranny and remove it just to make sure it would close right. As for purchasing the filter, nobody in Corpus sells filters for such a rare car. I ordered mine from AutoAnything.com and paid a very reasonable price for it.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah taking the filter lid off is sort of a pain in the ass, but it can be done

Just a lot of maneuvering....sort of like with the oil filter (if you change your own oil)

I changed my air filter at 15K and it was pretty dirty....just used a stock one though since I only have the car another year and it wouldn't make much sense to spend $40 (instead of $20 on a stock one) and then have to go thru the trouble of taking it out before I turn it in...lol

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
c4220 said:
Since you have all the pieces right there can you give me the dimentions of the stock pieces.
Here's all you get :p :

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
does this add any scream when just revving?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts