Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
snobrdrdan said:
Ohhh...just the sub....I get it

I was gonna say...the trunks are totally different styles
It's not TOTALLY different, just different enough....lol If you spent enough time and effort you could likely get it to fit [heat gun, sand off the old mounting spots so it can fit flush, etc].. but I am WAY to lazy to do it.. so much easier to just make a box or buy one.. depending on personal taste/skill.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well yeah I'm sure you could modify it with fiberglass to fit or something (the Focus SVT guys mod the back of the stock box to fit bigger subs).....but at that point it'd be cheaper to just start from scratch building a fiberglass box....u know???

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
XeroState said:
It's not TOTALLY different, just different enough....lol If you spent enough time and effort you could likely get it to fit [heat gun, sand off the old mounting spots so it can fit flush, etc].. but I am WAY to lazy to do it.. so much easier to just make a box or buy one.. depending on personal taste/skill.
There is no way that it would fit in the same spot as the cobalt without drastically altering the shape of the sub enclosure. And it would get in the way of my golf clubs.

Here are a couple of pics.

I had to remove the 3 of the 4 mounting points to get it to lay flat because the floor of the spare tire location is uneven. I also had to remove the speaker cover because it was too tall and would touch the bottom of the trunk carpet. I thought about cutting a hole in the carpet and letting it stick through but I use my trunk way too much.

The best part is that I still have a full trunk and there is absolutely no signs of an aftermarket sub install.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
ebristol said:
The best part is that I still have a full trunk and there is absolutely no signs of an aftermarket sub install.
Technically, it's a OEM sub install ;)

Very very interesting though!

What do you have holding it down or stopping it from sliding around??

And you took out your spare tire just to put that in?? Reminds me of the Acura RSX Bose sub....hmmm...that might be a good idea to get if you wanted to keep your spare tire...:thinkerg:

Do you get the sound you're looking for out of it??

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
snobrdrdan said:
Technically, it's a OEM sub install ;)
Its not OEM for my car!

snobrdrdan said:
!

What do you have holding it down or stopping it from sliding around??
On the back of the enclosure there is a bolt that taps into the magnet on the sub and holds the sub and the enclosure together from the rear. I replaced that bolt with an eye hole bolt and then used a zip tie to secure the eye hole to the spare tire mounting location. It moves a little bit in each direction but it wouldn't jump around on hard breaking.

snobrdrdan said:
And you took out your spare tire just to put that in??
Yeah I took it out. I have Roadside assistance on my car that I can call if I get a flat or something. I use my trunk a lot.

You would be surprised at the amount of stuff you can fit in the ION! Not so much the RL because the passenger seat doesn't fold all the way down. Our trunk is HUGE compared to any 2 door coupe! My brother owns and G6 and I have to pull the woods out of my bag to get my bag to fit in his trunk. With the ION, everything slides right in.

snobrdrdan said:
Do you get the sound you're looking for out of it??
It sounds good. I was not looking for anything boomy. Like I mentioned earlier I have the gains on the amp all the way down. The bass hit are really crisp.

I would compare it to the pioneer system (or any factory installed sub system) they use in the 03+ tibs. I have the bass level where most people can still enjoy the music.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
ebristol said:
My brother owns and G6 and I have to pull the woods out of my bag to get my bag to fit in his trunk.
I just thought I would quote this sentence, because I found it kind of funny.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
ebristol said:
You would be surprised at the amount of stuff you can fit in the ION! Not so much the RL because the passenger seat doesn't fold all the way down. Our trunk is HUGE compared to any 2 door coupe! My brother owns and G6 and I have to pull the woods out of my bag to get my bag to fit in his trunk. With the ION, everything slides right in.
Yeah I agree....I looked at a G6 at the dealer last week & it doesn't have a deep trunk like ours at all. Ours is deep & goes back....it is nice sized for a small car

ebristol said:
I would compare it to the pioneer system (or any factory installed sub system) they use in the 03+ tibs. I have the bass level where most people can still enjoy the music.
If you're talking about a Tiburon, I could've sworn they had Infinity systems

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
AAS = Advanced Audio System (6 speaker system with an amplifier)

Non-AAS = 4 speaker system with NO amplifier (just the headunit)

If you have tweeters (by the front edge of the windows) on your driver & passenger doors, and also a small silver amplifier underneath the rear shelf (you'll see it when you open the trunk), then that means you have the AAS system

·
Registered
454 Posts
good write up I was curious about the AAS thing as well but got my answer. I'll be doiing this shortly after i get an amp install kit. Im hoping one kenwood 350 watt will be able to push 2 10's Guess ill fin out. I'm not looking for a shite load of bass just smething to have a little bit. Walmart also sells the LOc its a Scoshe ofr $17.77. My buddy has one in his 08 Silverado and it works perfectly fine for him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok i no im a noob but...

i have an 03 ion3 and i am trying to put a sub in it.
I have the power and ground hooked up but i do not know where to hook up the remote wire.

If anyone could help a noob out it would be greatly appreciated. Pictures are always good!

thanks - andrew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought an '06 Ion, installed subs + amp, no factory wires cut or spliced

Not to zombify old threads, but I thought I'd share my subwoofer install with you guys. I take pride in my stereo installs, it's like therapy to me, and I try to do them as painlessly as possible. I was able to install two 10" subs in my trunk without cutting or splicing a single factory wire.

I went to U-Pull-It, a self service junk yard around here, and clipped about 10" of rear speaker harness wires from a Chevy Cavalier (same harnesses as our Ions). I then went to Best Buy and bought a line out converter and the speaker harness adapters for our cars. I then took the Cavalier speaker harnesses, wired them to the speaker harness adapters, then put the LOC in series in that harness. I was then able to clip the whole shebang in between the factory harness and the factory speakers (which I'll replace eventually) without cutting ANYTHING. I did it before I discovered these forums (and I don't have a Redline) so I didn't think to take pictures... sorry.

Also,

For the amp turn-on signal, I was able to get this neat thing at AutoZone called add-a-circuit. It plugs into your fuse box and adds an additional positive lead up to 10A, basically piggybacking off of an existing circuit (though it adds it, not just splices into it. You'd have to see it). I tapped the 10A radio fuse and ran that to the amp. So... car turns on, amp turns on. Still works with the car-off-delay thing, too, since there's power to the radio until the door opens.

I hope this helps anyone looking to install subs, amps, speakers, etc in their cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought my 04 Redline on 11/29/11 & i have a system im gonna put in mine when i get time but i have 2 12' Kicker L5s w/an AudioQue 1200 watt amp & 5 Farad Cap.. Just tryin to decided wether or not to get an aftermarket deck or just tie in with a converter ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have done this in a couple of my previous cars that did not have head units, and also in my previous Redline. Do you have any kind of problems getting the audio adjusted right? It seems hard to separate the frequency ranges and such

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the remote wire has to be fed through to the front pasanger side?
I am trying to install a sub, amp and cap for the first time. Could I just solder the converter to the speaker from the trunk?

·
Moderator/Internet Fight Champion
2,332 Posts
Do you have the advanced audio in your car? If so you can tap into the remote wire at the amp. If not, the easiest way (at least with removing the least amount of stuff) is running it up to the radio and connecting to the blue wire going off your deck. You'll have to run the RCA cables up that way anyhow.

Edit: I should clarify I was assuming you were talking the remote power wire. If you mean something else I'm not understanding what you're asking.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts