Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'04 Redline w/180K mi.
I just started seeing a fluid spot on my driveway and suspect it may be the clutch hydraulics - slave cylinder maybe? I have read around and it seems that fixing that requires removing the engine as well as the tranny - is that the case in fact?
Probably a stupid question but how quickly is it likely to get worse? I am refilling the reservoir about two times a week so I guess it is leaking pretty well. Any chance it may stay the way it is or is it going to get worse until whatever seal is leaking goes?
Unrelated, but since I am here, the 'coolant' warning is showing up regularly. It goes away on its own however. I checked the main coolant tank and it is full. Does the intercooler coolant also cause this warning light? I know that has been low at times (and may be now, I need to check it). Last time I refilled it it seems like I had some acceleration issues right afterwards - slightly white exhaust and the engine really struggled when I accelerated. Once I backed off it caught back up but it did that for a few minutes then returned to normal. I recall a few random posts with similar problems but don't recall how those resolved. I wasn't really paying attention at the time, but now I guess I am :oops:
Thanks for any insights someone has. I am looking at trading it in in the next few months and need to know if it is likely to fall apart before then. :) I don't want to put any work into it which I may not need to. And can't really drop the tranny/engine anyway on my own.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Yes. If the slave cylinder is leaking, it needs to be replaced which requires dropping the trans.
Coolant message is probably the sensor in the main tank. Extremely common on all Ions.

As far as the low coolant in the intercooler, imma guess the seals on the endplate are shot and causing a slight leak into the manifold

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. If the slave cylinder is leaking, it needs to be replaced which requires dropping the trans.
Coolant message is probably the sensor in the main tank. Extremely common on all Ions.

As far as the low coolant in the intercooler, imma guess the seals on the endplate are shot and causing a slight leak into the manifold
Thanks. Any thoughts on how long I will be able to keep adding fluid to the reservoir? I get that nothing is going to get better over time but will I be able to keep filling it for another couple of months? Tranny work is likely to run me most of a grand and I'll be lucky to get $500 as a trade.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Really depends on how hard you are on the clutch.
If you're willing to let it go for 500 holla at me 😂 I doubt youre close to me though. Haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing crazy - it has been my dd for the past 5 years. I assume it will make it a few more months then.
Yea, not unless you are up to a road trip to the Pac. NW. :) Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Just take it easy and you'll be alright.

That's a long way away from Texas. I might get hung by my sack if I try to convince my better half I need to take another road trip for a car 😂

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
regarding the intercoolant : If you have the stock

how do you know that it is low?

Reason I say this is because the hot temp mark is low in the tube

My guess is that when it is cold the coolant would be below the hot mark and almost unable to see if it was low

and that you need to check the intercoolant fliud when it is hot otherwise it will give the incorrect level

I usuallly keep a inch or two above the hot mark when it is hot but this goes down when cooling to the hot mark

it is a little strange bur please anyone else want to comment ...go ahead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts