Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have an 04 redline and I am trying to figure out if this is a wheel bearing noise or not. I am hearing a loud howling noise from the front end. It starts at about 25 mph and just gets louder as I increase speeds. It seems like its driver side but it's hard to tell. I jacked up the front end and neither side had play. Is it possible for them to be bad and not have any play what so ever? Also does anyone know of a good place to buy a new hub assembly from? The cheapest price I could find is about 200 plus shipping.

·
Registered
517 Posts
yeah can be loud with no play... spin it up on some jackstands...

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
does it change when you swerve left and right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like it quiets down a little when I turn left. I drove in the car with my brother yesterday and he was saying he thinks the noise is coming from driverside and thats what I thought too. So if I'm turning left and it quiets down, does that mean the left one is bad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I ended up finding a hub assebly for 145 so i'm picking that up today. I'm pretty confident that it's the wheel bearing so if it doesn't work, then I guess I will try to return it.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Doubtful you'll be allowed to return it once it's installed. It seems like you're heading the right direction though.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
My passenger bearing went. Sounded terribly load. I thought I had an exhaust leak (except it did not match engine speed). I assume you could feel it by spinning the wheels by hand on jack stands. I know the hub/bearing assembly did not rotate smoothly at all when the mechanic showed it to me. It was not on the car, but I got the impression he diagnosed it when it was on the car by spinning it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
It was amazing how much quieter the car was after the replacement. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
It seems like it quiets down a little when I turn left. I drove in the car with my brother yesterday and he was saying he thinks the noise is coming from driverside and thats what I thought too. So if I'm turning left and it quiets down, does that mean the left one is bad?
yes, when you turn left, the weight of the car shifts to the right and loads the passenger side bearing and unloads the driver side. a bad bearing will make more noise usually under load.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I finally received the hub assembly yesterday. Man was that hard to get out. The ABS part was siezed in there and it actually ended up separating from the rest of the hub. Took about a half hour of hitting it with a hammer and alittle bit of PB blaster. Thanks everyone for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts