Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In May I was driving and I had the A/C on an it started to fade out a little.

The fan seemed to make a noise and I had to change the position on the dial. It turned off but I was able to turn it to the other positon and it turned back on. After a few days the dial did not work and the fan does not go on any more. The power does work to the A/C and the heater so I do get the air blowing from the outside to the inside when driving. This is very weak but better than nothing.

There are 4 or 5 positions on the dial. The first one turns it on, I guess. The next 3-4 positions are the speed - low high etc,

I watched the you tube videos and they say to remove it and fix the dial from behind where sometimes the mechanical part gets released. I made an attempt to just remove my radio/cd player and it was not easy to do. I could not even get the electrcal connector to release to take out the radio.It was a hot day and perhaps the plastic expanded and may be the reason so I should try now when it is cooler.

Any help with this would be appreciated - I need to get this fixed because I have no defrost and is somewhat dangerous.
-

These videos are related to this if you want to look real quick.

The first video the guy says theres a resistor - anyone know where that is and if I should check that first?

Thanks

Registered
I have not done direct repairs to the hvac control unit but to pull it is very easy. The silver besel just pops off as it is held in by 8mm (not sure on size) and the wireing clips are real easy to get out.

The raido harnesses is just a PITA but it will be easy for the hvac.

If you can't fix yours I have a spare for sale.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done direct repairs to the hvac control unit but to pull it is very easy. The silver besel just pops off as it is held in by 8mm (not sure on size) and the wireing clips are real easy to get out.

The raido harnesses is just a PITA but it will be easy for the hvac.

If you can't fix yours I have a spare for sale.
Thanks for the response

I was able to get the radio harness off this time - so easy - it was 95 F when I attempted last so it was "welded" on.
I took the hvac apart and the plastic broke off in side (was all small and about to go anyway) - I need a new one. Looked melted inside probably from the heat in the summers

How much for the unit ? I am interested, thanks

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eagle please let me know about the hvac control

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem I was in a program for 6 months this year. That sounds like a good deal - How do I pay you - paypal ?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok - I was just checking these and there are some for 2006-07 and others for 2003-2005 - Do you know if these willl both work

I will do paypal

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What year is this one from?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for that. I was not certain but I saw on ebay one that was new-made in 2014 mexico. From the pic ,oddly, the cord attachment on the left side looks shorter. Would it be too much trouble if you took a picture? Some of them have a curve shaped platform and some rectangular.
I don't know (also) how much they can be dissembled without breaking the plastic. It's the back piece and front(inside) of the center button that is the problem on my current one -2004.
Any way I am learning.

Registered
According to GM they are all interchangeable. I can get you a pic of the connectors in the afternoon after I wake up and there is light outside. It would be of the one in my daily but that is an 06 so it is the same part.

As for how to take it apart the nobs do come off as well as a black outer face plate and the electrical boatd but the a/c defrost and recec buttons are not ment to come off.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks - you have been extremely helpful and I have to give credit also to redline forums for having this website.

If gm says there are ok to swap, I may go with the new one I saw on ebay because it was a little shocking to see the center locking mechanism on my 04 hvwc control - basically disintegrate on my finger but touching it with a nanonewton of force.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Rim
Bird Fruit Beak Eyelash Wood
Rim Electric blue Fashion accessory Event Circle
Unless you can take it apart and check- no this is getting crazy-I will go get

the new one

note: I am surprised that Mexico was manufacturing parts for our cars in 2014. I have to appreciate those folks over there.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also I noticed when removing , the outside connector looked like it may have been affected by some heat. I am not sure if it some plastic melted on to the surface on the input. Hopefully there was not a overload some time and damaged the electric wires.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also I noticed when removing , the outside connector looked like it may have been affected by some heat. I am not sure if it some plastic melted on to the surface on the input. Hopefully there was not a overload some time and damaged the electric wires.
Tire Wheel Tread Vehicle Automotive tire

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Audio equipment Ventilation fan Gas Machine Wire
g
Automotive tire Computer hardware Rim Engineering Electrical wiring

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks to all who helped with my hvac system repair. I got the 06-7 part
Product Grey Font Material property Pattern

and was worried that it would not work. One confusion was how the cords attach to the gears and dials. Because this was my first repair involving the hvac, I did not realize that they were attached dynamically (i.e. all I could see at first was that they were attached at a specific length-see pictures above). Also in pic above: Blue note lines in picture - I am showing the added side supports in the 2006-07 compared to the absent ones in the 2004. This did not create any problem.

I was without heat and a/c for 5-6 months and It was felt significantly. Because of many obstacles at the time, I could not do the repair then. Last week there was a storm and the problem amplified. I was not able to drive until the broken system heated up and then drive wait 10 minutes in a safe location to get the out side air to push in the heat and defrost the front window. I could of, should have, would , whatever, had this fixed earlier because I noticed since 2014 the "weakness" of the a/c and heat output , but I was thinking , you know ,it's an old car, and this was/is reinforced when I have been to the Chevy service center --"get a new car we/they don't have the parts" ... "period" no I am wrong it's Periodt ---sorry I am not that social --and that is my periodt , not Chevy's

Now it is like a new car - fire in the cockpit ---it almost burns my skin
defrost the front window in 2-3 seconds etc..

One more: The lights are yellow on the hvac front - very nice (they were regular clear on my old one)

*it is "wonderful" to get ready for work or meeting etc and summer heat explodes inside the cabin - turn on the weak
a/c and one is sure to take a bath. Arrive late because of the traffic and sweating like you ran a marathon

because we can't get the new parts (old new never used) - I estimate a $1000+ repair value on this one

Again thanks everyone for your help-
Sincerely,
1redline

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some advice if you are removing the audio/radio and hvac unit: The 4 screws that have to be removed are in a perfect position to fall into a "black hole" . Take some paper towels and stuff them over the holes. There is one on each side. Or if you have small fingers be sure to hold the screw when at the moment of release. You can't get them out of these black holes without a few hours of work or if possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts