Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an '06 Ion, not Redline but you guys are the best source for information on these cars, so here I am!

Anyway,

The light on the left side of my HVAC control module went out, and one on the right is starting to flicker. I'm referring to the lights that create the back-lit effect behind the controls. Does anyone know if these are bulbs or LED's, and if they're user/driver/owner serviceable?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well, they are definitely LEDs, as I had mine apart a couple weeks ago to look at it. My right-most light is out, and the left-most one is loose, and will sometimes goes off. Comes back on if I tap on the console. Was doing a radio swap anyways, so I took apart the HVAC controls while I had the dash apart.

They are definitely LEDs, but they look to be hardwired/soldered into a circuit board. I don't mind doing some soldering, but I don't really know enough about how all of it is put together in order to be sure if it's just the LEDs, or maybe it's some other part of the circuit board.

Anybody else have any luck with fixing those LEDs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a solution!

Well, they are definitely LEDs, as I had mine apart a couple weeks ago to look at it. My right-most light is out, and the left-most one is loose, and will sometimes goes off. Comes back on if I tap on the console. Was doing a radio swap anyways, so I took apart the HVAC controls while I had the dash apart.

They are definitely LEDs, but they look to be hardwired/soldered into a circuit board. I don't mind doing some soldering, but I don't really know enough about how all of it is put together in order to be sure if it's just the LEDs, or maybe it's some other part of the circuit board.

Anybody else have any luck with fixing those LEDs?

Good news... I found some information in a forum after some maniupulation of the URL (they changed their subdirectories or something so initially the links were broken)

ION Forums.net • View topic - Interior LED conversions (HVAC, Cruise, etc)

I've just ordered the LED's to replace the HVAC ones - I'm going for blue dash and controls and red indicators. I'm very excited!

Getting that HVAC panel out is a serious pain in the butt though without yanking the radio first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts